Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

SUPERBLACK350's ULTIMATE DETAIL GUIDE w/PICS

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:19 AM
rockinbboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude.....thats sick. I don't have the patience/time that you do.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:54 AM
gambino

Great write-up. I am a full time detailer, so unfortunately when it comes time to do my own vehicle, I am burned out on detailing and dont spend as much time as I should! I will be cleaning it really good this weekend or sometime next week for pictures with the new Volk GTFs
Old 10-17-2007, 03:36 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gambino
Great write-up. I am a full time detailer, so unfortunately when it comes time to do my own vehicle, I am burned out on detailing and dont spend as much time as I should! I will be cleaning it really good this weekend or sometime next week for pictures with the new Volk GTFs

tell me about it. It's even harder when my car is black. Atleast i work on all cars as if they were on my own. It doesn't matter if the car cost 1000 or 100,000. Post up your pics when you can.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:39 PM
chamois

SuperBlack350, What do you recommend is the best and easiest way to remove wax's and polishes. 100% cotten terry towels or microfiber or somekind of orbital bonnet? i find that removing the wax is the hardest part of the whole thing it just dries on too quickly. what do you suggest?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:47 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by chamois
SuperBlack350, What do you recommend is the best and easiest way to remove wax's and polishes. 100% cotten terry towels or microfiber or somekind of orbital bonnet? i find that removing the wax is the hardest part of the whole thing it just dries on too quickly. what do you suggest?
what product are you using? Most of the time, if you are having a hard time taking off the wax, you are using too much. A very light layer will do. Some waxes are very easy to use and you can put it all over the car before you start taking the wax back off. For the harder wax, do couple panels at a time, and when you see the wax starting to dry and haze up, start taking it off. It should comeoff easy.

I use very plush microfiber. It has a static charge so it will make it a bit better. I haven't found high quality enough terry cloth towels that doesn't leave small scratches behind. So i use microfiber towels for both polish and wax.

You don't have to use a machine with bonnet, but it will make it a lot easier. I rather still do it by hand and leave the polishing for the machine.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:05 PM
gambino

I have never seen a terry cloth that doesnt scratch. I only use microfibers on my car!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:06 PM
gambino

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
tell me about it. It's even harder when my car is black. Atleast i work on all cars as if they were on my own. It doesn't matter if the car cost 1000 or 100,000. Post up your pics when you can.
Tell me about it, I think I am more picky with customers cars than my own. I guess thats why we get people from all over the state coming to our shop haha
Old 10-17-2007, 04:10 PM
sk26dett

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great write up, thanks

My black paint REALLLY needs some help. How effective is a regular buffer like this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CRO35E/...E&linkCode=asn

i've had it for years but never really used it. thanks
Old 10-17-2007, 07:09 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by sk26dett
great write up, thanks

My black paint REALLLY needs some help. How effective is a regular buffer like this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CRO35E/...E&linkCode=asn

i've had it for years but never really used it. thanks
that won't help at all. There is a guy who reviewed it in the link. He said dont buy and waste your money on it.

Black is going to need atleast a dual action polisher. I can find a place for you that it costs about 100 shipped and is your best bet.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:31 PM
reptile718

PM sent!
Old 10-18-2007, 05:01 AM
chamois

I have been using griots Garage best of show wax, polishes, and one step sealant. I think that I probably have been using to much at a time. I will try to use less. thanks. I also use an orbital buffer. thanks for the tip
Old 10-20-2007, 04:59 AM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by chamois
I have been using griots Garage best of show wax, polishes, and one step sealant. I think that I probably have been using to much at a time. I will try to use less. thanks. I also use an orbital buffer. thanks for the tip
Griots make nice stuff as well. Yeah, less is better but it will depend on how big of an area you are working and product. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:59 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
Sounds good. I'd love to do a silverstone. I got a couple of things i want to try to one. It seems people can't get white and silver to shine as much. I would beg to differ though.
I'd like to hear your advice on getting a Silver car to shine. I am thinking about Pinnacle Sign II series kit. Clean with the Pinnacle Paintwork cleansing lotion & follow up with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and a coat of Signature Series II paste wax. Have not decided on the sealant step or not. Car is garaged when not driven.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:53 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Damn nice job man. I will deff. be using this thread when I detail my car next. Damn. The pics of the car and the ground are awesome. Almost looks like a cheap cameras photo... (good camera + your car = Chitty camera's pics )

Keep it up Buddy.

Chris
Old 10-27-2007, 10:27 AM
BabyZiLLa

Any problems with the degreaser used on Page one with Volk Clear Coats, specifically my GT-S. These are some picky wheels so i have to be picky about chemicals that touch them.

I realize your spraying the back of the wheel but its guarnteed to get some spill over onto the lips.

I LOVE the wheel well cleaning guide. So many times at car shows you see a nice car with filthy wheel wells.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by BabyZiLLa
Any problems with the degreaser used on Page one with Volk Clear Coats, specifically my GT-S. These are some picky wheels so i have to be picky about chemicals that touch them.

I realize your spraying the back of the wheel but its guarnteed to get some spill over onto the lips.

I LOVE the wheel well cleaning guide. So many times at car shows you see a nice car with filthy wheel wells.
If you're concerned about using too harsh of a chemical on your polished lips use a pH neutral product. Automotive shampoos are a good option if you wash weekly but sometimes they are not strong enough to remove embedded brake dust. In these situations I'd recommend a wheel cleaner like the P21S Wheel Gel. This product is safe on all wheels and is a highly effective wheel cleaner.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-27-2007, 11:52 AM
zpeedDemon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great thread subscribed.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:24 PM
aleicgrant

I have about 1300 miles on my 07 and found some pretty good water spots across the hood in the right light. I gotta be honest, I have jumped out of a place and done all sorts of crazy things but the thought of using a PC on my new hood scares the ***** out of me. Can I fly you down
Old 11-05-2007, 07:25 PM
aleicgrant

I have a pikes peak white btw
Old 11-05-2007, 08:04 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by aleicgrant
I have about 1300 miles on my 07 and found some pretty good water spots across the hood in the right light. I gotta be honest, I have jumped out of a place and done all sorts of crazy things but the thought of using a PC on my new hood scares the ***** out of me. Can I fly you down

LOL, buy me a plane ticket.

I love to do white to be honest. It's the best color to do. I can make the white look really good with a PC/Rotary. Since your car is new, i would use a PC. Waterspots aren't hard at all to take out though. Don't be scared of the PC.

Quick Reply: SUPERBLACK350's ULTIMATE DETAIL GUIDE w/PICS