Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

If somebody wants to be nice, tell me the perfect zaino procedure for a newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 12:48 PM
Subbacultcha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question If somebody wants to be nice, tell me the perfect zaino procedure for a newbie.

I really want to use zaino, but I'm scared. Somebody please hold my hand...

I've read all the tips and hints on the zaino site but I have also notice many people here don't follow them all the way(such as using dawn, or a different applicator, or a different lube for claying).

For the zaino experts out there, what is the step by step proceduce for a newbie to strip the car of previous wax, clay, and application of zaino?

Or to make it easier, you can just talk about what and where you deviate from the specific instructions from the zaino website and why?
Old 11-18-2003, 01:11 PM
Kevin Overall

Default Re: If somebody wants to be nice, tell me the perfect zaino procedure for a newbie.

Originally posted by Subbacultcha
I really want to use zaino, but I'm scared. Somebody please hold my hand...

I've read all the tips and hints on the zaino site but I have also notice many people here don't follow them all the way(such as using dawn, or a different applicator, or a different lube for claying).

For the zaino experts out there, what is the step by step proceduce for a newbie to strip the car of previous wax, clay, and application of zaino?

Or to make it easier, you can just talk about what and where you deviate from the specific instructions from the zaino website and why?
Its not that hard, so here goes:

1. Wash and dry the car, use Dawn as the soap if you have waxed or polished the car before, you can use Z-7 car wash if you are sure you have only bare paint currently, the paint should squeak under your fingers after you have stripped it and dried it.

2. If you want to clay bar it, take your Z-18 clay bar, I like to use 1/2 of 1 of the 2 bars. Mix up your clay solution using 1/2 cap full of Z-7 into 16 to 20 ounces of water, work one foot sections, spray and using a pan cake shaped clay bar with two fingers pressure slide the clay over the paint after lubing it, it may not slide so easy at first and drag a little, this is good, this is the clay bar removing the paint contamination. When done with an area, you can give it a quick wipe with your towel to prevent water spotting. Always clay on a completely cool surface out of the sun.

3. After clay entire car, it is best to rewash with Z-7 to completely remove all clay lube.

4. Mix the ZFX either into Z-5 or Z-2 depending on which one you are using. If you have BOTH Z-2 and Z-5, ALWAYS use Z-5 FIRST for the first few coats and then go with the Z-2.

5. Apply ZFX activated Zaino polish the entire car, all over using back and forth motions. Apply thin and EVEN. 1/2 to 3/4 of an ounce is plenty for a Z car. On the first coat the paint will take more polish so you might use a tad more polish on the first coat and less and less on the coats after the first one. Take the Zaino applictor and slightly dampen it with either water or Z-6 to make the polish slide more.

6. Wait for the polish to dry, should be dry in less than 30 min to an hour if the temp outside is above 60 or 70, might be longer if cold or damp outside or if you are a newbie and put too much on the paint the first time. From 10 feet away, you should just barely be able to tell that there is any polish on the surface.

7. Take your DF towel, cotton towel, or other micro fiber towel and buff off the Zaino residue

8. Gently mist the Z-6 on one foot sections and wipe until dry for a high 3D gloss.

9. You can repeat 5 thru 7 up to 3 times in one day, unlimited use of Z-6.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:23 PM
bixby

Well, DrBonz is the real expert on this forum but I'll give it a shot.

Purchase:
Zaino
-Claybar
-Z2
-Z5
-Z6
-Z7
-ZFX

Dawn Dish Soap

100% Made in USA Cotton Bath Towels (at least 6). They must be made in USA

100% cotton applicators

Large Carbon Fiber Towel

12 oz Spray bottle (unless you have an empty one you can use).

Then:

1. Wash car with Dawn
2. Claybar using 1 cap of Z7 wash per 12 oz spray bottle making
sure to keep the area being clayed wet at all times.
3. re-wash car with dawn Note: I clayed the entire car & did not
remove residue prior to this step.
4. Dry car with CF towel.
5. Mix 2 oz Z5 /w 6 drops ZFX in 2 oz bottle that came with ZFX
6. use Z6 spray to get your applicator wet.
7. Apply 1st coat of Z5 (very thin, should only use about 1 oz to
cover the entire car).
8. Remove 1st coat (drying time varies but if you wipe with finger
it should not smear, hince - it's dry. 30 to 45 minutes should do)
9. Apply coat of Z6 spray per instructions.
10. Apply second coat of Z5 & repeat 7, 8, & 9.
11. Apply coat of Z2 striaght from bottle (no ZFX this time)
12. Apply another coat of Z6.

Okay, now you may apply Z2, Z5 &/or Z6 when ever you want. Per Zaino's instructions, you'll never want to apply more than 3 coats using the ZFX in any 24 hour period. Also, you may choose to skip the claybar step but I highly recommend it. And, if you're happy with the finish (no fine scratches or swirl marks) you don't need to apply Z5 (just use Z2 in it's place above).

One last thing; If you choose not to use ZFX then do not apply more than 1 coat (Z2 or Z5) within a 24 hour period but you may apply Z6 as much as you want. You may leave a coat (Z2 or Z5) on over night as well.

DrBonz....Please audit for me.

Last edited by bixby; 11-18-2003 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:35 PM
91na

I have to say that I am very proud of both of the above posts!

In ANY other forum they would have whooped out the "Have you ever heard of the SEARCH button?" thing.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:51 PM
Subbacultcha

Originally posted by 91na

In ANY other forum they would have whooped out the "Have you ever heard of the SEARCH button?" thing.
Thanks for the procedures, guys. I'm really interested in parts where they didn't follow what zaino says and why.

but a Search for zaino here yields 1,233 results...um I can't read all that.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:07 PM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by bixby
Well, DrBonz is the real expert on this forum but I'll give it a shot.

Purchase:
Zaino
-Claybar
-Z2
-Z5
-Z6
-Z7
-ZFX

Dawn Dish Soap

100% Made in USA Cotton Bath Towels (at least 6). They must be made in USA

100% cotton applicators

Large Carbon Fiber Towel

12 oz Spray bottle (unless you have an empty one you can use).

Then:

1. Wash car with Dawn
2. Claybar using 1 cap of Z7 wash per 12 oz spray bottle making
sure to keep the area being clayed wet at all times.
3. re-wash car with dawn Note: I clayed the entire car & did not
remove residue prior to this step.
4. Dry car with CF towel.
5. Mix 2 oz Z5 /w 6 drops ZFX in 2 oz bottle that came with ZFX
6. use Z6 spray to get your applicator wet.
7. Apply 1st coat of Z5 (very thin, should only use about 1 oz to
cover the entire car).
8. Remove 1st coat (drying time varies but if you wipe with finger
it should not smear, hince - it's dry. 30 to 45 minutes should do)
9. Apply coat of Z6 spray per instructions.
10. Apply second coat of Z5 & repeat 7, 8, & 9.
11. Apply coat of Z2 striaght from bottle (no ZFX this time)
12. Apply another coat of Z6.

Okay, now you may apply Z2, Z5 &/or Z6 when ever you want. Per Zaino's instructions, you'll never want to apply more than 3 coats using the ZFX in any 24 hour period. Also, you may choose to skip the claybar step but I highly recommend it. And, if you're happy with the finish (no fine scratches or swirl marks) you don't need to apply Z5 (just use Z2 in it's place above).

One last thing; If you choose not to use ZFX then do not apply more than 1 coat (Z2 or Z5) within a 24 hour period but you may apply Z6 as much as you want. You may leave a coat (Z2 or Z5) on over night as well.

DrBonz....Please audit for me.
If you choose not to use ZFX a coat of Zaino will cure (after polish residue removal) in 6 to 7 hours if the outside temp is above 70 degrees, if colder wait 24 hours for the next coat in order for it to layer.

ZFX is mixed at a ratio of 4 to 5 drops per ounce of polish, so if you mix up 2 ounces you will need to use 8 to 10 drops. Personally I only ever mix a maxium of 1 ounce at a time, I never use two ounces all in the same day.

What is a Carbon Fiber towel, LOL
Old 11-18-2003, 06:25 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks kevin

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=50573
Old 11-20-2003, 07:00 PM
bixby

Originally posted by Kevin Overall
If you choose not to use ZFX a coat of Zaino will cure (after polish residue removal) in 6 to 7 hours if the outside temp is above 70 degrees, if colder wait 24 hours for the next coat in order for it to layer.

ZFX is mixed at a ratio of 4 to 5 drops per ounce of polish, so if you mix up 2 ounces you will need to use 8 to 10 drops. Personally I only ever mix a maxium of 1 ounce at a time, I never use two ounces all in the same day.

What is a Carbon Fiber towel, LOL
Oops....LOL You mean to tell me you've never used a CF towel? Thanks for the corrections!
Old 11-21-2003, 07:54 AM
JamRWS6

LOL.....i bet a true Carbon Fiber towel would scratch like no other.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by JamRWS6
LOL.....i bet a true Carbon Fiber towel would scratch like no other.
Yeah, but it would be a LOT LIGHTER and therefore easier to use!

I completely agree with both Kevin and Bixby and that is exactly how I do it.

I usually do two layers in a weekend when I do Zaino maintanence so I use one Z-5 with ZFX and the second layer I do a Z-2 WITHOUT ZFX and I leave it on overnight. It is really easy to take off the next morning and doing it this way seems to give a softer deeper shine on the Brick. I average about a 12 hour cure time on the car when not using ZFX.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:22 PM
SungNamZ

Originally posted by 91na

I would jump in, but Kevin, Bixby and Dr Bonz have covered all the bases. GREAT job guys. If I would emphasize anything, it would be to stay away from 100% Cotton Towels. Use only DF Towels from www.dftowel.com