Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Not Satisfied with Zaino on SB. Comments inside.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 06:16 PM
chaknchngo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Satisfied with Zaino on SB. Comments inside.

Like everyone else in this forum I am looking for the "ultimate" wax. After I got my Super Black Z, I went on the search to find that wax. I read many reviews and comments about Zaino and dropped $120 on almost all of their products. I have 2 coats on my car.

The first one was put on about 2 weeks after I got my car. I printed out all the steps in the internet and read. Then, I read the instructions that came with the Zainos product and started my journey. Prepped it, Washed it and used the Z2. At first I wasn't too staisfied with the results, but I thought what the hell, maybe it'll get bettter when I put my second coat on.

So after about a month (today) I decided to put my 2nd coat on. Like many people in this forum, most of the time I'm up I'm working, therefore don't have too much time to spend doing useless things. And since I finally had the time and chance to do it I decide to go ahead with it. I washed the car, dried with the absorber, but unfortunatelly the sun beat me to the back left side part of the my car. Water spots all over that part. I proceed to wax my car with the Z2 thinking that the Z2 was going to remove all the waterspots. I mix the Z2 with the ZFX and put it all over my car. I wait 1.5 hrs and remove the wax. And you guessed it, waterspots still there. Ahhhh! I wanted to cry. So I thought maybe Z6 will help to get it out. Boy was I wrong, that thing leaves way too much streak on a black car.

I am not saying that Zainos sucks, in the contrary, it is pretty good, I jsut don't think it's the right thing for a black car. First of all it takes too long to go thru all the process. Which would of been fine if the water spots weren't left behind. Second the shine in my opinion would look better on light colored cars (ie silver). I gotta admit, it's like looking in a mirror.

So like I said before, Zaino is not for me and I'm not too satisfied with it on a black car. Too much time, and I don't have too much time to spare (spent 5 hours washing wax etc). So I am looking for a new wax....Blackfire seems to be one of the favourites other than Zaino. I am looking for anything that gives me the results with less time (no prepping blah blah) just wash and wax.

Looking for comments on Blackfire or Klasse. And please post the color of your car and wax used and your thoughts on those waxes.

Looking for comments on Blackfire or Klasse. And please post the color of your car and wax used and your thoughts on those waxes.

thnx dan.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:16 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

First off.. if you are in direct sun, try to wait if you can until you will not be. Direct sun and temperature on the car does two things.. One it softens up the clearcoat making it easier to scratch and two, it pre-maturely dries your product or water on the car.

Now, how to prevent what happened to you? Water spots are all about proper drying technique. First thing, get excess water OFF the car.. use your hose without the nozzle and 'push' the water off the car and let the beeding of the wax on the car remove most of the water off the car.

I use big blue, and as long as you remove excess water first, drying the car is a breeze, and its perfectly dry when done.

If the car is in the sun, or dried before I got to it.. I simply wet it again!

Afterwards, if you still have spots, thats when you should use your Quick Detail Spray (or Z6 for zaino folks) and wipe the car down.. its very quick, and will clean up any muck on the surface.

Any product you use.. ANY of them.. except super cheap 'cleaner waxes' you want to have the surface perfect before you apply your wax or protectant. This is not unique to any product.. they simply are not made to clean.. and actually strive to the opposite end of that and want NO cleaners in the product.

I have a Super Black, and originally used Blitz Wax on it and 3M Polish. The results are excellent. I just switched to Blackfire about a month ago. The Blackfire is definatly easier to apply in that it doesn't leave any mess behind, especially at the polish step (which doesn't need to be done each time).

Blackfire has an initial polish step, and then a 'protectant' which you apply each time.. similar to Z2. So upkeep with Blackfire is simply wash, and apply 'protectant' when you want to add another layer.

Any other product you use, will still be a two step process for the best results.. even traditional waxes you want to polish first, which you must clean up after, before waxing.

Example.. with Blitz my process was.. wash.. 3M polish with my orbital.. go back around car 1-2 times making sure NO reside or polish dust is left.. then wax with foam pad.. let haze.. then remove with MF towels.. then go around car 1-2 times removing any extra reside.. and still finding some time to time for days later.

I think the results are about the same between the two on my car... pictures aren't the best judge.. but you can compare at http://www.angelfire.com/dc2/flynnibus I have series from both Blackfire and Blitz Wax there.

What is going to keep me with Blackfire for the near term is easy in applying. After washing, I put the protectant on, wait, then remove. No polishing each time, no paranoid wiping after polish.. and no reside left behind for days after removing the wax.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:51 PM
SupraLB

Default Re: Not Satisfied with Zaino on SB. Comments inside.

Originally posted by chaknchngo

thnx dan. [/B]
Go here for a great comparison test of all products. I am switching from Zaino as well - because it just takes WAY too long to apply and it attracts dust like a magnet. Any product that takes 5-7 applications to reach a great shine isn't for me. I am trying Klasse this week after reading this test.

THE GREAT WAX OFF
Old 08-02-2003, 08:42 PM
bhobson333

Default Re: Not Satisfied with Zaino on SB. Comments inside.

Originally posted by chaknchngo
So after about a month (today) I decided to put my 2nd coat on. Like many people in this forum, most of the time I'm up I'm working, therefore don't have too much time to spend doing useless things. And since I finally had the time and chance to do it I decide to go ahead with it. I washed the car, dried with the absorber, but unfortunatelly the sun beat me to the back left side part of the my car. Water spots all over that part. I proceed to wax my car with the Z2 thinking that the Z2 was going to remove all the waterspots.
I suggest that you engage the services of a prefessional detailer. He'll take care of the "useless things" for you while you're working. No matter what product he uses, you'll probably be happier with the results.
Old 08-02-2003, 09:09 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

1) I've used Zaino on a black car for two years, and have always been happy with it. Z5 is a key, though, to hide spots, imperfections, and swirls that were on the car well before I switched to Zaino. I've never understood people saying Zaino didn't look good on black, because it can look pretty good. Not saying there can't be something better, but I'm happy.

2) Once you get the initial prep work done the first time, laying on a coat of Zaino is very quick, especially on a car like the Z. Putting a coat on after a wash takes me less than 20 minutes, and wiping it off probably takes 10 minutes. Zaino is about the easiest off "wax" I've ever used. Yes, you have to let it cure in between, but I can find stuff to do in the meantime

Also love it for its durability. I haven't put a coat on since early April, and the water is still beading great on my car.

It might not be for everybody, but I think there are some myths going around that just aren't true.
Old 08-02-2003, 09:53 PM
Silver Bullit II

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gheumann/zaino_test/
Old 08-02-2003, 11:01 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same as mannish, application takes me 20minutes at most, and less to remove. its as easy or easier than a caranuba wax, and I use the old formula.

I dont bother with Z6, dont care, I wax for the protection, the shine is definitly a bonus. but if Im goin to a show or race, Ill bother with it, for daily driving, screw it.

Z6 need be applied VERY thin, sounds like you had it wrong if it left streaks.

and you should never wax a dirty car, even water spots, thats just metal bits that are in hard water drying on the car. then getting coated over so theyll be a pain to remove.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:07 AM
MSOsr

BONZ!!! AN INFIDEL!!! CONVERT HIM NOW!!!!!
Old 08-03-2003, 03:54 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by Silver Bullit II
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gheumann/zaino_test/
And I give you http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html

Personal tests can show all different opinions.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:24 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, the Black Porche guy didn't use the Zaino correctly. He took it all off in a matter of hours. He did three layers in less than 24 hours. The Zaino could not cure onto the paint correctly. If he would have used Zaino with ZFX (probably not available at the time since this is an old test) he could have done what he did but not without it. Not to mention that the new Zaino formula is even better at filling in swirls.

He only tested for immediate looks. If he were to test the durability of the two products, he would have reported that the Meguiar's was all gone at about 4-5 weeks and the Zaino would still be doing it's job at 8 plus weeks.

Also, you should NEVER try to "wax over" water spots! You need to get rid of EVERYTHING before applying ANY polish or wax. This is not exclusive to Zaino but for ANY product. He may want to invest in a water blade. I use it when the sun is beating down and I want to get the water off fast before the sun creates spots.

As for the streaks with Z-6, he probably put too much on. You only mist a VERY small amount onto the car (or onto the MF towel) and buff it in.

As for the Zaino being better on light cars, I feel the exact OPPOSITE! Zaino looks MUCH better on dark colored cars IMO.

Someone mentioned wanting a product that looks good in one application and doesn't need to be applied over and over. Zaino is EXACTLY THAT! You don't need to be a fanatic like me. Just put on one or two layers and you will see an incredible difference!

Finally, I am getting tired of people thinking that Zaino is more "work" than the others. You have to do the prep steps with ANY product or you won't get the best results! You have to strip off all the old stuff (Dawn, claybar etc) no matter WHAT product you use. It only appears to be extra with Zaino because me and others have posted all the steps needed in reference to what WE did with Zaino. If the Blackfire guys, or Meguiar guys are telling you that you don't need to do these steps with their product, they are giving you false information.

Look, I don't mean to try an "convert" anybody. All I try to do is give you the correct advice and my opinion. You gotta use what you feel works best for you. But if your going to compare, you have to do it correctly so you get accurate results.
Attached Thumbnails Not Satisfied with Zaino on SB.  Comments inside.-nismo-kit-side.jpg  
Old 08-03-2003, 09:29 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Originally posted by Dr Bonz

Finally, I am getting tired of people thinking that Zaino is more "work" than the others. You have to do the prep steps with ANY product or you won't get the best results! You have to strip off all the old stuff (Dawn, claybar etc) no matter WHAT product you use. It only appears to be extra with Zaino because me and others have posted all the steps needed in reference to what WE did with Zaino. If the Blackfire guys, or Meguiar guys are telling you that you don't need to do these steps with their product, they are giving you false information
Thats what I was saying.. the polymers are actually EASIER and cleaner to apply then traditional waxes and polishes.

Past initial application, Zaino is a wash and apply product (if you choose to skip Z6.. which is optional)... blackfire is the same way... traditional waxes are NOT.. because you want to polish with each application.. unless you were layering immediatly.. but I don't see that happening with carb. waxes.

The only stuff that is going to be easier.. are the cheap liquid waxes with cleaners in them.. and you get what you ask for... they will not last, and don't give nearly the results.

The ease of application is actually WHY I'm sticking with a polymer right now over my traditional wax and polish. I think the level of detail we describe the processes scares some people from their 'standard' liquid wax application.

Last edited by flynnibus; 08-03-2003 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:58 AM
BillR

My buddy has a black BMW M3, and he has 3 layers of Zaino. It looks stunning!! The paint looks a mile deep and very wet looking.

Z6 streaking? Too much and you let it dry.

IF you want results from ANY product, you need to prep your surface. From the tone of your post, you "sound" like you are not that "IN" to detailing your car. That being said, you might try Klasse All in One. You will likely get what you want. A nice shine, in one application. It will not look like Zaino, but it will be quick.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:56 PM
Taya

Default water spots with Zaino

Dan - I have the same problem, yesterday I sprayed my car with water and left it, that was big mistake... I got water spots all over the car and was unable to remove them till now... still don't know what to do... Tried the Z6 but does nothing... While I reward Zaino for the shine results, I can clearly say this product is very poor when considering it for water spots and probably other type of spots... These things for some reason go into the Zaino film and stay there... I had the Touch of Class made by Nissan on my car... some on this forum call it sham and crap but guys all I can tell you, my car never had any issue with water spots nor dust... I do not know what this TOC product but I guess I need to go back to my dealer to re-apply that material... I do not know else what to do... is there any other product out there that is more resistant to hard water spots...? How can I get them removed now? I have a few coats of Z5 and more of Z2 and hope I do not need to remove them all!
Thanks.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:08 PM
AREITU

Try going onto autopia.org for some advice. They're hardcore detailers over thre.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:46 PM
bhobson333

Default Re: water spots with Zaino

Originally posted by Taya
I have the same problem, yesterday I sprayed my car with water and left it, that was big mistake... I got water spots all over the car and was unable to remove them till now
I know nothing about TOC but I have had the same problem with cars before. Hard water spots are tough to remove. I can't say whether a Zaino'ed car is better or worse for this, since I have never failed to dry my car since I've been using Zaino!

One thing you can try - it sounds odd but it's basic chemistry: try a mild vinegar/water solution. Vinegar dissolves lime. I'd suggest that you try it on one or two spots at first, then follow up with a good wash (and dry! ) and a coat of Zaino.