Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

New Paint/Car cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:20 PM
TRYNALIVEPRO

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Paint/Car cover

Recently got my entire car painted, and I picked it up from the bodyshop 1/13/09. I keep it parked in the garage and when the sun is out I'll pull it out and let it sit. I've noticed some light scratches on my passenger side A pillar that were not there before. Open my garage today to get my snow blower and to my surprise a raccoon is sitting on my roof , didnt even budge like it's his Z. I know it's freezing here so before I kick him out and have it laying on my conscience, is it safe to place the car cover on it or will it mess up the paint? reason I ask is because I remember when I purchased the car cover I read somewhere on the box "not to cover a freshly painted car for 6months". I'm very **** when it comes to scratches,dings etc.. Haven't washed the car since I got it back so it has dust on it.....
Old 03-02-2009, 05:23 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you put the car in the garage, then a car cover would be fine. if you leave the car outside, the car cover is not a good idea. If the wind blows, it will start rubbing on your paint and the paint will rub off. Also if it rains, a soaked car cover is not good sitting on the paint.

i would not put a car cover on it. Also dont wax your car for three months
Old 03-02-2009, 05:53 PM
TRYNALIVEPRO

thanks man, is it ok to let it sit outside of the garage on the weekends when it's sunny outside? for some strang reason in my mind I think it helps cure it. How about the light dust that it has accumulated, thinking about rinsing it off in April/May?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Gibbs
Know it all

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from a body man leaving it in the sun won't help it cure. Don't put a cover on it just leave it in the garage, and don't wax it for 3 months. Also don't feel bad about kicking out the racoon, it can find someone elses car to sleep on.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:49 PM
TRYNALIVEPRO

Originally Posted by Gibbs
Coming from a body man leaving it in the sun won't help it cure. Don't put a cover on it just leave it in the garage, and don't wax it for 3 months. Also don't feel bad about kicking out the racoon, it can find someone elses car to sleep on.
Advice taken, appreciate it....
Old 03-02-2009, 07:23 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRYNALIVEPRO
thanks man, is it ok to let it sit outside of the garage on the weekends when it's sunny outside? for some strang reason in my mind I think it helps cure it. How about the light dust that it has accumulated, thinking about rinsing it off in April/May?
The paint is safe to wash or whatever you want about 1-3 day after the paint job. basically when you get back your car, you can wash it, or whatever you usually do, just don't wax it. if swirls build up, you can use a body shop glaze.

It's pretty much cured already. Hope that helps.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:29 PM
TRYNALIVEPRO

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
The paint is safe to wash or whatever you want about 1-3 day after the paint job. basically when you get back your car, you can wash it, or whatever you usually do, just don't wax it. if swirls build up, you can use a body shop glaze.

It's pretty much cured already. Hope that helps.
Thankyou Sir
Old 03-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Son of Mad Dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill ask in this thread since it seems pertinent.

Car was repainted thanks to a damn deer. repainted week of 1/19/09, i have April 24th circled as the date to work on the paint.

Is there anything special i need to do? Right now, i plan on z-16 claybar at least.
I have swirls that i want to get rid of so i will probably need to do some sort of polish, then a sealer. Anything else i need to do esp for the new paint? I want as much of a deepness to the white as i can get. A good reflection is also a bonus.