Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

My Detailing Conquests!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv
how many miles on your car?
Old 01-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Diesel350

A few more pics.

Few fine scratches on roof:

Scratches all gone:

Showing the gloss of the Blackfire sealant on hood, Love the Black Fire Wet Diamond since it makes the paint soo silky smooth.

Driver door:

Old 01-16-2011, 05:26 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Impressed.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking really good!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:15 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

could you post your step by step method OP? I like your results, I thinkin about gettin my own pc
Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 PM
BillytheKid

Originally Posted by viva la spam
could you post your step by step method OP? I like your results, I thinkin about gettin my own pc
definitely wanna know your secrets
Old 01-18-2011, 05:34 AM
Diesel350

Sure, I think the most overlooked area in this whole process is the washing step. It is important to employ the 2 bucket system with a Grit Guard to minimize putting scratches on your car. You will notice all the dirt that you pick up on your mitt at the bottom of your bucket when using the Grit Guard. This is the same dirt you are picking up from your bucket if you are using just one bucket and putting it all over your paint causing scratch city. This is what I had been doing to my paint over the years and was wondering where the hell these scratches/swirls were coming from.

When preparing the paint for a polishing the first step you want to take is to use a solution that will strip any wax off the car and make the surface bare for polishing. Dawn soap works great for this.

After washing the car with Dawn soap you want to dry the car and then Clay bar the entire car to remove embedded contamination that could not be removed by regular washing. When applying the clay bar you want to use a clay bar lubricant. Any quick detailer with cleaning properties and no protective properties works fine. You should clay bar the car at least twice per year.

Once I am done with the Clay Bar process I will quickly wash the car again to remove any loosened contamination and get it ready for the polish process.

For polishing I use the Porter Cable 7424XP. Great for the novice and can be found on any online store for around $125.00 Polishing removes any imperfections in the paint so it will yield the most dramatic difference. For heavy paint correction I use the 2 step polish process. If you don't need heavy paint correction then you can just use a good finishing polish and that's it. For the two step polish I use Meguiar's M105 and M205. I use a Lake Country Cyan pad with the M105 for the cutting polish and a Tangerine pad with the M205 finishing polish to take down any micro marring left by the cutting polish. For heavy correction I like to employ the slow cut process which involves several slow passes and spraying detail spray on the pad to get the most out of the product as possible.

Next step would be applying a wax sealant. Sealants usually last 3-6 months. I use the Blackfire Wet Diamond with the Crimson pad on a speed of 3. At this point you can either add another layer of Blackfire or you can choose to add a Carnauba wax to give you the wettest look possible. I have not applied a Carnauba wax to my car yet but will be soon to see what kind of difference it makes.

Last edited by Diesel350; 01-18-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:46 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Sure, I think the most overlooked area in this whole process is the washing step. It is important to employ the 2 bucket system with a Grit Guard to minimize putting scratches on your car. You will notice all the dirt that you pick up on your mitt at the bottom of your bucket when using the Grit Guard. This is the same dirt you are picking up from your bucket if you are using just one bucket and putting it all over your paint causing scratch city. This is what I had been doing to my paint over the years and was wondering where the hell these scratches/swirls were coming from.
totally agree. i need to start applying this method when i wash my car from now on. i feel like i wasted 2 hrs of washing whenever i see scratches and swirls after i dry.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:38 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by BillytheKid
definitely wanna know your secrets
Diseal did a good job outlining his process. If you are interested in some of these same exact products here are some package deals you may be interested in.

Washing and Drying
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
OR
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay Bar
DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube

Polishes, Buffer and Pads (Includes Porter Cable, Meguiar's M105&M205 and matching Pad)
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Basic Kit
OR
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads

Sealant
Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger (apply by hand or use the PC and a Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad)

Waxes
If interested hand apply a wax afterward for even more shine and protection.
Two great options are the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax, Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax or any of the Dodo Juice Waxes.

If you have any questions or if you want a recommendation tailored to your needs please don't hesitate to ask. Take care!

Greg
Old 01-18-2011, 10:29 AM
BillytheKid

thanks for the write up. im definitely picking up all that stuff before spring.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:09 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Just to add a comment.............I bought a Griot's Garage DA Buffer about 3 years ago. It is probably the best car care investment I ever made. It keeps both my cars looking outstanding. I would recommend that anyone who cares about their cars finish should buy a DA buffer.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Diesel350

Did some more polishing today to take out a few scratches then apply my second coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond. Here are two scratches that would not come out with a Cyan Pad and M105 cutting polish:

So I decided to whip out the most aggressive pad I had which is the Yellow pad and put my Porter Cable on a speed of 6 and these stubborn scratches are gone!! Keep in mind this pic below is just the cutting polish, I haven't even applied the finishing polish or sealant at this point.

Another stubborn scratch that I got rid of with a Cyan pad Before:

After:

After 2 coats of Blackfire Wet Sealant Pic taken with Iphone:

Pic Taken with point and shoot:

Close up, Look at that smoothness:

Pic taken with Iphone and HDR processing app

Pic taken with point and shoot.

A few more pics with the point and shoot showing 2 coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond

Last edited by Diesel350; 01-22-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:15 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

thanks for the response disel350, Detailed image I will contact u guys in the first week of feb
Old 02-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Diesel350

Detailed my other car today, 2010 Lexus IS250 with 15,000 mile on it. 1 yr old never been waxed before. Paint is in great condition with only a few minor scratches.

Washed- 2 bucket system with Dawn
Clayed
Polished with Meguiars M205
2 Coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant

Here are 2 scratches on the door that would not come off with regular washing. Have no clue how they got on there but I'm sure it was the wife. Before:

I ended up removing it with the Lake Country Tangerine Hydro-Tech finishing pad and M205. After:

A few pics of Lexi after she's all done with 2 coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant:

The BlackFire Wet Diamond really brings out the flakes in the paint.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:57 AM
McLen

Wow, I love that Lexus paint! Awesome job man, keep em coming! I'm getting inspired here
Old 02-15-2011, 01:14 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

This thread delivers.

Thanx diesel350 and detailed image. I read the detailers guide and placed my order based on your results
Old 02-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

This thread delivers.

Thanx diesel350 and detailed image. I read the detailers guide and placed my order based on your results
Glad to hear the information was helpful and I appreciate the purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about the products I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Old 02-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Diesel350

Well I decided to clay and Polish my stove today. I clayed it first then used a cut compound and then a finishing polish on my porter cable 7424XP. While it looks better and I got alot of the gunk off that was caked on the glass I could not get the fine scratches to go away for some reason.

Pics before:

Pics After:

Old 02-17-2011, 06:50 PM
G35Buzz

Lmao, someone had the detail bug!!!! Even the Stove is not safe

Everything looks really good ...what type of time are spending in the washes and waxes?
Old 02-18-2011, 04:26 AM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by G35Buzz
Lmao, someone had the detail bug!!!! Even the Stove is not safe

Everything looks really good ...what type of time are spending in the washes and waxes?
Depends, for a 1 step polish around 6-8 hours but for a 2-step polish it took me more than a day.

Quick Reply: My Detailing Conquests!