Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How to clean Titanium?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:18 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
Default How to clean Titanium?

I have a couple of questions.

How do you clean titanium? What do you clean it with and what product do you use? On my exhaust I get fingerprints and other marks real easily but they don't come out that well.

Also, due to some mishaps, my titanium tips now have a melted paint and some rear bumper material on it. How do I go about cleaning that **** off without damaging the titanium?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails How to clean Titanium?-dsc00554.jpg   How to clean Titanium?-dsc00558.jpg   How to clean Titanium?-dsc00559.jpg  
Old 06-02-2007, 07:36 PM
turismo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant think of the name off hand, but its the product that you tear into pieces. It comes in a silver can and is like one big cloth inside. It works wonders though. Let me sleep of my hangover and Ill get back to ya
Old 06-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Titanium is relatively similar to 17-4ph (stainless steel) and should be able to be cleaned/polished in the same fashion as other polished ss metals.

just don't use a carbon steel brush to scrape the titanium as that might cause some further damage.

Just try a metal polish and you should see positive results.

What is that on the tip, anyways? Corrosion?
Old 06-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turismo
I cant think of the name off hand, but its the product that you tear into pieces. It comes in a silver can and is like one big cloth inside. It works wonders though. Let me sleep of my hangover and Ill get back to ya
never dull
Old 06-02-2007, 08:47 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by Anomaly
Titanium is relatively similar to 17-4ph (stainless steel) and should be able to be cleaned/polished in the same fashion as other polished ss metals.

just don't use a carbon steel brush to scrape the titanium as that might cause some further damage.

Just try a metal polish and you should see positive results.

What is that on the tip, anyways? Corrosion?
What you see on the bumper is melted paint and bumper material - my tip touched the bottom of the bumper and **** got melted on it.

So what should I use to clean my titanium tips? What should be used to "scrape" off the melted bumper/paint from the tips?
Old 06-02-2007, 09:00 PM
nofeardude87

this is just a theory i have. maybe u could try heat up the exhaust (assuming it's still on your car) then this would cause the stuff on the tips to get gooey, then you could spray on some goo gone and buff like crazy. just a thought...
Old 06-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Anomaly

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
What you see on the bumper is melted paint and bumper material - my tip touched the bottom of the bumper and **** got melted on it.

So what should I use to clean my titanium tips? What should be used to "scrape" off the melted bumper/paint from the tips?

Try wd40 and a tooth brush or a plastic spatula. Follow up with a metal polish.

I can't see that plastic permanently melted on. So if you're going the gentle route, it might take a little time and careful scrubing.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:17 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by nofeardude87
this is just a theory i have. maybe u could try heat up the exhaust (assuming it's still on your car) then this would cause the stuff on the tips to get gooey, then you could spray on some goo gone and buff like crazy. just a thought...
Heating up titanium would cause it to change colors or leave burn marks. I don't want one tip looking different from the other. Also, I may try that if I had a non-fire heater, but I don't have anything like that.

Originally Posted by Anomaly
Try wd40 and a tooth brush or a plastic spatula. Follow up with a metal polish.

I can't see that plastic permanently melted on. So if you're going the gentle route, it might take a little time and careful scrubing.
I guess I'll go try that right now, since I have both available.

This is really pissing me off as I just got this exhaust about 3 weeks ago. It's a special edition Fuji you can't get anymore and it was brand new when I got it!

EDIT:
I've thought about heating up my exhaust tip (when it first happened) and trying to clean it off that way, but I was too afraid that I might discolor it.
However, I thought, "if I discolor one tip, then I'll just discolor the other to match it."
So, I grabbed a small handheld torch and heated it up from the inside of the tip. After it was heated up mildly enough to soften up the compound, I grabbed a cotton towel, sprayed some wd-40 on it and rubbed the **** off. And guess what!?!? IT WORKED!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still gonna use that metal polish to make it pretty. Now, to fix the bumper.......

Last edited by 3hree5ive0ero; 06-02-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:10 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
never dull
+1. Never Dull hands down. Although I'm sponsored by Meguiar's and would love to tell you their metal polish is the best, for this application Never Dull does the job. The problem with regular paste metal polish is it leaves a film on titanium parts. I know because I have a few raw titanium parts on the car. Never Dull is the only thing that gets all the exhaust grime, spots, and finger prints out.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:14 AM
DJ SMITTY
Sponsor
CIN Motorsports

McGuires Swirl Remover! Gets rid of any soot on the bumper and cleans the exhaust to like new.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Anomaly

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
EDIT:
I've thought about heating up my exhaust tip (when it first happened) and trying to clean it off that way, but I was too afraid that I might discolor it.
However, I thought, "if I discolor one tip, then I'll just discolor the other to match it."
So, I grabbed a small handheld torch and heated it up from the inside of the tip. After it was heated up mildly enough to soften up the compound, I grabbed a cotton towel, sprayed some wd-40 on it and rubbed the **** off. And guess what!?!? IT WORKED!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still gonna use that metal polish to make it pretty. Now, to fix the bumper.......

Cool. Glad everything worked out!
Old 06-08-2007, 06:19 AM
turismo

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
never dull

Duh, thanx. Cant believe I couldnt remember the name. Let us know how it turns out!