Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

SUPERBLACK350's ULTIMATE DETAIL GUIDE w/PICS

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:37 AM
PrevWon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:09 AM
donricouga

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
Thanks guys. I'll be doing an interior/engine/etc write up once the weather gets a bit better.
Great write up man. I'll try this one day when i have time. Though i may not be as meticulous as you. I prob won't spend more than 3 hours doing mine

I am looking forward to the interior/engine write up. Perhaps an undercarriage one too !
Old 04-04-2008, 07:33 AM
ct350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

god you have wayyyy to much free time on your hands...lol

but great write up and beautiful results dude!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:16 AM
Lento

Hey Superblack I was hoping you could answer a few questions to me as I have just bought a black 350z.

I noticed from the lines of the wax in one of the pictures that you seemed to have stroked the wax from side to side instead of the traditional circles (wax on wax off) sort of thing.

1)Is this what you did for the whole car? Are the long strokes when waxing/polishing/contaminate cleaning, better than the circles so you do not create swirl marks?

2) Also I was thinking about buying a power washer that conncects to a soap dispenser, and low power nozzel, Is the 2 bucket approach the best way or should I buy the powerwasher? I find it seems to take the dirt off easier than the settings on my hose.

3) I plan on doing the whole detailing process by hand, and was planning on using a 3 step process by Meguires or Mothers, with the 3rd step being a synthetic wax then putting paste wax on top.

Do you have any experience with these companies or the 3/4 step processes. (Contaminate/swirl mark remover, polish, synthetic wax, paste wax)

Thank you for this thread especially for noobs like me
Old 04-15-2008, 05:37 AM
chamois

Originally Posted by Lento
Hey Superblack I was hoping you could answer a few questions to me as I have just bought a black 350z.

I noticed from the lines of the wax in one of the pictures that you seemed to have stroked the wax from side to side instead of the traditional circles (wax on wax off) sort of thing.

1)Is this what you did for the whole car? Are the long strokes when waxing/polishing/contaminate cleaning, better than the circles so you do not create swirl marks?

2) Also I was thinking about buying a power washer that conncects to a soap dispenser, and low power nozzel, Is the 2 bucket approach the best way or should I buy the powerwasher? I find it seems to take the dirt off easier than the settings on my hose.

3) I plan on doing the whole detailing process by hand, and was planning on using a 3 step process by Meguires or Mothers, with the 3rd step being a synthetic wax then putting paste wax on top.

Do you have any experience with these companies or the 3/4 step processes. (Contaminate/swirl mark remover, polish, synthetic wax, paste wax)

I can answer a few of these for you
1. it is a good idea to go in straight back and forth direction, for horizontal surfaces such as hood and hatch, go front to back, for vertical surfaces go top to bottom. by only going one way you will not create swirls in your paint.
2. I and many others simply use two buckets one w/ water and one with soap, this is my favorite way to wash.
hopefully that helps til superblack350z can finish answering your questions!
Old 04-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Lento

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2008, 06:31 AM
engiNERD350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey SuperBlack, if I plan on using Zaino at the end, should I skip the XMT caranuba glaze step? I know you finished up with more caranuba wax, but Zaino's procedure mentions getting rid of all old waxes before applying it.

I have Zaino already. I am about to purchase the PC kit. Please let me know ASAP if you can. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:16 AM
ray3889

wow
Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by donricouga
Great write up man. I'll try this one day when i have time. Though i may not be as meticulous as you. I prob won't spend more than 3 hours doing mine

I am looking forward to the interior/engine write up. Perhaps an undercarriage one too !

Thanks. I just did an undercarriage on the life the other day. I wish i would of saved it. I'm trying to buy my own camera now instead of borrowing my friend's cameras.

Originally Posted by ct350z
god you have wayyyy to much free time on your hands...lol

but great write up and beautiful results dude!!!
lol, unfortunately, i don't have taht much time. I actually had the car on jackstands for a week. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Lento

1. Yes, i do an up down then side to side motion over lapping. When waxing, even though it has no abrasives, it's a little insurance to make sure dust or dirt is not trapped anywhere causing swirls in the paint. So i like to do a back and forth motion.

2. Power washer is nice. I have one that has a soap dispenser. I use it as a foam gun. Works so well. There is time where i don't even use buckets because the suds in teh soap make all the dirt just fall to the floor. Powerwasher can get a lot of dirt out in the fenderwells , under the car, etc.

3. I have use the three step cleaner. Honestly, it's just a waste of money. I would rather use other stuff that yields better results. Let me warn you, doing it by hand will be VERY tedious and will get very little results. My three step process is in this pic up at the top. I think i threw the stuff away last month. If i still had it, i would of let you have it for free.

4. For summer, i like to use carnuaba waxes and in the winter, i like to use syntentic waxes. Swirl removers by hand is very hard. The only product i used was 3m Professional hand glaze body shop series. It actually worked very well by hand. I think you can order a bottle at any body shop that has a license to buy the stuff. It's 25 bucks a bottle.

Originally Posted by engiNERD350Z
Hey SuperBlack, if I plan on using Zaino at the end, should I skip the XMT caranuba glaze step? I know you finished up with more caranuba wax, but Zaino's procedure mentions getting rid of all old waxes before applying it.

I have Zaino already. I am about to purchase the PC kit. Please let me know ASAP if you can. Thanks.

you can skip the XMT carnauba glaze step..yes. after a polish, there will be no wax on the paint yet so zaino will be ok.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Lento

Haha thats quite a collection you got there.

Thank you very much, I guess if I am going to get the good products I should get a Porter Cable as well.

I like your Idea of going real wax in the summer and synthetic in the winter. Thank you for all you help Superblack
Old 04-21-2008, 12:24 PM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

PM sent SuperBlack.....

Old 04-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Specv_USMC

oh man... my black z is so far gone, im talking some swirls and bug hits that I failed to remove by the first wash, as in they have been there for a few days. Is there hope? I really enjoyed reading your thread. It makes me feel like so much more can and needs to be done.

MIke
Old 04-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Justin07Z

Nice, detailed write-up. Good work.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:21 PM
itsjoshufocker

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

superblack, im just curious. how do you maintain this kinda of shine? i know after a wash my Z (superblack too) gets things like dust and pollen on it.. its really annoying. can you wash the car after applying the wax on it? or do you have to rewax?

also ive been trying really hard to get the swirls out of my paint with a PC porter cable but no luck. do you think it could be the product? (nuwax and turtle wax swirl remover) or just technique? (i was working in rather large areas)

thanks for any help!! i definitely want to get my paint of to par with yours!
Old 04-21-2008, 04:31 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by itsjoshufocker
superblack, im just curious. how do you maintain this kinda of shine? i know after a wash my Z (superblack too) gets things like dust and pollen on it.. its really annoying. can you wash the car after applying the wax on it? or do you have to rewax?

also ive been trying really hard to get the swirls out of my paint with a PC porter cable but no luck. do you think it could be the product? (nuwax and turtle wax swirl remover) or just technique? (i was working in rather large areas)

thanks for any help!! i definitely want to get my paint of to par with yours!

Well, after a wash, car is going to get dust/pollen/contaminants on it no matter what you do. It's part of driving or the environment. I dont' use any quick detailers because it scratches your car for sure. I don't care what anyone says. Pro detailers will tell you the same. I just wait for the next time to wash my car.

You can wash your car after you wax, yes. Try not to use too much shampoo or it will strip it. You don't have to rewash after every wax. Depending on what wax you use as well. Some will last a lot longer than others.

Yes, it's your products you are using. You also need to match your product with the right pad as well for the PC depending the condition of your paint. For example, If you put some swirl remover on a black pad (non abrasive) and work it into your paint, you won't have any progress really.

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:23 AM
Louis21

Awesome post, I honestly wish you were around south FL! I have been looking into getting a PC since I got my car last year. My car is black as well and I have been careful with washing but you get your small swirls regardless as well as water marks on certain lights. Unfortunately for me I live in an apartment complex so even for regular washing and waxing I have to go to a friend's house and use his water. I had a couple of questions for you
1) Given I live in an apt. and therefore have no garage..is it even worth it getting the PC? My car is not in bad shape, just like i said some light swirls and some water marks..but still i don't have the luxury of being able to start and take a break or really taking 6+ hours on it because i'd have to do it outside. (South florida = 85 + degrees most of the year and rain when you least expect it)
2) How do you deal with minor chips in the paint when it comes to buffing will the buffer take out any touch up paint you have in the rock chips? will it make them worse/better?
3)Kind of a repeat of #1 in a way, but given that little bit of info as far as condition if the car (1 year old car, black, only very minor swirling and some water spots visible at certain light..) would the process change as far as still having to use the harsher polish in orange pad and the the lighter polish or can the first one be skipped and therefore be able to complete the polish in less time?
Thanks!
Old 08-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Nukiz0r
350Z-holic

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Bump for great justice. What happened to the interior section you were going to do? Also, let me make sure I have this right -

Do you wash first then clay bar? Or use the detailing liquid, clay bar then wash the car? I've been told both, wondering which is the best? Or should I wash, claybar, wash again? I won't be waxing today, just washing, and I'm a total noob at this.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:41 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by Nuki06FireZ
Bump for great justice. What happened to the interior section you were going to do? Also, let me make sure I have this right -

Do you wash first then clay bar? Or use the detailing liquid, clay bar then wash the car? I've been told both, wondering which is the best? Or should I wash, claybar, wash again? I won't be waxing today, just washing, and I'm a total noob at this.
I'm currently working on interior/exterior/engine as we speak.

yes, you wash, clay bar with a bar and quick detailer, rewash again. I know it seems like a long process but i promise you it will be worth it.

Usually when i claybar, the first wash, i don't dry the car perfect like i would do normally since you are about to rewash anyways after the claybar. Just make sure you wash the car really good. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:06 AM
SuperBlack350z

well guys, i've been working on the new guide for a little bit. But now i got a camera that takes better pics so i'm going to start all over again. I'm trying to make a very detailed guide for my350z.

I was hoping to get free products from Migliore (sponsor products from this site) and do a review on them but couldn't do that so i'm just going to use products that i know will work instead.

i've been happy messaging all of you guys that have been supporting me with compliments and questions. I will make sure to lislt products and where to get them for future references. I never thought the feedback would be this big but i guess a lot of you are very interested in detailing as well.

STAY TUNED!
Old 08-23-2008, 11:35 AM
350zx6r

How do I remove swirl marks? ive been taking good care of my z but its getting nastyyyyyy....

Quick Reply: SUPERBLACK350's ULTIMATE DETAIL GUIDE w/PICS