Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Meguiars M26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Adrians07Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Meguiars M26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax ??

I just got my 07 Z a couple months ago .. already put over 4K miles on it and since she sits outside in the hot sun during the day (I work at a body shop) it was time to clean and wax it good

I put it away in my garage each night, so just sits outside about 10 hours a day

Pretty sure the previous owner didnt do anything since it was over a year old and only had 3K miles on it

So at first I got the mothers clay bar kit .. worked pretty good and got all the dirt off the paint .. then used the cleaner wax that was included

Cleaner wax didn't leave a deep gloss or any kind of extra shine at all .. so went and got some Meguiar's NXT 2.0 wax .. took a little work but left a nice looking shine

Then a couple weeks passed and at work I painted a new black Dodge Challenger SRT8 that was the owners car all over .. after paint I buffed the entire car and left very light swirl marks (its black) .. the other painter said use some of this (handed me a bottle) .. waxed the whole car and they were gone and left a really nice shine

Found out it was meguiars M26 yellow wax .. its carnuaba or some blend of it ..

got a bottle .. $12 at the auto parts store and put it on .. very easy on / off

very happy with the shine .. then a week later I put another coat on after washing and this is what I got -

I'd recommend using it .. Was going to get the Zaino detailing kit

Has anyone used it, if so ... is it any good? (ive seen good and bad things about it)
Old 06-25-2009, 12:49 PM
BlueBoxer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Asking for input on Zaino is like asking why Honda is better than Nissan or vice versa, people just have preferences and biases towards the topic. I have personally used Zaino and regular polish and wax combos and PERSONALLY feel that you can results just as good as Zaino with less steps, work, and expense. However, it all depends on how much work and money you want to put into the detail. I like sticking with a basic three step polish system, a sealant and my preferred wax, which is P21S or S100 if you are by a harley davidson shop.

This is the system I have stuck with the last few years, it isn't exotic or magic, but it gives consistent results everytime:

The basics:
2 wash buckets, one with the car soap of your choice and the other with water to rinse off your sponge inbetween panels.
Washmitt, a microfiber mitt or grout sponge will do fine.
Grab a box of latex gloves for detailing later, no reason to get your greasy and grubby fingerprints all over freshly cleaned, polished, and waxed paint as you go.
If you are starting from scratch grab some Dawn detergent to strip down your paint or even better you can go with Wash and Clear. If your paint has contaminants, tar, etc… you might want to thoroughly wash once and then clay bar your vehicle. I like Clay Magic or Chemical Guys sales a good sized bar too. You can use it with a quick detailer or highly lubricating car soap, just double the soap you would normally use.
Drying is the most important step. I personally use a water blade for the windows to save some time and the Big Blue Towel for all painted panels and parts. I love the towel more than anything else, if someone knows of something better other than an air blower let me know. If you do want to use an air blower you can get one as well, Air Dryer. I use two towels, the first goes over the entire car very lightly and the second gets misted with a quick detailing spray and completely dries the car on the second path. I don’t like using a dry towel on a painted service, hence the quick detailer spray.
Polishing, hopefully you will only need a medium polish and finishing polish along with a couple orange and white pads for use in that order. I like Menzerna polishes, Ceramic Clearcoat Polish and
SIP, the intensive polish in 16 oz. is close enough if you don’t want the large bottles. Meguiars 105 and 205 have been getting great reviews as well, especially with the now legendary KBM. I haven’t tried them personally so cannot vouch for either, but many others can.
Waxing, well, now we get into how much you want to spend and what are you looking for? I like Meguiars NXT 2.0, love S100 if you have a Harley shop nearby and even Klasse AIO is a good sealant. You can also get into the hundreds with Pinnacle, Swissvax, Zymbol (real Zymbol), et c… I like something inbetween like Collinite, P21S, or Chemical Guys. It comes down to budget and preference.
Sealants, are optional, but I love Full Molecular Jacket and never put on a coat of wax without applying it first. I would actually rather do two coats of it and skip

Again, you can just go with over the counter products and get pretty close to the results. 3M makes very decent polishes and NXT 2.0 is good enough for most.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Adrians07Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cool ..

I use the same method for washing and drying ..

I clayed my car, put a coat of nxt 2.0 .. then over the course of two months put two coats of meguiars #26 hi-tech yellow wax .. It seems to have a really nice shine to it and its cheap enough and easy to apply

guess I'll just stick to it instead of dropping $120 on a zaino detailing kit .. might get the zaino new leather stuff though .. it looks good and says it keeps that "new leather" smell which is part of the reason I bought the car