Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clear Bra for super Black Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 06:53 PM
Max2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra for super Black Z

Just received delivery of new Z and need information about pros and cons of clear bra. I heard that the paint on the Z was easy to chip.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:34 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

I love mine.

Pros: protection, yes it works very well

cons: expensive

most important....needs to be installed by someone who knows what the hell they're doing. If not done right it can look bad. Make sure they guarantee that it will be installed right and be "invisible" (no major creases or bubbles)
Old 08-09-2003, 02:34 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

I second that, my whole front end had to be repainted because the IDIOT razor bladed my entire front end, mirrors and headlights. Cost the dealer over $2K.

Do your homework and check out the person first, how long they have been doing it, pics, ect.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:47 AM
NismoZ03

for those with black, how "invisible/visible" are the clear bras when installed properly, im thinking about getting one but haven't seen it ever done in person.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:22 AM
mdelia

Typically they say a good install is a "5 foot" install.. i.e. if you didn't know it was there, you'd have a hard time seeing it from 5 feet away.

I got my ClearBra installed by a local ClearBra vendor who did a good job. I had some issues with small edges not maintaing contact around the mirrors and they re-did those areas about a week later.

One thing to remember is that the install is going to look kinda nasty the first few weeks while it cures and the moisture under the bra evaporates. Mine was done about 3-4 weeks ago and I still have some spots, but again they are really hard to see from 5 feet away.

If you are planning on doing it, I'd put a coat of Zaino (or whatever other product you plan on using) on the car before you bring it in to get the bra put on it. The bra will keep the car clean (and its easy to get bug guts off as well) but its nice to have that layer of protection down as well.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:00 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

You're not supposed to put any protectant on before the clear bra otherwise it won't stick. If they are a good installer they will automatically strip and clay bar the areas to be covered. Mine did.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:25 AM
Car Crafters

I am an owner of a new Infiniti G35 Coupe, and am very aware of the problems we all face on a daily basis avoiding stone chips destroying the beautiful front of our cars.

My Company, Car Crafters is a Distributor, and Installer for a product that will totally eliminate the possibility of getting chips, and scratches all over your New Z.

The product is called Invinca-Shield which is manufactured by 3M.
http://www.invinca-shield.com/index.htm

I can't say enough about this Product, it's totally transparent, and you car will look like brand new for many years to come. You just spent alot of money on your Z, now protect it properly.

As others have mentioned the most important part of using any type of clear bra is the installation. I have been doing this for 4 years now, and I can't tell you how many people bring their cars to me to fix poor installations done by other unskilled poorly trained installers. I guarantee my installations 100%. To date I have done 46 350Z's and 53 G35 Coupes.

There are several kits with various options that can be done on a 350Z. The most Basic is the "Standard Kit" for $171.00. The second is the "Deluxe kit" for $408.00. Then there are assorted "Optional Pieces that can be installed. The Full "Optional Pieces Kit" is $142.00. Please see the 2 links below.

http://www.invinca-shield.com/asp/genkit.asp?kit=3244

Basically what you are looking to do is cover areas that would be most susceptible to stones, bugs, salt, and sand. Obviously it is in my best interest if you buy every option, but I honestly wouldn't recommend it. It's really total overkill. If you were to have the entire optional pieces kit installed it would cost $142.00.

The only other options that allot of people order is #8 Cab Top for $42.00 which protects the front portion of the roof, #10 Upper Mirror for $10.00, and #11 Lower Mirror for $11.00. If you click on the link below, you will see a diagram with all the prices for everything on your car.

http://www.invinca-shield.com/asp/genkit.asp?kit=3244-1

Just to let you know about how I do business. First, and foremost I am an automotive enthusiast, so I am probably one of the pickiest people you will ever meet. I do every car with the same precision that I would do my own vehicle. It is in my own best interest to do an exceptional job for you. I get the majority of my business from referrals from happy customers, in addition if I do not do a perfect job the first time, I will only have to come back to do it all over again.

We have mobile units in the NY, NJ, Conn areas, as well as the entire state of Florida. Feel free to e-mail or phone me at the number and e-mail address below for a free quote, and happy motoring.

Frank O'Grady
Phone: 732-778-2895
carcrafters@comcast.net
Old 08-14-2003, 03:09 PM
jabroney12

That sounds like a great product but do you know if the standard front bumper kit would fit on a nismo kit, I would assume so just that the lower lip would be left off woudl there be a obvious lining on the botttom since it dosent stretch that far?
Old 08-14-2003, 04:03 PM
Zaksmaster

I live in South Florida and had a great job done by Supershield in Boca. The only comment I have is that the seam across the hood is more noticable on darker colored cars. It is very acceptable and you just have to decide whether you want protection or a seamless hood. I'm glad I got protection since I do a lot of freeway driving.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:32 PM
Car Crafters

I can do any hood completely so there is no seam whatsoever, and the entire hood is then protected. If any one is interested please shout back to me!
Old 08-14-2003, 09:21 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive seen them on new Zs and old S2ks.

on new Zs they were almost invisible, the seam on the hood was my biggest problem. if I did it Id skip the hood unless it was the entire hood, seams on the edges of panels arent noticable, big seam halfway up the hood is.

problem is on the S2k it was 2 or 3 years old, this was the 3m distributer for georgia. met him at the tint shop. his car looked like hell. no doubt if he pulled the bra off his paint would be perfect, but I liken that to couch covers. stain a top layer instead of the actual fabric. sounds good, but not when it cost as much for the cover as it does to repaint the car...

just be aware that tho your car wont take damage, the bra will, or atleast it did on this guys car.

Ill take my car in to have the bumper repainted in 2 years, should cost less than those that have to have their bras redone.(hmmm did that sound wrong?:P)
Old 08-15-2003, 12:18 PM
webrits

I can't say enough about this Product, it's totally transparent
That's not strictly true. It is NOT "totally transparent". It's a great product but it is Translucent.
If you're thinking it will be invisible (except for the edges) you may be a little dissapointed. The surface of the film does have a different look then the original paint. Maybe if you get the whole hood covered it would be less noticeable.
Don't get me wrong, I have it installed on my SB Z and love it. I can see it, but I would rather have that instead of getting the bumper and hood repainted and having non-factory paint on half of the car.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:27 PM
webrits

I can't say enough about this Product, it's totally transparent
That's not strictly true. It is NOT "totally transparent". It's a great product but it is Translucent.
If you're thinking it will be invisible (except for the edges) you may be a little dissapointed. The surface of the film does have a different look then the original paint. Maybe if you get the whole hood covered it would be less noticeable.
Don't get me wrong, I have it installed on my SB Z and love it. I can see it, but I would rather have that instead of getting the bumper and hood repainted and having non-factory paint on half of the car.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:37 AM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by NismoZ03
for those with black, how "invisible/visible" are the clear bras when installed properly, im thinking about getting one but haven't seen it ever done in person.
Just like everything else with black cars, paint protection film is going to be a bit more visually obtrusive, but then again so will chips and scratches. Also, there are a few companies now manufacturing urethane paint protection film, but 3M Scotchcal is the best choice on straight black since its the most optically clear. If anyone has any other question about paint protection film feel free to drop us a line!
Invisaguard@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-19-2003, 12:28 PM
jhchan

Question

I'm new to the clearbra stuff and am getting ready to find an installer for my incoming 2004. For you guys that installed it does your kit wrap around the edges or does it stop a little short of the edges of the hood or other parts? Which is normal for these installs? Any sample pics? Thanks!
Old 08-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Max2

Does anybody know of a reliable installer of the clear bra in the state of Connecticut (greater Hartford area)? Did they work on your car? Are you satisfied with the work they have done?
Old 09-02-2003, 05:39 AM
Shortbus

Default 3M clear bra installed

I got my 3M clear bra kit installed through the dealer (hence warrantied for life by them), and I can say I am very pleased with it. It's not totally invisible (on KH3 black), but it beats baked bugs/rock chips. I've had it for a month now and can't say it's really noticeable... As for it coming up halfway through the hood, I agree it probably should have covered the entire thing instead...
It is a bit expensive, but imo it's a good invcestment in protecting your front end from minor dings etc....

Christian -

EDIT:
I'll take some pics of mine soon and post em....
Old 06-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Paul_BB_Guy

For those of you in Canada, I'm about to get an install done by www.nochip.ca
I met the guy today and he seemed really good. The install pictures on the website look good too!
Old 06-22-2004, 10:45 PM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$1499? whoa thats alot of money!
Old 05-14-2006, 12:59 PM
03silverstone

Anyone able to provide pics of an install on a black z? i just got my magnetic black and am debating on getting this done and have yet to see pics of a black car with one.

Thanks!