Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Window Cleaners?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 11:08 AM
zpeedDemon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use regular car wax on my windows except the windshield, it works wonders, the glass *SHINES* as well. All the streaks, water marks etc. comes off. . I assure you guys will be satisfied with the outcome. Try it once it wont hurt its only wax and it washes away on your next car wash. Wax on wax off. Make sure you do it right after you wash ur car.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:31 AM
ukcars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everyone says to use vinegar and water but when I tried it my windows just got really sticky and didn't clean anything. trying a squeegee and dish soap next hopefully that works but while im on this thread has anyone tried one of those long telescopic window cleaning poles? I saw a local window cleaner and he was using one from https://wfp.co.uk/collections/window-cleaning-equipment would have chased him down but he was gone before I could say a word. looks like an effective tool but seems pricey anyone have experience with a product like this?

Last edited by ukcars; 03-10-2024 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:04 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

Originally Posted by ukcars
everyone says to use vinegar and water but when I tried it my windows just got really sticky and didn't clean anything. trying a squeegee and dish soap next hopefully that works
21 year dead thread
Old 03-04-2024, 03:50 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 3,302 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
21 year dead thread
Butt, butt, butt, it's still relevant!!

My problem with the time honored "newpaper n' Windex" solution (to the problem) is.... what the hell is "newspaper"? Haven't had one in my house for decades!
Old 03-05-2024, 04:47 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,112 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
what the hell is "newspaper"?
I think it's that stack of paper sitting under your phone book next to your Blockbuster video card wedged between your CDs and VHS tape rewinding machine with your Polaroid camera.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:36 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
I think it's that stack of paper sitting under your phone book next to your Blockbuster video card wedged between your CDs and VHS tape rewinding machine with your Polaroid camera.
You could be right! There's some yellowed paper in there. BTW, I'm savin' all that shid for when it comes back as "retro cool". Y'know, like 33anda1/3 rpm phonograph records.

And c'mon, gimme some credit... 8-Track and Betamax. Man!
Old 03-05-2024, 09:07 PM
icer5160

Received 461 Likes on 354 Posts

I'm a bit of a detailing fanatic. The best glass cleaning method I have found for exterior glass surfaces is to use my DA polisher with a Glass polishing pad + Glass polish...after of course doing an initial cleaning and wipe down. The DA polisher will super clean the surface and remove hard water spotting or other contaminants without damaging the glass. Once that is done, I follow up with a glass sealer to get that amazing water beading effect when it rains (also helps protect against future buildup). The only downside to this method is that you can't get into tight corners and edges without risking damaging trim or painted surfaces. Usually that's not a problem though since the edges of the glass aren't even visible from inside the car. But if you're a perfectionist, and you must remove all hard water spots, then your best option is to use some vinegar and a razor blade. This method is not for beginners and you can easily scratch the glass or trim/border if you don't know the technique. It's also very time consuming.

For the interior, I stick with Invisible Glass since it's window tint safe. Standard glass care products with ammonia are not good for window tint. Sometimes all you need is distilled water with a glass cleaning microfiber.

That's another part of cleaning glass that's very important. For final touches, you want to use a low-ply microfiber, the glass specific microfibers work the best. These do not leave annoying fibers behind and maintain that nice streak free look.

If you don't have window tint to worry about, Denatured Alcohol works great, but be careful not to get that stuff on rubber and try to avoid plastics. It's not super powerful like acetone or thinners, but it can cause discoloration to plastics and dry out rubber. I only use this stuff when I need to remove sticker/tape residue or other nasty build up on interior glass.
Cheers!
-Icer
Old 03-06-2024, 04:52 AM
Heel Til I Die

Originally Posted by icer5160
That's another part of cleaning glass that's very important. For final touches, you want to use a low-ply microfiber, the glass specific microfibers work the best. These do not leave annoying fibers behind and maintain that nice streak free look.
Interesting. I may check out these glass cleaning microfiber cloths next time I give it the full detail. I must be using the wrong type of microfiber cloth on the glass since I will still notice some (very) faint wipe marks or streaks. For my last step, I like to use a soft, thin chamois cloth (not the thick ones they advertise for drying the entire car exterior).
Old 03-06-2024, 11:04 AM
icer5160

Heel, check out "The Rag Company." They make top quality microfiber products for detailing at affordable prices. I absolutely love their "edgeless" microfibers for polish and wax work. Edgeless meaning no stitching, which means virtual no chance of scratching paint!(Yes microfiber tags or stitching can easily scratch your paint!). Also, I'm absolutely in love with their super absorbent paint drying towel, this single towel can dry my entire 350Z and still have plenty more use left in it.

I could go on, I simply love their stuff. You can purchase on Amazon. I just ordered some of their new Pearl Weave microfibers for Ceramic Coating buffing/leveling. Not totally necessary, but I like having options.

Edit: For a perfect streak free finish after a simple wash (not using glass sealer or DA/polish), I use the two step or two cloth method. First towel is for initial wipe over. For this, I get the towel slightly wet to the touch, which should leave a little bit of glass cleaning residue behind after wiping. For the second pass, I use a dry or slightly damp (with cleaner of your choice) glass cleaning microfiber. This second pass should be done immediately before the cleaner can dry/evaporate and is crucial for eliminating streaks and removing any stray fibers from the 1st towel. You don't want to use heavy pressure for the second pass either. Light to medium pressure should be all that's required. Never use heavy pressure when cleaning interior glass that's tinted, the stitching on the microfiber can scratch the tint if you're not careful. If your towel starts sticking to the glass (surface tension), just give it a little spritz of more glass cleaner or some water (I prefer distilled).
Cheers!
-Icer

Last edited by icer5160; 03-06-2024 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-06-2024, 01:01 PM
Heel Til I Die

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out!

I find car detailing somewhat meditative and relaxing. Maybe you're the same?
Old 03-06-2024, 01:36 PM
icer5160

I find car detailing somewhat meditative and relaxing. Maybe you're the same?
100% The work itself is relaxing/therapeutic. I also enjoy the fruits of the labor. I love seeing the finished product and knowing that "I did that." It's a pride of ownership/craftsmanship kind of thing.

Cheers!
-Icer
Old 03-07-2024, 04:55 AM
Heel Til I Die

Reminds me of that scene in Gran Torino where Clint Eastwood just finished washing his car and he sits back on his porch with his dog drinking a beer while the sun sets.
The following 2 users liked this post by Heel Til I Die:
icer5160 (03-07-2024), MicVelo (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 06:37 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Reminds me of that scene in Gran Torino where Clint Eastwood just finished washing his car and he sits back on his porch with his dog drinking a beer while the sun sets.
And den Bee tries to steal it.

Actually, now that I think of it, that's the actor's real name, not the character name. I like Bee better.