Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Anyway better to wipe off my car than a chamois?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 10:40 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Anyway better to wipe off my car than a chamois?

I use a chamois to wipe my Z off after washing it. Is there a better way to wipe it off that is easier and quicker yet getting good results?
Old 11-04-2003, 11:12 AM
BSimp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought the California water blade that people rave about. I have not really taken to it like other have, but I guess it is alright.

Personally, I really like using my large towels from www.dftowel.com They are super absorbant and super soft.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:13 AM
Kevin Overall

Default Re: Anyway better to wipe off my car than a chamois?

Originally posted by zland
I use a chamois to wipe my Z off after washing it. Is there a better way to wipe it off that is easier and quicker yet getting good results?

There are different kind of chamois, are you talking about the leather kind, if so I quit using those years ago, they seemed to pull wax off the surface and got hard and molded easily.

I now use The Absorber chamois which is man made....

Also many are using forced air to blow dry their cars, I have a 225 mph electric Craftsman leaf blower that works well also...
Old 11-04-2003, 11:24 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Re: Re: Anyway better to wipe off my car than a chamois?

Originally posted by Kevin Overall
Also many are using forced air to blow dry their cars, I have a 225 mph electric Craftsman leaf blower that works well also...
Do these leaf blowers actually get off the water without water spots? Is it quicker? How much do those things cost?

Jeff
Old 11-04-2003, 11:26 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Re: Re: Anyway better to wipe off my car than a chamois?

Originally posted by Kevin Overall
I now use The Absorber chamois which is man made....
where can I get this Absorber chamois ?
Old 11-04-2003, 12:44 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

California water blade. Better than a chamois !
Old 11-04-2003, 12:54 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Ok, you guys are giving me suggestions but where can I buy these products. I guess I am lame as far as knowing about car care products!

PS: Thanks for all the suggestions, Jeff
Old 11-04-2003, 12:58 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Pep boys or comparable. $199.95 for the water blade. $10 for the man made chamois
Old 11-04-2003, 12:59 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

I mean $19.95, lol
Old 11-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Kevin Overall

Default Re: Re: Re: Anyway better to wipe off my car than a chamois?

Originally posted by zland
Do these leaf blowers actually get off the water without water spots? Is it quicker? How much do those things cost?

Jeff
Mine cost about 50 or 60 bucks, but I am told that Checker, Shcucks, and Kragen is selling a blower for like 20 dollar especially made for drying cars with.

I always use Z-6 detail spray on all my cars after each washing and drying so naturally I would never have any water spots. If you are not using Zaino, you should for all sakes use some kind of detailer spray on your car after you wash it, this does many things, remove water spots if you have caused any that day, shine the paint, and puts down a thin layer of waxes to keep road debris from sticking to the paint to make your next washing job much easier.

The Absorber is at all WalMarts right next to the waxes and car washes.....
Old 11-04-2003, 01:08 PM
350zluvr

I have tried "The Absorber" and hated it. It would squeek as I pulled it across the surface and no matter what I did it managed to bunch up. It also left water streaks for me and could not dry the car as effectively as a regular towel could. I must agree though that it is made of some pretty cool material that if left out to dry will become hard, but as soon as water is added it turns back to it's original form. + I managed to get it dirty, and could not wash it out.

I have recently returned it and bought a chamois sponge which I will try in about a week or two and see how that goes for me.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:09 PM
SungNamZ

Chamois are NO good! Collects dirt. Haven't tried the blade, so can't comment. As to leaf blowers, initially the $$$ scared me off until I saw a post in "Detailing" about a Nikota Car and Shop Blower for $19.99. It's small, soft touch and put out air at 180+ mph. Found it on sale at Checker. It is "awesome"! Gets all that water out of your mirror, hatch area, inside doors, small trim cracks, lights (head and tail) and behind bumper. Also go into detailing and look for "Big Blue". A good source is www.pakshad.com. Get two (2)! They dry my "Z" faster than anything I have tried!
Old 11-04-2003, 02:16 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "hot ticket", imho, is BigBlu:

http://www.properautocare.com/bigbludryint.html

Expensive but takes water off fast & no chance of scratching.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:16 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

bad link
Old 11-04-2003, 02:56 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by The Rat's Z
The "hot ticket", imho, is BigBlu:

http://www.properautocare.com/bigbludryint.html

Expensive but takes water off fast & no chance of scratching.
I just ordered a Bigblu. I will get it in 2-9 days and I will post my impressions on it then. Thanks, Jeff

PS: I might try those other suggestions to later. Heck ,if it is cheap enough, why not try 2 methods!
Old 11-04-2003, 02:59 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by 350zluvr
I have tried "The Absorber" and hated it. It would squeek as I pulled it across the surface and no matter what I did it managed to bunch up. It also left water streaks for me
I tried the Absorber too based on comments from people here and all it did was turn my big water beads in hundreds of smaller beads that left hundreds of smaller water spots. I have been using the "Blade" for several months now and I really like it. Someone here posted about trying the Mr. Clean Autodry but, I do recall seeing the results.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:40 PM
SungNamZ

Should have been: www.pakshak.com Another source for "BigBlue".
Old 11-07-2003, 07:26 AM
CelticPride2

I used to use a synthetic chamois similar to the Abosorber, but I found the Cali blade to be much better...if you use the Cali blade to dry it while the car is cool and in the shade, it shouldn't leave any streaks...just make sure to wipe it clean every few passes so you don't accidentally drag dirt across the paint. The blade itself is guaranteed not to scratch, but any dirt that your drag with it will...

Although I use the blade for most of the heavy drying, I haven't totally ditched the chamois...I still find the chamois useful for cleaning out the water from narrow spaces (gaps between the body panels, around the gas cap door, etc.

--D.J.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:34 AM
doo925

Use the leaf blower. Chamois tend to get VERY small dirt particle imbedded in the fabric. Every time you wipe down your car you are putting small scratches into the paint. Leafblowers are far more paint friendly, just don't drop it onto your car like my buddy did.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:46 AM
scottycoyote

one thing ive found that helps is to take the nozzle off your hose so the water is running freely (or do like me and put on a y connector).......then with water running put it on the top....the hood.....etc.......it causes a sheeting action that makes most of the water just run right off your car. After that its a breeze to just blow it with a leaf vac or wipe with a towel.....its already about 95% dry at that point

Quick Reply: Anyway better to wipe off my car than a chamois?