Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Buffer situation

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 03:32 AM
ScottC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Buffer situation

I am going to perform the following today or tomorrow in the following order: wash, 3M swirl mark remover, wash, Blackfire polish, Blackfire protectant.

Now, here is my issue - I have no experience with a buffer, but I am thinking about getting one for this project. I'm afraid that my arms wont work right after I do it by hand.

1. do you pros suggest doing it all by hand?
2. advice with the buffer?
3. advice with the 3M SMR? (1st time using it)

Thanks for any help and advice.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:59 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

You don't really need to use both polishes... but I can tell you from my own experience with both products.. the 3M product does a much better job at 'cleaning up' then the Blackfire polish does. Washing the car will strip away any fillers the polish has left.. but the 3M polish is good for cleaning up mess/stains. Last time I used my 3M to spot polish the car, and used the Blakcfire on the entire body.

I'd recommend the 3M for spots, then BF the entire car.

I always use my orbital for the 3M unless I'm just doing one spot. I also recommend using the orbital for the Blackfire Polish application. You should take the excess off with a Microfiber towel.. same with the Blackfire.. orbital on.. MF off. The protectant I did by hand.. mostly because I didn't have a finishing pad for my orbital, and because of how thin they recommend putting it on.

Lesson learned with the 3M polish, do not use the orbital until it dries or hazes fully white.. it will be MUCH harder to remove.. you should buff it in but remove it before it hazes. Work in sections, removing as you go (its not like a wax you do the entire thing then remove).

Also, if you get to a point where you are having trouble getting some 3M off the car (its dried specs or something), simply dab some fresh 3M on your cloth and it will come right off!
Old 09-10-2003, 04:49 AM
ScottC

Unless I'm mistaken, the 3M Swirl Mark Remover is more of a filler for the fine scratches (or swirl marks of course) than a polish. At least thats why I bought it. I really dont have horrible swirl marks or scratches etc, but I can see some very fine marks in the bright sun.

Maybe I should find these marks and spot polish with the 3M? Do the entire car with the Blackfire (which I love).

I never even thought about putting it on with the buffer, just taking it off, thanks.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:31 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

The 3M has a slight abrasivness to it.. (which it uses to knock down edges on scratches/swirls) but in return is very good at cleaning up marks and stains (like stubborn bird/bug marks and water marks).

Any polish that isn't protected will be lost when you wash the car. So if you do 3M to fill scratches, then wash, you loose the filler effect (but still gain the cleaning and knocking down edges effects).

If your car not bad mark wise to begin with, I'd skip the 3M and go right to the Blackfire.. it does a great job at making fine marks disappear.

Also, for something like the 3M, the orbital is KEY to applying it.. using a orbital to remove material is just a time saver.. you can use to add more luster by buffing with it at the end.. but in general you use it as an applicator more then a remover.

You are talking about a random orbital right? not a true circular buffer? If a true circular.. don't use it ! Thats for the pros.

I have photos on my page (link in sig) with 'after' photos of both 3M+Blitz wax and then about 8 months later with just Blackfire.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:42 AM
ScottC

Yea, I was just reading about random vs. orbital. I think I might skip the buffer/3M - I'm no pro nor do I need a super showroom shine.

I will do as you say and use 3M SMR as a spot treatment.

Thanks for your help.