Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

what the hell is this and how do i get it off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 04:24 PM
DmitryZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what the hell is this and how do i get it off?

I noticed this thing probably 4 weeks ago. It looked almost like a rust spot underneath the paint. When I first noticed it I thought it was a paint job flaw. Since I can’t leave anything like that alone (I am ****), I tried rubbing a little harder with a terry cloth towel when I was drying my car after a wash. After some serious rubbing this thing came off. I figured no big deal, something I picked up on the road, and forgot about it. Today, I was going to wash my car in preparation for zaino this weekend (I planned on washing it a couple times) and what do I see….I almost cried…. This yellow #$%^ is all over my car. Aaaaaaaahhhhhh! It comes from these little leaves that kind of look like pine needle but they are not (I don’t think they are - I don’t park near any pine trees). They fall on the car and attach themselves with some kind of tree sap substance. That stuff is like glue. It does not come off and it is hard. Basically, it sort of comes off with dove soap and some serious rubbing with a terry cloth towel. But even with this method there is sometimes a small yellow discoloration left.

I need to rub pretty hard to a point where I feel I am doing some damage to my finish. I didn’t mind when there was only one spot 4 weeks ago but I don’t feel comfortable doing this all over my car. So far I tried using a terry cloth towel with some dove soap.

Any suggestions on removing tree sap or other tough stains? What should I be using? Clay? Alcohol? Steel wool? Varnish Stripper? Belt sander?

Thanks,

Dmitry
Attached Thumbnails what the hell is this and how do i get it off?-image-1a.jpg  
Old 05-15-2003, 04:26 PM
DmitryZ

and another
Attached Thumbnails what the hell is this and how do i get it off?-image-4a.jpg  
Old 05-15-2003, 04:31 PM
DmitryZ

my pictures keep disappearing dammit
Attached Thumbnails what the hell is this and how do i get it off?-image-3a.jpg  
Old 05-15-2003, 04:31 PM
DmitryZ

last one
Attached Thumbnails what the hell is this and how do i get it off?-image-2a.jpg  
Old 05-15-2003, 04:34 PM
DmitryZ

I probably should have posted this in the detailing forum…sorry
Old 05-15-2003, 04:56 PM
RANDY350Z

Try using Honda Plastic spray cleaner/detailer. Works great! Spray it on that residue, let it sit for a minute then wipe. Also if it is leaving a "disoloration" use a light scratch remover and then polishing compound--very WET. Then re wax. This should take any discoloration out. Final note---wax and polish your car more often---I use Mother's wax--This helps build a barrier between your paint and any contaniments that will harm your finish.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:10 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

On another thread someone mention a problem with tree sap. One suggestion that worked was....believe it or not....margarine. You might try that. Do a search if you don't believe it.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:19 PM
WayneTN

I use a Bug & Tar remover for stuff like this. It works great, but you don't want to use a lot and rub more than you need to.

WayneTN
Old 05-15-2003, 08:35 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had excellent experience with the Clay Bar that you can get from various places (I got mine from Zaino).

Before you Zaino, you rub the clay bar lightly over the car and it quickly picks up sap, tar, even hard water stains.

I tested it on my old truck when I was cleaning it up to sell, and it worked great. You just need to Zaino the car soon afterwards since the bar takes off pretty much everything.

-D'oh!