Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Meguiar's ScratchX

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Seel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguiar's ScratchX

I was detailing my car today when I noticed a "scratch". Not sure what it was made with but car shampoo and quick detail sure couldn't do anything to it. It was about 2 1/2 inches long and right next to the door handle. Putting 2 and 2 together I figured it was my g/f's jewelry that probably did it. Anyway, instead of making a big deal about it I just resigned myself to chalking one up to the battle wounds.

I did a quick search in here later for fixing scratches and someone mentioned finger nail polish remover. Tried it, didn't work. Oh well.

I had to go to the grocery store for milk and some other stuff and I went down the car needs aisle to get another "fresh cotton" car tree thingy and out of the corner of my eye I see Meguiar's ScratchX. Read the back and think "Well it's Meguiar's, it's worth a shot."

Fast forward back at home now. Put this stuff to work and let's see what it's got. So I start rubbing it in really good and I cannot believe my eyes . It's working, and working good. Finiished that new spot and then went on the prowl for other "marks". Went to a place I knew I had lost a little bit of finish to because of Goo Gone being rubbed in for too long and worked on that area. BAM! Gone! This stuff is good folks. Have any minor scratches, swirl marks, etc...this stuff will take care of it. Awesome!
Old 06-23-2007, 04:29 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it works for the time being but its basically just a filler, the scratch is still there. Couple car washes, it will come right back. You need to rub that stuff on pretty good too and keep working it.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Seel

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350
it works for the time being but its basically just a filler, the scratch is still there. Couple car washes, it will come right back. You need to rub that stuff on pretty good too and keep working it.
Im going to go try to wash it off the next time I wash. I want to see if it will come back.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:56 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by Seel
Im going to go try to wash it off the next time I wash. I want to see if it will come back.

oh it will but when i got a semi-deep scratch in the clear on my hood, filling it in made me feel a whole lot better as long as you can't see it for the time being that it last.

The good thing is if scratch x filled in that scratch, a good polish will take it right out and can be repaired easily.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Seel

oh it will but when i got a semi-deep scratch in the clear on my hood, filling it in made me feel a whole lot better as long as you can't see it for the time being that it last.

The good thing is if scratch x filled in that scratch, a good polish will take it right out and can be repaired easily.
What kind of polish should I go with??? I don't own an orbital buffer so something I can do by hand. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:38 PM
stormcrow

actually, it's an abrasive that polishes the clear coat... the abrasives remove the scratches by leveling out the clear coat... it's not, at all, a filler... but, you are correct that it takes some work to get the deeper scratches out...
Old 06-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Seel

Originally Posted by stormcrow
actually, it's an abrasive that polishes the clear coat... the abrasives remove the scratches by leveling out the clear coat... it's not, at all, a filler... but, you are correct that it takes some work to get the deeper scratches out...
So I have removed the scratch completely?
Old 06-23-2007, 06:54 PM
stormcrow

So I have removed the scratch completely?
i would say so... just look at it in all different types of light to make doubly sure...
Old 06-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Seel

I did that after I put that stuff on because I was freakin amazed. I couldn't see anything...now I'm really stoked...
Old 06-23-2007, 07:48 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by stormcrow

true but i was meaning filler as the scratch will back up. You'll know what i mean later. Some other scratches may appear using this as well. It uses diminishing abrasives meaning its more abrasive in teh beginning and not at the end. So using more of new stuff is better then keep rubbing the same application in one spot.

The only way i use this is when sometimes using micro fiber towels give micro scratches and a quick wipe with it works well.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:47 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I was detailing my car today when I noticed a "scratch". Not sure what it was made with but car shampoo and quick detail sure couldn't do anything to it. It was about 2 1/2 inches long and right next to the door handle. Putting 2 and 2 together I figured it was my g/f's jewelry that probably did it. Anyway, instead of making a big deal about it I just resigned myself to chalking one up to the battle wounds.
Meguiar's FTW All of their products deliver great results. Have you seen my thread yet?

https://my350z.com/forum/cleaning-and-detailing/275286-meguiar-s-meguiars-a-complete-guide-of-products-to-prep-your-car-for-the-show.html
Old 06-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Seel

Originally Posted by vo7848
Meguiar's FTW All of their products deliver great results. Have you seen my thread yet?

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275286
Meguiar's does make some very nice stuff FTW