Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Why do people brag about how many coats of wax they have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 10:09 AM
300ZX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do people brag about how many coats of wax they have?

I've never come accross this before on the other boards I read and post on, and im curious as to why I see it everywhere here; in both signatures and posts. Someone want to enlighten me?
Old 09-01-2003, 10:20 AM
Conceyted

Beats me...
Old 09-01-2003, 10:21 AM
noel48

I've wondered the same thing.It appears coats upon coats don't protect any more than a couple.Plus,I'm too busy driving
Old 09-01-2003, 10:32 AM
ZpikeZ

I don't know either. From what I learned, a car will always look better one nice, thin layer of wax, rather than multiple/thicker layers. A thicker layer of wax will "dull" the color of the paint ... it definitely won't be as shiny. Maybe waxing all the time makes guys feel better about themselves like they are achieving something with their efforts, i don't know??
Old 09-01-2003, 10:36 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Young Grasshoppaz, you must speak with Master Bonz he will teach you in the ways of ZAINO!! Now, go forth and wax!
Old 09-01-2003, 10:47 AM
djkern
Banned

blah blah blah....wax wax wax....i have one coat of CG on my car and it's been there for months....i'm sure it's as shiney as anyone with 40 layers of zaino (and they spent weekend after weekend doing their car...i spent 45 minutes total! haha).
Old 09-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Conceyted

does cg fill small scratches and make them appear gone?
Old 09-01-2003, 11:27 AM
djkern
Banned

from what i can see, it does....but i received my PhD in waxing like donz has. haha. cg does what i need it to do.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:53 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Originally posted by ZpikeZ
I don't know either. From what I learned, a car will always look better one nice, thin layer of wax, rather than multiple/thicker layers. A thicker layer of wax will "dull" the color of the paint ...
Thats the advantage of Zaino and other more 'opitically pure' waxes.. this does not apply. More layers actually more protection and more luster.

What you said applies to carbuna waxes, but not to polymers.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:26 PM
SHAQMAGIC

The reason everyone talks about how many coats of wax they have is three fold.

1)Dr. Bonz is charter member and posts on this forum alot, he is a self-descibed fanatic about his car and waxing, and he loves the product so much, that he has to comment on anyone else's technique or product turning the thread into a Zaino vs. the world thread. (However he has done this much less lately.) In Bonz's defense he uses the waxing process as a time to get away, sought of like a therapy, as he deals with a lot of difficult stuff in his profession.

2)The mods seem in god-like awe of Dr. Bonz and they are right behind him in everything he says and does.

3)Z owners seem to love their cars more than any other car owners in the world (I'm included) and they are in search of the ultimate product and many believe Zaino is it. Many believe Crsytal Guard is it or Meguiars but the uses who believe Zaino is it have faster internet connections.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:44 PM
jackwhale

lol

great summary, and why I like my350z.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:52 PM
ZpikeZ

Originally posted by flynnibus
Thats the advantage of Zaino and other more 'opitically pure' waxes.. this does not apply. More layers actually more protection and more luster.

What you said applies to carbuna waxes, but not to polymers.
Zaino is not 100% optically perfect, it is 99.9%. So if you put on 10 layers of Zaino, your finish will be 99% optically pure ... 20 layers, 98%, and so on and so on ... the more layers you put on, the more dull it will look. 1 or 2 is enough, 30 or 40 is oBzEZZiVE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't make me call the O.C.D. Doctor in here!!!
Old 09-01-2003, 02:18 PM
nosuchsol

Originally posted by SHAQMAGIC
3)Z owners seem to love their cars more than any other car owners in the world
"seem" is the key word. There are car fanatics for every type of car(yes, even the pinto) so there's nothing different except the type of car owned.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:35 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ZpikeZ
Zaino is not 100% optically perfect, it is 99.9%. So if you put on 10 layers of Zaino, your finish will be 99% optically pure ... 20 layers, 98%, and so on and so on ... the more layers you put on, the more dull it will look. 1 or 2 is enough, 30 or 40 is oBzEZZiVE!!!!!!!!!!
Blasphemy!

Ban this heretic!

Old 09-01-2003, 04:39 PM
bhobson333

Cool see the light

I think I can shed some light here.

ZpikeZ's statement about wax is pretty much correct, especially when you're dealing with typical "cleaner wax" that strips off previous coats (and dirt) as it is applied. Multiple coats are not beneficial.

This statement:
Zaino is not 100% optically perfect, it is 99.9%. So if you put on 10 layers of Zaino, your finish will be 99% optically pure ... the more layers you put on, the more dull it will look.
while it may seem logical, it is not correct, and this is why people brag about how many coats of Zaino they have. (Notice that people mostly only brag about multiple coats of Zaino, rarely Blackfire, only occasionally CG.)

People who add multiple layers of Zaino quickly realize that each additional layer looks noticably better. This is not a fluke, this is not people fooling themselves, it has been experienced over and over by many people. I have taken a new logo pic with each layer, changing my logo every time. I could post them all, in sequence. Each coat looks noticably shinier, more reflective. Dr. Bonz's car, with around 50 coats now, looks absolutely liquid.

Last edited by bhobson333; 09-01-2003 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:50 PM
Conceyted

here is a good question. Could you wash, claybar, zaino, wash, then CG your car? OR would that make no sense to do? I for one am looking for something that is quick, but at the same time I don't mind using zaino once a month. So, could I zaino once a month and use CG after every other wash?

PS: bhobson333, why do you use 5w30 instead of 10w30? is that what the car recommends or did you do that for colder climates up north?
Old 09-01-2003, 05:00 PM
djkern
Banned

bonz's car looks great....in my opinion my looks just as awesome with one coat of CG. i was going to put on another coat this past weekend...but, i washed it with water...dried it off...and it looks spectacular!
Old 09-01-2003, 05:42 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

OOOOOOOO K. Where do I start.

First of all:

blah blah blah....wax wax wax....i have one coat of CG on my car and it's been there for months....i'm sure it's as shiney as anyone with 40 layers of zaino
No way. Not a chance.

A thicker layer of wax will "dull" the color of the paint ... it definitely won't be as shiny. Maybe waxing all the time makes guys feel better about themselves like they are achieving something with their efforts, i don't know??
Key word here....WAX. Zaino is NOT wax. It is a polymer sealant and layering it has HUGE advantages. It is shiner than any wax ever will be. Also, layering it has protective advantages as well. It protects against acid rain (wax doesn't) and just about any other chemical. It has a UV protectant (wax doesn't) which is another advantage. As stated by someone else, it is optically pure. It is like applying a piece of crystal clear plate glass on your car. It protects but still lets the color and character of the paint show through.

does cg fill small scratches and make them appear gone?
No it doesn't. At least not nearly as well as Zaino does. CG also doesn't last anywhere near as long as Zaino.

and he loves the product so much, that he has to comment on anyone else's technique or product turning the thread into a Zaino vs. the world thread.
That really isn't a fair or accurate statement. I rarely comment on this kind of thing unless someone either mentions my name or asks for my opinion. Sure, when someone criticizes me in this manner however, I usually speak up.

The mods seem in god-like awe of Dr. Bonz and they are right behind him in everything he says and does.
No one is in God-like awe of anything I do. I tend to do most of the things that others with this car also do (car care, detailing, mods, maintanence etc). It just so happens that in addition to doing these things, I have tried to document what I do with pictures, videos, and write ups. I am just trying to contribute to the Z community. Although, with comments like this, it makes you wonder if it is worth it. I think the comments from others are just their way of saying thanks for contributing.

cg does what i need it to do.
This statement says it all. If you are happy with what you do GREAT. If you have one layer of ANYTHING on your car, and are happy with it, FINE. BUT, don't rip on me or others for posting our results with Zaino.

Read the Guru Reports. Not only has it been extensively studied and proven to shine better, but it OUTLASTS and OUTPROTECTS the others hands down.

I agree pics don't do complete justice but just look at cars like McDuck's et al. Zaino cars simply look FANTASTIC.
Attached Thumbnails Why do people brag about how many coats of wax they have?-350z-in-the-park-1.jpg  
Old 09-01-2003, 06:12 PM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
OOOOOOOO K. Where do I start.

First of all:

No way. Not a chance.

Key word here....WAX. Zaino is NOT wax. It is a polymer sealant and layering it has HUGE advantages. It is shiner than any wax ever will be. Also, layering it has protective advantages as well. It protects against acid rain (wax doesn't) and just about any other chemical. It has a UV protectant (wax doesn't) which is another advantage. As stated by someone else, it is optically pure. It is like applying a piece of crystal clear plate glass on your car. It protects but still lets the color and character of the paint show through.

No it doesn't. At least not nearly as well as Zaino does. CG also doesn't last anywhere near as long as Zaino.

That really isn't a fair or accurate statement. I rarely comment on this kind of thing unless someone either mentions my name or asks for my opinion. Sure, when someone criticizes me in this manner however, I usually speak up.

No one is in God-like awe of anything I do. I tend to do most of the things that others with this car also do (car care, detailing, mods, maintanence etc). It just so happens that in addition to doing these things, I have tried to document what I do with pictures, videos, and write ups. I am just trying to contribute to the Z community. Although, with comments like this, it makes you wonder if it is worth it. I think the comments from others are just their way of saying thanks for contributing.

This statement says it all. If you are happy with what you do GREAT. If you have one layer of ANYTHING on your car, and are happy with it, FINE. BUT, don't rip on me or others for posting our results with Zaino.

Read the Guru Reports. Not only has it been extensively studied and proven to shine better, but it OUTLASTS and OUTPROTECTS the others hands down.

I agree pics don't do complete justice but just look at cars like McDuck's et al. Zaino cars simply look FANTASTIC.
believe what you want. i'll believe what i want. my car looks just as good as your car...and i have one layer of CG on it. you have 40 layers of zaino....all in all....you spent more money and time on your car....and they both look good. but, no one can argue with you cause you are always right about things. believe what you want though....

Quick Reply: Why do people brag about how many coats of wax they have?