Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Need Help With Love Bug Stained Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 05:39 AM
FLfinfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Love Bug Stained Paint

Cleaned my rear end off. Took hours. Still not 100% right.

Aftermath from trip to Orlando. The little darlings were on the car about 4 hours. I started cleaning the minute I got out of the car at home. It sounded like rain hitting the car when on the highway. I had to stop to clean the windshield at a gas station because I could barely see.
I soaked the bugs in soapy water from a sponge, I washed 4 times. I waxed 3 times. I rinsed the radiator inside the front end. I thought I had it good, but today, from just the right angle and in just the right light, I can see ghost images of bug splatters.
The bra cleaned up pretty nice, but the hood area has fingerprint like smudges that won't go away. Hard to see unless just at the right angle and in just the right light.

You might be able to see where the shadow line meets the sun line just before the palm reflection. My line drawer is not saving on the pic, sorry. I had them circled, but won't carry over.

Couple of questions.
1. Will a clay bar take off those faint ghost image splatter marks?
2. Has anyone seen the hood portion of the bra sold without the bottom portion. I only need the top, and maybe mirror bras. No ghost image on the mirrors, but they piled up good there too.
If you can help, thanks.

Last edited by FLfinfan; 05-16-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:54 AM
Swimminggerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol looks like your preparing to jump to hyperspace there buddy.

Sounds like a lot of work to remove that mess. Try a clay bar, might help not sure though. My guess is that you did not completely remove the bug residue as you stated you can still see their ghost. I doubt the bugs have muscularly bonded with your clear coat so there must be a slight amount of them left on there. Id clean the area again a few more times with microfiber and hope it removes it, then clay bar it. PITA man, I hope I dont run into this.

Do you always wear a bro or just put it on for the trip? Not a fan of it on our cars, but completely understandable for a trip like this. (good thinking)

oh yeah, they also have those sponges with nylon mesh on it to remove bugs/tar like this. Ive never used it on a nice new car, only my older ones. worked well in getting all that garbage off. Its kind of like an abraive (safe for paint as its made of the nylon <-- I think). Thats what they claim anyways.

Last edited by Swimminggerman; 05-16-2010 at 05:55 AM. Reason: more info
Old 05-16-2010, 06:13 AM
FLfinfan

Ya, I used two different types of sponges that have the mesh covering. I used regular sponges. I used natural and synthetic sponges.
Loves bugs are a Florida thing, that sucks! Their bodies contain some sort of acid or corrosive that will eat paint right off a car if left to long. They usually have 2 distinct seasons. Now is one of those seasons I guess. Usually it starts when the temps hit the 90's. Lasts a couple of weeks to a month each time. Kinda got sneak attacked on this one because the bugs have not been bad around town. But the outskirts were alittle worse, and the areas between towns on the interstate was terrible.
Do not love the bra either but you can see why I put it on. Around town, bugs not so big a problem. But highway? Real bad!
I picked up a Turtle wax ICE clay kit (3 part) hope it works.
You should see my driveway. Looks like someone dumped pepper on it from all the little dead bodies.

Last edited by FLfinfan; 05-16-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:23 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You got some serious bugs in Florida!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:45 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL

man that's the worst I've ever seen a car

gotta dig love bug season

my advice- get behind another car when you're traveling and let them clear the bugs out for you.

as far as the stains, they should come out. the clay bar and a light polish may do it- detailed image may also be able to help you figure it out.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:20 AM
drivessidewayz

I think advance sells a two piece bra. Maybe you could find their supplier and buy the upper half from them? Last I checked though, the ship time was a month and a half =\
Old 05-16-2010, 07:40 AM
glenns280

clay bar should do it the the rest of the wax steps,i feel ya man love bug season sucks
Old 05-16-2010, 09:42 AM
GhostRiderXXX

I guess it's mating season in Florida!
Old 05-16-2010, 09:56 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

^giggity giggity!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:00 AM
FLfinfan

Don't know if this is true or not but I heard more than once, U of FL created this boondoggle. They were trying to create a bug that ate mosquitos, but it did not work. Birds do not eat them, and they serve no natural purpose. Can't remember is lizards here eat'em either.Well except to create car wash jobs and car wash supply material jobs.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:05 AM
FLfinfan

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
my advice- get behind another car when you're traveling and let them clear the bugs out for you.
I unfortunately took an alternate route to avoid traffic and to be able to open up the Z and stretch it's legs alittle. Not so good a choice if you wanted a blocker. If I would have known I would have drafted a semi the whole way on the other route. But today, the other way I would have gone was terrible too. You can tell who has been on the highway and who has not.

By the way forgot to mention, there was a large group of people on motor cycles going through this mess too. I felt sorry for them.

Last edited by FLfinfan; 05-16-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:28 PM
JMT

Try using some Bounce fabric softener soaked in water. It works wonders with dried on bugs.

Here are some threads:

https://my350z.com/forum/search.php?searchid=11450440

Last edited by JMT; 05-16-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:41 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FLfinfan
Don't know if this is true or not but I heard more than once, U of FL created this boondoggle. They were trying to create a bug that ate mosquitos, but it did not work. Birds do not eat them, and they serve no natural purpose. Can't remember is lizards here eat'em either.Well except to create car wash jobs and car wash supply material jobs.
Yeah, this is the pretty common story- I didn't find out until a couple of years ago that it's just urban legend. They are actually natural creatures.

They have it on wikipedia or whatever.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:12 AM
NismoZ123

Default Water

Stuff is actually water soluble... takes a few minutes with water, it should wipe off with a little elbow grease.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:21 AM
FLfinfan

What stuff is soluble? The love bug or the cleaner?
Old 05-17-2010, 04:14 PM
exZilaration

Useless lovebugs
Their blood causes some chemical reaction with the clear coat. I usually just use alot of elbow grease in getting the bugs off and hitting it with some 3M hand glaze
Old 05-18-2010, 06:11 AM
FLfinfan

If I used anymore elbow grease I would dent the hood. I re-clayed last night and then re-detail sprayed, and then re-waxed. I got the bug splatter ghosts, but left some clay smudges and residue, maybe even some minor scratches. I used a heavy hand with the clay the 1st time and that may have caused a problem with scratches, residue, smudges. The thing that really helped the most was a newer better wax. Acceptable now. My truck is a different story. I can let that go alittle, not the Z.

Last edited by FLfinfan; 05-18-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:58 AM
c0ld29

if you go into an autoparts store they have tar/bug remover on the car wash aisles, just make sure you get the ones that are clear coat safe as they have tar remover that will strip the clear also