Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Staind rims with tire shine

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:38 PM
SnoXRacer183

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Staind rims with tire shine

So I put some Meguiars tire shine on my tires after washing it, wiped it down and the car sat for a few hours. Went on a couple hour cruise, parked it for the night. Got up to wash it the next day and my rims are stained black from tire shine/brake dust and I cant get it off!!!! Tried some powerful degreaser that normally cleans everything off my rims. Not this stuff though. Any suggestions?????
Old 06-03-2008, 03:18 PM
BlueBoxer

Are these stock wheels or aftermarket with a clearcoat? Try a 50/50 water and vinegar mix to see if you can chemially remove it, if not a clay bar will probably take it off if it is just physically sticking to the wheel.

I know I have posted it before, but only because I had a $600 Volk wheel ruined from stuff eating through the clearcoat, but please protect your wheels the same way you protect your paint. Get a quality sealant to protect it, make rinsing the grime off easier, and maintaining it's shine. Here are a couple good options, you only need to apply them every couple of months, so it lasts a while too.

Wheel Sealant

or

Wheel Wax

Reviews show most people like them about equally, but it seems as if Poorboys lasts a little longer inbetween applications. Another option would be the Jet Seal 109 that they have on sale today, it's usually almost twice as much and you can use it for its primary purpose as a paint sealant, but also as a wheel sealant.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:37 PM
SnoXRacer183

They are stock '08 Touring rims. I'll give the vinegar a go later tonight
Old 06-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Is this contamination on the surface or has the tire shine actually stained the wheel?

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-03-2008, 05:21 PM
SnoXRacer183

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Is this contamination on the surface or has the tire shine actually stained the wheel?

Greg @ Detailed Image
The tire shine has actually stained the wheel. I tried using the water/vinegar mix, Goo Gone Spray Gel, Turtle Wax Bug&Tar Remover, Wheel cleaner, and a polish. All of these have had ZERO effect on it

Pictures AFTER trying to clean them:

Name:  SANY0011Large.jpg
Views: 3065
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  SANY0014Large.jpg
Views: 2405
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  SANY0012Large.jpg
Views: 2503
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  SANY0016Large.jpg
Views: 2409
Size:  43.3 KB
Old 06-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Don @ Migliore
Vendor - Former Vendor

I would additionally try a clay bar if you have that available. A last resort would be to lightly wetsand with 3000 grit and polish it out.

Although, before going that route I would forward those pictures to Meguiars to see if there is something they can do to mitigate the situation.

To prevent further damage once you fix the situation I would suggest Migliore: Wheel Seal for your application. It will form a layer between the wheel and contaminants to protect your wheels. You'll find debris washes off with ease after the sealant.

http://www.migliorewax.com/miwhse.html

Last edited by Don @ Migliore; 06-03-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Kinraze

This is interesting. After reading this post, I walked into my garage and looked at some Black Magic tire wet. Not the same as the Meguiar tire shine, but there was a disclaimer on the bottle stating to wipe excessive run off, as it could stain some surfaces. I have used tire wet on my stock tires, as well as my recent tires with Volk wheels. So far I haven't had issues with staining on my wheels and both have been plenty wet. I only put the tire wet on when I know it will be dry for several days, as I wondered about that stuff damaging my wheels. I'm going to research more into this now.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Steve-O Z33

If all else fails, wetsand and buff.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:59 PM
zerafian

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I found a ton of stains on my 04' stock rims about 2 months ago. I picked up turtle wax polishing compound and it actually got all the stains out. Im not sure exactly whats in the compound that did it but it worked well for me.

stains included: brake dust, some yellow sh*t that looked like old egg yoke that had sat on the rims for over a year, and some tire shine liquid(armoral no foam spray).
Old 06-03-2008, 08:16 PM
SnoXRacer183

I talked with a customer service rep from Meguiar's on the phone tonight and he had me email him some pictures. He is going to show the manager tomorrow morning and see if they can come up with a solution for me.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:37 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBoxer
I know I have posted it before, but only because I had a $600 Volk wheel ruined from stuff eating through the clearcoat, but please protect your wheels the same way you protect your paint.
Could not have said it better: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

To remove those marks you'll probably need to use a good metal polish like the P21S Finish Restorer. Just apply a small drop to a soft cloth, preferably a soft microfiber towel (two sided microfiber polishing towel ideally) and buff it in. This should remove the marks no problem. Then I would protect the wheels with a quality sealant like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. The Wheel Sealant will help prevent this problem in the future.

In the future I would also recommend cleaning your tires before applying a dressing. Spray a light degreaser on them and scrub them with a soft brush. Then apply a dressing lightly that is more water based. I would recommend the Poorboy's World Bold n Bright if you want to try something new.

Let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-04-2008, 09:04 AM
07rdsterGT

I use tire gel with the proper applicator to prevent excessive application and "run-off". Good luck with you wheels man, I know I would be really bummed out.

Justin
Old 06-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Pun1sh3RZ

Try this:

-Take a micro-fiber cloth-get it wet and rub in a circular motion on the spokes very hard see if the spots come out

Edit: Had these spots all over the side of my old DD SUV and I did this method with much effort the spots came off.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:34 AM
SnoXRacer183

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
To remove those marks you'll probably need to use a good metal polish like the P21S Finish Restorer. Just apply a small drop to a soft cloth, preferably a soft microfiber towel (two sided microfiber polishing towel ideally) and buff it in. This should remove the marks no problem. Then I would protect the wheels with a quality sealant like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. The Wheel Sealant will help prevent this problem in the future.

In the future I would also recommend cleaning your tires before applying a dressing. Spray a light degreaser on them and scrub them with a soft brush. Then apply a dressing lightly that is more water based. I would recommend the Poorboy's World Bold n Bright if you want to try something new.

Let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Will a metal polish wreck the clear coat on the rims?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Generally speaking metal polishes are fine to use on clear coated wheels. The P21S Finish Restorer and other metal polishes on our site are safe to use on clear coated wheels.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-28-2016, 01:22 PM
RA SA

Boys, I have a solution!
I have been searching for an effective way to get tire shine off my rims and read every possible forum. Seams like half the people don't read the question- getting TIRE SHINE OFF THE RIMS not how to clean my tires with Dove soap.
Anyways, summing all the info that I gathered, I decided to try EASY-OFF oven cleaner spray (Fume Free), you don't want to smell that. And it works like magic! No need to scrub, comes off instantly! Just spray on a paper towel or a rag and wipe off effortlessly. It did wonders on my car, but spot test on your rims first, depending on what kind you have.
Again, this is my own experimentation, hopefully it won't hurt the rim coating.
Good luck!

Old 07-28-2016, 02:13 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Nice first post and nice finger nails.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:52 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Note the Rustang in the background.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:00 PM
travlee
Master