Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Rusty Paint Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 04:36 AM
jcleary47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty Paint Chip?

I've gone through a couple of threads that gave me a little bit of information, however I want to talk to people who have had this issue and talk to them about how they dealt with it.

There is a tiny paint chip on my front quarter panel just in front of the wheel well. It is very small, probably a little bit bigger than the tip of a ball point pen.

It looks like there is a little bit of rust forming. I've read about people using some type of an abbrasive to remove the rust and then applying a treatment before putting on the primer and touch up paint and clear coat.

I don't exactly feel comfortable trying to go at this tiny chip with sand paper, so is there a better solution to handling this?

I'd like to resolve it before the rust has a chance to spread underneath.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:53 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

RustOleum paint works well.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:35 AM
jcleary47

What about cleaning off the rust? A lot of the threads I searched mentioned people using a small piece of sandpaper wrapped around something with a pointed tip. The chip is so small I don't know how well that would work without scratching the clear coat around it.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:40 AM
skr00ball

I have a chip like that in the same spot. It sucks, hopefully something will work.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:14 AM
jcleary47

Yea, I mean, there are plenty of products to make it work, I guess my only issue is deciding what the best method is. One way or another I'm going to scrape off the rust, apply a layer of rustoleum to prevent rust from forming again, 1 coat of primer, 2 coats of nissan paint, then a layer of clearcoat.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:42 AM
skr00ball

Are you gonna just paint the fender?
Old 02-20-2008, 10:19 AM
05Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same thing but on my roof. I'm just going to take it to a body shop so that it's done right. This car is to nice for a DIY unless you've done this before.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:12 AM
jcleary47

How much do you think getting a paint chip fixed at a body shop will cost?
Old 02-20-2008, 11:25 AM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by jcleary47
What about cleaning off the rust? A lot of the threads I searched mentioned people using a small piece of sandpaper wrapped around something with a pointed tip. The chip is so small I don't know how well that would work without scratching the clear coat around it.
That's what I did. I had it on the very same spot, right on the fender. Carefully sanded it down to the primer, and applied touchup. Can't see it anymore.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:53 AM
davidv

I just cover the chip with a dab of RustOleum. Then another coat of Nissan touch-up paint.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:58 AM
jeff91ta

http://www.langka.com/prep-pen-p-51....41ca1712fff678

I've used the Langka Prep pen..... it's a fiberglass pen used to remove rust in tight areas such as a paint chip.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:17 AM
jcleary47

Funny that I see this post again now, as I just started repairing this paint chip this week. Well last weekend, but I had a bit of a problem.

I ordered some touch-up paint from paintscratch.com I think it was, and started using it, and then I lost the touch-up pen somehow, so I went to a nissan dealership and got their touch-up paint.

I don't know why, but the nissan touch-up paint lifted the paint that I ordered online, so I had to start over last night.

It's quite tedious and a real pain trying to get nice even coats. I'm going to have to be more paitent this time around because I believe I was a little too hasty when I tried to compound the basecoat to smooth it and I think that's what helped pull some of the paint back out of the chip. Arggg.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:31 AM
jeff91ta

I'm not sure how big the chip is or what kind of brush or pen you're using but I've heard that using a toothpick to apply the touch-up paint works great on tiny chips.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:12 AM
jcleary47

I almost flipped my **** last night. I had a nice even coat on there, let it dry for quite some time, lifted the tape from around the chip and it pulled the paint right out of the chip, primer included.

I must have have sanded the metal enough or let the primer dry for long enough. After I detail my car tomorrow I'm going to start over again on Sunday and this time let every coat of everything dry for at least 24 hours.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:04 AM
jeff91ta

Wow what a PITA!!!

I just scuffed the bottom of my front bumper this week and was looking to touch it up which I figure will be a real headache.

After using the Nissan OEM touch up paint and the paintscratch.com paint which do you prefer as far as color match go? Let me know how round 2 goes with getting the chip fixed.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:33 AM
jcleary47

The bumper is easy because it's plastic, and the paint sticks well to it.

I'm having a problem because my chip is on the fender, and it is right down to the metal.

I find that the OEM nissan paint goes on a little better. The paint match appears to be pretty equal, although I couldn't tell for sure because the paint kept lifting out of the chip. Arrrrg.

Part of me wants to just have a bodyshop do it to get it over with, but I know they'll probably want to charge me a couple hundred for it.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:59 AM
davidv

Funny that I see this post again now, as I just started repairing this paint chip this week. Well last weekend, but I had a bit of a problem.

I ordered some touch-up paint from paintscratch.com I think it was, and started using it, and then I lost the touch-up pen somehow, so I went to a nissan dealership and got their touch-up paint.

I don't know why, but the nissan touch-up paint lifted the paint that I ordered online, so I had to start over last night.

It's quite tedious and a real pain trying to get nice even coats. I'm going to have to be more paitent this time around because I believe I was a little too hasty when I tried to compound the basecoat to smooth it and I think that's what helped pull some of the paint back out of the chip. Arggg.
Chips are frustrating. I have found that less paint is better than more.