Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Wanna hand-buff my car (first-tiemer) - what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 07:38 PM
d!abolic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanna hand-buff my car (first-tiemer) - what do I need?

I was told to stay away from buffing with a machine since I'm noob and will ruin the paint.. this is probably true. So what do I need to buy to hand-buff the car?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

moved to the cleaning and detailing section.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:49 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How bad is the damage you are trying to correct? Hand-polishing is possible on minor swirls but it will take A LOT of time and force. Not worth it at all IMO. You should use a DA (dual action) buffer like the Porter Cable 7424. Research online and you will find more info on it on autopia.org and other detail sites that you need to know. DAs have no change of causing damage even in novice hands; that's who they are for actually. It's rotary buffers that should never be used by a novice.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rotary buffers can burn paint quickly if used wrong.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by d!abolic
I was told to stay away from buffing with a machine since I'm noob and will ruin the paint.. this is probably true. So what do I need to buy to hand-buff the car?
Polishing by hand can be done but it's hard to get very noticeable results. Polishes require a lot of heat and pressure to be fully broken down and worked in to the paint. A buffer can easily provide far more pressure and passes on the paint then any hand application can.

A rotary buffer moves at high speeds and does require a lot of practice to be used safely. However most weekend detailers now use orbital buffers which are extremely easy and safe to use. The two buffers that are very popular are the Porter Cable 7424 and the Flex XC 3401 VRG. I estimate that a hand application can help remove about 15% - 30% of the surface imperfections, PC 7424 50% - 70% and the Flex can remove about 90%+. If you would like more information about these buffers I'd be happy to help you out.

As for polishes I generally recommend a two step polishing process with a medium and light polish from Menzerna. My favorite combination is the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish (aka PO83) and the Menzerna PO106FA. If you prefer a more affordable option try the Menzerna Intensive Polish and Menzerna Final Polish II. Again please let me know if you have any questions about getting the most out of your detailing efforts.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-18-2009, 11:12 AM
d!abolic

Wow, the Flex looks amazing, but I can't justify spending $500 CND (after taxes / shipping) on this. Can I rent something like this locally, or buy something cheaper at a store?
Old 04-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Wow, the Flex looks amazing, but I can't justify spending $500 CND (after taxes / shipping) on this. Can I rent something like this locally, or buy something cheaper at a store?
Flex is pretty new to North America so I'm assuming you're not going to see it locally. You may be able to find a Porter Cable locally to buy or rent and save some money there. However you'll almost definitely still need to get your own backing plate and pads for the job.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-08-2009, 03:59 PM
d!abolic

Got a Porter Cable 7424 and a 6" pad. The place recommended Mother's Carnauba Wax, so I bought some of that too. I just got home and realized that it's not liquid though - did they give me the wrong stuff? The guy seemed pretty clueless because he suggested I hand-buff instead.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:51 PM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been very happy with my Meguiars G110, just for another option.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Lento

Got a Porter Cable 7424 and a 6" pad. The place recommended Mother's Carnauba Wax, so I bought some of that too. I just got home and realized that it's not liquid though - did they give me the wrong stuff? The guy seemed pretty clueless because he suggested I hand-buff instead.
^Listen to Detailed Image. Most local yolkal auto parts stores can't hold a candle to the advice you get on this forum.

For detailing the car start from step one.

1) Good wash with sheepskin mits, 2 buckets, good car wash soap (I use Turtle Wax Ice), dry with micro fiber towels.

2) Good claying. Get a clay bar and lube. This will take off a ton of crap that you may not even notice is on the car, and will help in the next steps.

3) Menzerna Glaze (at Detailed Image) Fills in really fine swirls and makes the paint pop.

4) Full Molecular Jacket sealant. Makes the paint (especailly on dark cars) pop, and protects, and binds with the Menzerna Glaze.

5) Wax with Poor boys Natty blue if you want a cheaper wax for a darker car. I have had luck with it and its really easy to use unlike mothers which really stains trimming if you get it on it.

I wouldn't even bother polishing by hand. Its really not going to do anything, and anything you could polish out the glaze and sealant will probably cover anyways.

I polished my car a few times with the turtle wax ice polish and I found it didn't really do much and ended up not allowing the glaze, and sealant to stick as well.

Plus I got just as good results just using the glaze, sealant and wax.

Good luck

you can get all the stuff I mentioned except for the turtle wax products and buckets from Detailedimage.com