Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

SUPERBLACK350's ULTIMATE DETAIL GUIDE w/PICS

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:32 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redlude97
so are you using a single mit for washing the entire car?

I'm using a SHMITT (it's a special wash mit that doesn't cause and scratches) on the car's paint and i'm using that wool in the pics for the door jambs only.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:29 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great right up man this should be a sticky.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
Thanks. Yeah, something about knowing that every part and panel is clean makes me feel better. I sometimes even clean underneath my car
Nice write Superblack. Only thing I do differently is when washing around doors, hatch, is have a towel around to protect carpets etc.

I used to do show grooming, always great to get the car elevated for under car cleaning and detail work. Mirrors under cars are not kind otherwise. So satisfying to see the before and after.

Look forward to see what your next steps are.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:52 PM
black06z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha. this is great!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:56 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by BRONZEE
Nice write Superblack. Only thing I do differently is when washing around doors, hatch, is have a towel around to protect carpets etc.

I used to do show grooming, always great to get the car elevated for under car cleaning and detail work. Mirrors under cars are not kind otherwise. So satisfying to see the before and after.

Look forward to see what your next steps are.
Don't worry, i steam cleaned with a professional vacuum. This is the reason why i used a mitt for the jambs. I'm sorry i didn't take pics of that step. I had to give the pro vac back to my friend.

Thanks, i'm working on it . Should have some updated pics tomorow.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:03 AM
SuperBlack350z

thanks for the support guys. At first i thought the 350z crowd wasn't into detailing their cars. I was goign to stop this thread but i think i will keep going.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:18 AM
Bboy Hustler

damn i thought i was the only **** detailer of my black Z... keep up the good work.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:50 PM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I might have to ask for your services.....

Excellent write-up BTW
Old 10-16-2007, 01:19 PM
SuperBlack350z

thanks guys.

Dont' worry, i'll update this soon. I have a lot of pics to upload. I'm trying to just finish the rest of the project and post pics up. I'm working on interior right now.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:30 PM
reptile718

WOW great work man, going to the Charlotte area any time soon? I could definitely use a good detail.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:34 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by reptile718
WOW great work man, going to the Charlotte area any time soon? I could definitely use a good detail.
Thanks. I actually do go up to charlotte from time to time to help some friends with their cars mechanically and doing details. What color z do you have?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:21 PM
SuperBlack350z

Default Update

I took off the mudflaps for an even better polish job. This isn't needed but i just wanted to do a thorough job. You can skip this if you want.

After taking them off, observe them. They should pretty dirty. It collects dirt inside. So spray these off, wash with soap, and let dry, You can polish this in a bit.

Here is a shot of what i'll be using. This is Pinnacle XMT line. Even has a 350z on it..LOL, and no, that isn't why i bought it.

When you polish and want to take out swirls and scratches, make sure you don't do a huge area at a time. Try to mark off which areas you are going to do . Here is a quick template of what i mean. I do each section for about 5 minutes, so it will take a pretty long time for this whole polish process.

Don't forget to polish the things people forget. All of the following i always see on people's 350z and it makes the car look horrible in the sun or in floresent lighting.

When polishing with an aggresive polish, start out with a low speed and get that section fully covered. Then turn the speed all the way up and start going back and forth very slow with around 25lbs of pressure. Go side to side, then up and down, make sure you are getting every part covered. After the polish is fully broken down, take a clean microfiber and take it off and check your work. if you are happy, then go to the next step, if not, do another pass. This will take around 4 hours if you don't take a break but most likely be around 6+ hours depending on what you are correcting.

After you are done doing the aggressive polish, use a light swirl remover for the little scratches or micromarring that the machine left. You can move the machine faster this time because you aren't taking out huge scratches or bad swirls. This will take approximately 2 hours if you dont' take a break which mostly likely won't happen. So i would say 4 hours as a safe bet.

After you are done with the light swirl remover, move on to a glaze. This will make the paint stand out a bit more. I would recommend this to people with pearl in the paint. Helps a good amount. This is very easy. You can use the machine on a low speed and spread across the whole car in big sections. should take less than 30 minutes.

Time for wax. I always like sealing the paint with carnuba wax. It doesn't last as long as synthetic wax but it will give a show quality look to it. i always do this by hand for some reason. I can do it with a machine, but waxing by hand is just better to me. Kinda knowing i'm finalizing the whole machine process.

Spread across the clean panels. Use a VERY LIGHT COAT. More wax doesn't mean better shine. It will just cake up. Dont' over do it.

After that, buff the wax off with a clean high quality microfiber towel.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:31 PM
SuperBlack350z

Here i am polishing all the mini scratches, swirls, and oxidations on my tail lights. It was a huge noticable difference since i bought these lights used. The whole tail light just seems much more red and glossy.

Start putting the wheels back on, tail lights back in, mudflaps back on and do another quick wash. Park your car in the sun and watch your work. Here is my car on a semi sunny day. I'm waiting for the sun to come out someday this week so i can show you how shiny a car can get. Please don't mind the wheels. This is basically what i just do real quick to see my work. I still have lots to do. The reflections on my car is very clear. Almost as a mirror. No more swirls.

Roof

hood

Door. You can see my other car..lol

Old 10-16-2007, 02:40 PM
SuperBlack350z

That is it for now. I will start doing my interior. I want to drive my car so bad. I haven't driven the beast in two weeks. If the sun comes out some day this week, i'll be taking better pics for you guys.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:47 PM
reptile718

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
Thanks. I actually do go up to charlotte from time to time to help some friends with their cars mechanically and doing details. What color z do you have?
Your hired! I live in Huntersville right outside of Charlotte. My Z is SilverStone. Let me know if you can make it this way anytime soon. As stated before my Z could really use a good detail. Thanks
Old 10-16-2007, 03:04 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by reptile718
Your hired! I live in Huntersville right outside of Charlotte. My Z is SilverStone. Let me know if you can make it this way anytime soon. As stated before my Z could really use a good detail. Thanks
Sounds good. I'd love to do a silverstone. I got a couple of things i want to try to one. It seems people can't get white and silver to shine as much. I would beg to differ though.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:15 PM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nice write up.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Get_Zwole

very nice writeup cant wait to see you get busy on the interior. thanks for the pics.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:41 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude this is a great wright up and you make us semi pro detailers very proud.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:26 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Dude this is a great wright up and you make us semi pro detailers very proud.
lol. thanks. Yeah, this guide would be a whole lot better if i can actually have a second person that actually take pics of me doing something. It would be so much better. I feel like some of the things i explain in words aren't enough for the beginners(machine polishing). I might make a little video of the PC.

Thanks for the rest of you guys.

Quick Reply: SUPERBLACK350's ULTIMATE DETAIL GUIDE w/PICS