Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Zaino for starters?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 10:15 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Zaino for starters?

Can someone suggest what Zaino product to get for a first timer?
Chrome Silver Z, and I've read a few, but can never make up my mind as to what to get.

Since I have a light colored car, do I need Z5 and Z2?? Also is the Z6 like regular detail spray. Trying to get only the basic, and not hardcore enough to pop over 50 bux on polish.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:56 PM
Scafremon

(typing fast before someone with more Zaino experience beats me to it)

As my initial purchase, I bought:

(1) ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive $19.95
(1) Z-2™ Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes $12.95
(1) Z-7™ Show Car Wash $7.95
(2) Z-6™ Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray $19.90
Subtotal: $60.75
Shipping: Flat rate: $7.95
Sales Tax: $0.00
TOTAL: $68.70

I have a Silverstone, and didn't get Z5 because I have no swirls to try and hide. I have a couple small scratches on hood and roof from pebbles, but I can live with them for now.

The Z6 seems like regular detail spray, except it isn't oily. I wouldn't skip getting the Z6. The Z7 wash seems like any wash, but it is inexpesive, and since you only use a few capfuls, it will last awhile.

The ZFX you really need, to cure the Z2 (which you also need)quickly. At $19.95 you get this little bitty vial of ZFX that is half full. You only use 4 drops of it for each layer of Z2, and I'm guessing the vile will last me maybe 12 layers.

I'd suggest getting the shopping list above, maybe not (2) bottles of Z6 to save $10. I received my order in about 3 business days, so you really don't need to stock up onyour first purchase.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:43 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

You will need some......DAMN YOU SCAFREMON!!!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 07:17 AM
Scafremon

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
You will need some......DAMN YOU SCAFREMON!!!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 06:31 PM
bhobson333

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Zaino for starters?

Originally posted by alphared
Can someone suggest what Zaino product to get for a first timer?
Minimum purchase, buy ZFX & Z5. I gave my neighbor that same advice when he bought his RX-8 and he is very pleased with the results.

.......I'm trying real hard here to not tell you in excruciating detail why you really should also get claybar and Z2 and Z7 and Z6. As a matter of fact the starter kit - NO! pant, pant, pant... I keep telling myself that if you really want to know a quick search will tell you everything you need to know.....

Aaaarrggg!!!!!!

(True Confessions of a Zaino Addict)

Last edited by bhobson333; 09-02-2003 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:53 PM
alphared

cool. but whos right?

Scafremon suggested Z2 not Z5 (I have Chrome Silver, and thought the same)

and

bhobson333 suggested Z5.

Is the Z5 just swirl remover? If it is I think I can skip it cause I do a pretty decent job washing and drying so no swirls.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:56 PM
SungNamZ

Look at getting the "Kit". You will want Clay, Z5, Z2, Z6, Z7 and ZFX. While the of ZFX vile looks small, you use very little. Four (4) drops per ounce. I am still on my first vile and have applied Z5 (5 coats) and Z2 (12 coats). The bottles for mixing are two ounce bottles. If you apply the way Zaino (Sal) recommends, one ounce (half a mixing bottle) should do 3 "Z's". I have gotten two application from one ounce.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:33 AM
bhobson333

Is the Z5 just swirl remover?
Z5 and Z2 are both "polish", not to imply that they are abrasive, but that they are the polymer sealant that provides the protection and the shine. Either can be used without the other with good results.

Z5 is recommended if you have any swirls, since Z5 fills and hides swirls better than Z2. Z5 is widely accepted as desirable to be used as the first coat or two. Even if you can't see them, there are probably microscratches in your clearcoat. This is why I recommend Z5 to people who just want to get their feet wet with the minimal investment. If you're not really shooting for the best you would probably be happy using nothing but Z5.

Although it doesn't cover swirls as good as Z5, Z2 can give better "pop" to the shine. I recommend Z2 on top of Z5 if you're looking for the best. The reality (this is from Sal) is that different people and different color cars get the best results with different combinations of Z2 & Z5.

For example, when the new formulas came out Sal sent me an early sample of both Z2 & Z5. I was going to a show/meet the next day so I wanted the best shine; Sal asked me what color car I had, & when I told him (Silverstone) he recommended that I try the new Z5 instead of the new Z2 for maximum shine. I was skeptical so I did half the car with Z2 & half the car with Z5. When I asked people the next day which was shiniest (blind test), everyone said the Z5 side! (Ask mcduck) This is also why I recommended Z5 to you.

FWIW

Last edited by bhobson333; 09-03-2003 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:21 PM
Scafremon

Originally posted by Ron Keller
While the of ZFX vile looks small, you use very little. Four (4) drops per ounce. I have gotten two application from one ounce.
So I am guessing that for one layer, I can use .5 oz Z2, and use just 2 drops of ZFX. I know that math works, but just wasn't sure if the ratio is relative in smaller quantities.

I've been using 1 oz, and have maybe a third left over that is being wasted. I want to start mixing a smaller qty.

Question regarding applicators:

So far I have been using the free aplicator I got with the Zaino. Works ok I guess. I use half of one side for a layer, so I am going to get 4 layers out of it, and then need something else. What do you all use?

Also, how often do you moisten the applicator when applying a layer. Since we use so little of the solution, it seems like we are dragging a very dry cloth over our car. So I mist it with some Z6 a few times, but would still like a much wetter applicator.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:13 PM
SungNamZ

Sounds like you are getting the hang of it. It gets easier with each application.

I am now up to 13 coats of Z2 and 5 coats of Z5. I do moisten with Z6, but only initially. I usually fill a vile 1/3 full and add 3 drops of ZFX.

Sal says you can wash and dry the applicators. I have done it, but do notice some swirls. While Sal does not like microfiber, I have some micofiber towels that have been washed, followed by a 2nd rinse more times than I care to count. I use those for application. I do however, use 100% cotton Fieldcrest towel for removal of Z5, Z2 and application/drying of Z6.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:22 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

I usually just wet the applicator with some water and it is enough to last the entire application. I tried the Z-6 on the applicator trick for the first time this past weekend. It went on easy enough but for some reason it seemed like I had a much tougher time buffing out the polish lines after it dried. The only thing I can think is that I either didn't let it dry quite enough (no ZFX with this layer and I left it in the garage overnight approx. 9 hours and it was raining outside all night) OR the Z-6 is the culprit. I have never had this problem with taking Zaino off until I tried the Z-6 on the applicator trick.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:39 PM
bhobson333

I have always used the Zaino applicator, moistened once at the start with water. I've never tried the Z6 on the applicator. I did try a neat trick last time I put on a coat & it worked really well: Z6 each body panel (wipe on, buff off) just before you apply the polish. It really did seem to make the polish go on easier & thinner. I recommend it!

Last edited by bhobson333; 09-03-2003 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:09 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Oh, I ALWAYS do that. It was just the Z-6 on the applicator for the Z-2 that was new to me.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:26 AM
SungNamZ

Have noticed there are times when you do not mix ZFX in with Z5 or Z2. Is there a reason? I have used the Z6 on the applicator without problems, but have not tried the water, must try. What type applicators are you using? Zaino applicators once washed, rinsed and dried tend to leave swirl marks if used. I have been using microfiber towels, dampened with Z6. Zaino applicator w/water, no swirls?
Old 09-04-2003, 05:52 PM
SungNamZ

Doc Bonz,

I might have answered at least one of my question! ZFX tends to be an "activator/drying agent"! Depending on temp. and humidity, dries almost as fast as one can put it on the vehicle. So, tried Z2 tonight with "No" ZFX. Also used a damp microfiber towl (washed many times). Almost like "spit shining" shoes. Vile 1/3 full of Z2. Went on easier and faster. No trouble going back and applying to a spot I might have missed. Seemed to go further. We will see after drying and using Z6!
Old 09-05-2003, 01:51 AM
alphared

still have to ponder if i should get the Z5 or Z2. Since its hard to get that 'wet' look on silver (cs) which one would give it a more mirror finish? With the ZFX, wouldn't less be better? seems to me it works like the starter for resin where the more you add the faster it hardens.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:22 AM
SungNamZ

Get both! While the "swirl / scratch" marks are harder to see on the silver, they are there. You might only use the Z5 2-3 times and then it is Z2 only unless you desire to go back now and then and apply another coat of Z5. When using the ZFX I always went with 4 drops per ounce. But, last night it was "no" ZFX, with 1/3 vile of Z2 and a damp cloth. The temp in NM was about 85 with very low humidity, so removed it after 2 hours drying. Then finished with Z6. Looks GREAT with Z5 (6) and Z2 (14)!
Old 09-05-2003, 12:01 PM
Scafremon

With the ZFX, wouldn't less be better?
Yes, depending on how much time you want to have between application layers. Like Ron's post above, his Z2 was ready to dry in 2 hours or so at the stated temp and humidity without using ZFX.

Zaino states 4-5 drops per oz of Z2. The first time I applied it, I used 4 drops. By the time I was done applying, it was time to start removing it.

The next weekend I used 5 drops, and this was too much. With this one extra drop, it was drying much, much faster. And it was alot more work to remove compared to the first time with 4 drops.

This weekend, (which will be another low 90's weekend) I'll try 2 drops of ZFX. Hopefully I can relax with a lemonade between applying and removing, but not be anxiously waiting for it to dry.

I know people who don't use ZFX often allow their Z2 to dry for many hours or overnite. I'm not sure we want to try this using ZFX, especially in the summertime. While I'm sure it will come off, it does take a bit more work to do a good job.

Last edited by Scafremon; 09-05-2003 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:10 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Is a buffer recommended or arm force enough?

I waiting ont he UPS truck to arrive with my first supply!!
Old 09-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

You're exactly correct Scaf. If I let it sit overnight, I am not using the ZFX. It is harder to remove. I use 3-4 drops here in "sunny" PA. It seems to be just about ready to take off when I am done putting it on. I don't drink beer so I like to get it off of there right away.

A random orbital buffer is supposedly nice to use with Zaino. but I haven't tried one yet. Just done it by hand so far.

Quick Reply: Zaino for starters?