Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

First wax -- and a new discovery!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 01:21 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First wax -- and a new discovery!

OK, so this is not an earth-shattering discovery, but any news is exciting to us Z-fanatics, right? First of all, I went out and bought all the goodies for washing and waxing my new baby (decided on Meguiars).

As I'm going over the car, I discover to my amazement the application of the 3M-like "clear bra" material just ahead of the rear wheels. I never knew cars came from the factory with this stuff! It's nice to know it's there, since that's the major place for rock chips. (I remember some cars that used to have thick black stuff sprayed on there, but this looks so much nicer since it's basically invisible.)

BTW, I was very happy with the Meguiars wax since it was very easy to apply and it looks fantastic!
Old 08-31-2002, 01:41 PM
VaGentleman

In 4 months..let me know how it stands up. I'm gonna use Zaino Z5...2 coats...z2 1 coat...v6 1 coat. That is before delivery
Old 08-31-2002, 01:43 PM
VaGentleman

Btw..it's because I have a dark color!
Old 08-31-2002, 01:47 PM
JZC

Mine's gonna be black, one of those easier colors to keep clean.

I don't mind washing at all though, I love washing cars.

I'll wash the car more than I wash myself.
Old 08-31-2002, 01:57 PM
SilverStreak

Go with Zaino, last longer and provides a better shine than Meguires.
Old 08-31-2002, 02:01 PM
VaGentleman

thanks..I feel better!

Besides..that's what I've heard about Zaino.

Just want my finish to look wet and last at least 4 months!!

VaG
Old 08-31-2002, 02:28 PM
esk01998

Can you pick up Zaino wax at just an ordinary autoparts store or do you have to order it?

Also, VaGentleman, did your dealer do the waxing for you for free?
Old 08-31-2002, 02:34 PM
SilverStreak

Originally posted by esk01998
Can you pick up Zaino wax at just an ordinary autoparts store or do you have to order it?

Zaino is not a wax, it is a synthetic polish.

Hardcore users usually put 8 coats of either Z2 or Z5 and maintain it with Z6 in between washes and coats.

protects really well in the winter with even just one or two coats. For a bottle, you can probably do 20 coats since it works best when applied sparingly.

You need to order Zaino from their website or find a local distributor.
Old 08-31-2002, 02:54 PM
Brad4rdHay

Technicaly, its not a polish, but I'll covor that in the next Detailing Session.
Old 08-31-2002, 08:58 PM
mike952

Originally posted by Brad4rdHay
Technicaly, its not a polish, but I'll covor that in the next Detailing Session.
Yea, the word polish makes me nervous...
Old 08-31-2002, 11:39 PM
spf4000

Originally posted by SilverStreak

Zaino is not a wax, it is a synthetic polish.

Hardcore users usually put 8 coats of either Z2 or Z5 and maintain it with Z6 in between washes and coats.

protects really well in the winter with even just one or two coats. For a bottle, you can probably do 20 coats since it works best when applied sparingly.

You need to order Zaino from their website or find a local distributor.
Actually, hardcore users put 40+ coats on their cars before they are satisfied. Zaino's like crack.
Old 09-01-2002, 12:02 AM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: First wax -- and a new discovery!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by z350z
[B]
As I'm going over the car, I discover to my amazement the application of the 3M-like "clear bra" material just ahead of the rear wheels. I never knew cars came from the factory with this stuff! It's nice to know it's there, since that's the major place for rock chips. (I remember some cars that used to have thick black stuff sprayed on there, but this looks so much nicer since it's basically invisible.)

Yeah, they also use this on the nissan frontier and on the toyota rav 4 on the rocker panels, just to name a couple. Pretty soon the whole front ends are gonna come from the factory with 3M film on them and put me out of a job!
Old 09-01-2002, 12:05 AM
VaGentleman

Originally posted by esk01998

As stated above, you have to go to their website or find a local distributor. If you can't find a distributor in your local yellow pages, call Sal Zaino, he'll give you the phone number.

When I called the general sales manager about applying the Zaino before delivery, I offered to pay the going labor rate for someone in the body shop to apply it. He told me that would not be necessary and to just bring in the products. I stopped in yesterday with products and went straight through the showroom to the GM's office. It seems that he's going to apply it himself!! (he's a real car nut too *S*). My Sept 4th deliver date is still standing, but I'll feel better when I see it appear on his inventory.

Funny thing, he asked me "how did you like the Z in the showroom?". I was puzzled and looked back. Damn if I didn't walk right by the chrome silver touring that was sitting right in front of the door I came through. He had 4-5 guys stationed around it carefully watching the customers as if it were a shipment of gold. No touching and definitely no getting inside. Guess I overlooked it because of all of the other cars in the showroom were also silver (no disrespect to those w/ silver or silverstone....It's a schweet look, I'm just a brickyard kinda guy).

I didn't ooh and ahh over it (even though inside I was bursting with ooohs and ahhhs)....I'm going to save that for my Z
Old 09-01-2002, 05:11 AM
esk01998

Default Washing Cars

I usually wash and wax my own cars. However, the apartment complex I'm living at right now won't let people wash or wax their cars on the premise.

This leaves me with the only choice of having to take the car to the carwash, which I don't really like.

1. Will putting on the Zaino protect my car from carwashes?

2. Also, how much does the Zaino product cost?

3. The idea of polishing new paint is not too appealing to me. It says on the thread that it is not really a polish, but is it safe and will it protect the car better than wax?
Old 09-01-2002, 06:40 AM
bhobson333

Default Zaino info

If you go for the whole Zaino program it can cost close to $100 to get all the different products (claybar, Z2 (sealant/polish), Z6 (gloss enhancer), accellerator, carwash) but everyone that has tried it seems to be giving away their Meguier's I've never tried it, but I'm convinced and will be ordering it before my Z arrives.

It's called a polish but it is not abrasive

Best place for real info is here:

http://www.zainobros.com
Old 09-01-2002, 08:04 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

I read about the Zaino, but I decided to go for Meguiars because it's (a) a lot less work (b) a lot cheaper (c) available at my local auto parts store. It took me about an hour to wash and wax the car, and it looks great. The paint is brand new, so it doesn't need a lot of polishing and cleaning; an easy application of the liquid Meguiars, and it's beautiful. I don't want to spend all day waxing, but if someone like to do that, go for it!
Old 09-01-2002, 11:04 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I decided to go for Meguiars because it's (a) a lot less work
Depends on how you look at it, and how you do Meguiars. I used to annually do a four step Meguiars treatment (Clay/cleaner/polish/wax), then a three or four other waxes (possibly with a polish pass, depending on what it looked like).

Zaino, which goes on and off much quicker than Meguiars did even with a buffer, lasts much longer and in the end requires less work to keep the car looking nice.

Meguiars just doesn't last anywhere near as long for me.
Old 09-01-2002, 04:03 PM
Ray

Talking MUGUIRAS DID THE JOB!

BIG TIME WAXED IT TWICE TODAY THE LEMANS SUNSET LOOKS LIKE A LEMANS SUNSET SMOOTH NICE TRY IT EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2002, 04:17 PM
Brad4rdHay

Man, if your going to shout, at least speak in whole sentances.
Old 09-01-2002, 06:00 PM
David Si

Like MannishBoy said, Zaino's is not any more work than Meguiars. The first coat will take a full day if done right, but now it takes me less than 45 minutes to put a good coat of zaino on my civic. And it goes on and comes off much easier than meguiars. It barely takes any pressure to wipe off. I could tell a difference when I switched, especially with several coats of Zaino. It is expensive though, I think it cost me about $75 to start.

It lasts forever too. Easily lasting through 2 or 3 months of Florida weather and sun, where I have found other waxes completely gone after 1 month. Especially in the summer.