Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Which Zymol wax for Silverstone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 05:07 AM
StreetOC192

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Zymol wax for Silverstone?

I'm looking to get some Zymol to check out what results I get. I have the HD Cleanse already but can't figure out which wax would be best for my car. I see the 'Carbon' which would be for my Silverstone, but they also have a 'Japon' which is for Japanese paints. Is there a preferred product for the Z? Is the paint on the Z even a Japanese paint, and why would Japanese paint be different from American paint?
Old 07-05-2007, 04:57 AM
StreetOC192

Just in case anyone else is interested in this information, I emailed Zymol and this is the response I got:

Ken,

The two waxes that you mention are made of roughly the same components. However, the difference lies in the amount of components. The Japon wax will set up faster than the carbon because Japanese paint tends to be hard yet very easily susceptible to scratching. The Japon should in most cases reduce this problem. You're on the right track as the HD should remove the swirl marks and minor scratches. You might consider a wax enhancer, such as our field glaze for in-between waxings. This will also remove fingerprints, smudges and minor soiling while enhancing the shine.

Best Regards,

Dave Dudek
zymoltech@zymol.com
Old 07-05-2007, 05:31 AM
sibble

Thumbs up

Yea, I'd use the Japon wax. I used to have the Carbon wax, I used it on my old 99 red firebird, worked like a dream. I'd use the Japon wax for any color Japanese car. I haven't tried it yet though, I plan to buy soon. Let me know how you like it please.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:35 AM
StreetOC192

I just ordered the Lehm clay bar and lube and a jar of the Japon wax. As I said above I already bought HD Cleanse, so as soon as I get the stuff I just ordered I will be doing the whole process. I will take before and after pics. My car was purchased used and seems to have some swirling that may have been cause by a carwash or just a careless hand wash at some point by the previous owner.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:59 AM
StreetOC192

Default Here are my before pics

After a wash with Maguiars Gold Class and a chamois dry. The last wax was about 2 months ago. Not bad looking to me, but I think it could be better, which is why I am going to use the Zymol clay bar, HD Cleanse, and Japon wax. My product should be delivered today or tomorrow. I should get to this by the end of the week.

Front

Right side

Left side

Front of right fender

Left rear

Back of right front fender

Last edited by StreetOC192; 07-09-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:32 AM
StreetOC192

Default Here are the After Pics

OK, Here are the pics after the Zymol process. I tried to put the car in the same spot in the driveway and take pics around the same time of day as my before pics.

The process:
Meguiars Gold Class wash
Zymol Lehm clay bar
Meguiars Gold Class wash
Zymol HD Cleanse
Zymol Japon wax

The Arsenal

Front

Right Side

Left Side

Front of right fender

Left Rear

Back of right front fender

Whole side shot
Old 07-12-2007, 02:20 PM
StreetOC192

Default My final thoughts

The clay bar was simple. This was my first try at claying. I was nervous I would scew up the paint at first, but realized once I started that it would be near impossible to mess up the paint. It did clean up a lot of 'stuff' that I was not able to remove in the past. And my front bumper no longer has bugs imbedded in the paint. I think I do still need to respray the front bumper though. Lots of chips in the paint.

The HD Cleanse seemed to do nothing, however I did use this following the clay bar, so there may not have been anything for it to clean. Maybe it did do something that I can't see. It may have made my slight swirl marks a little less noticable, but that's all I notice. It is a biotch to get off. I ended up spritzing with a water bottle and plain water which helped me rub it out.

The Zymol Japon is a FAR cry from the white pasty carnauba waxes that I remember using years ago. I thought it was quite easy on and off. no hard buffing needed. I used an orange colored microfiber buffing towel from Target to remove the wax and it came off quite easily. I've never tried Zaino, but I can't imagine anything being even easier than the Zymol Japon. In recent years, I've used nothing but Meguiars liquid waxes, so I may have fallen behind the times when it comes to wax technology, but I feel that for the money ($49 online) the Japon is a great deal. It would appear I will get at least 10-15 waxings out of 1 jar.

Overall, this was a great system. I also have the Zymol cleaner wax that I have used in the past and thought it was a great product, but the Zymol Japon looks to me to have a richer, warmer shine to it. These pictures don't do it justice. A coworker of mine, and fellow car enthusiast actually said to me today that my car looks WET!!!! I felt so good inside after hearing that.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 07-12-2007 at 02:25 PM.