Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

New Z Owner, Need Ultimate Cleaning Sesh

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 05:14 PM
CannMann21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Z Owner, Need Ultimate Cleaning Sesh

Hey guys,
Just picked up my Z a few days ago. However, it needs a really good wash on the exterior. What did you guys do as soon as you brought the car home. I think the dealer washed it with a brush because it has some swirly marks on it

1) What do you guys use to shampoo your mats?

2) I used some armor all on the door panels, but because of the material it is made of, it kinda sinked through? Its hard to explain, but it probably dryed from now. Anything specific to use on these instead of (enter brand name) interior cleaner?

3) Like I said, car has some swirly scratch marks and the paint is kind of dull. I want to give it a real good wash and wax, but what else could I do? paint color is black.

4) What to use for the stock exhaust tips? I need to make them shiny again!

5) Is it possible to buff foggy headlights at home? Or do I have to bring them to a detailer?

Last edited by CannMann21; 04-07-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 04-07-2012, 07:17 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Go to detailed image and start spending money

Exterior - honestly, just get a random orbital buffer, you can do your headlights, swirls and seal the paint it'll most likely look brand new.

Interior - 303 aerospace protectarant is awesome stuff

For floor mats - I cleaned mine yesterday, I used warm water some liquid detergent and a brush

Do some searching, their are lots of great threads on detailing here

Good luck, welcome

Oh and post some pics
Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sure would check the threads on detailing thoughts.
There are plenty.
One thing though,those pesky door panels.
They are a ***** to get cleaned right without splotches.
Best thing I've found is NOT to use any protectorant stuff.
Armoral is the worst!
I use Woolight.
Put a towel on your switch panels to protect them from any
water.
Mix up some Woolight in warm water .
Use a sponge to clean the panel.A soft bristle toothbrush
is also helpful to get into the micro dot material.
After a good cleaning,just blot with a lint free towel and let dry.
You will have a EVEN finish on your door panels.Woolight has
a bit of a softener/lubricant that gives a residue free finish.
For other parts of your interior,best to use is Autoglym rubber&plastic
cleaner finisher.This stuff is just fantastic!NO oily finish like Armoral type
products.Hard as hell,lasts a long time.Good for exterior and engine parts too!

Last edited by JCITY; 04-08-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:28 AM
SirSpeedyZ

I always use 303 aerospace protectant on my door panels with no problems

I use it on all my interior
Old 04-08-2012, 06:05 AM
white boy

Originally Posted by SirSpeedyZ
I always use 303 aerospace protectant on my door panels with no problems

I use it on all my interior
good to know
Old 04-08-2012, 08:08 AM
CannMann21

Thanks for all the help so far. I found the auto detailing guide on detailed image and I definately want to do a wash, claybar, polish and wax. I just need to pick up some products and find a free day. SirSpeedyZ, Ill create a thread in the new owners section once I give it a nice cleaning
Old 04-08-2012, 09:21 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You have been a member for 12 months. All these subjects are well covered here.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:02 AM
CannMann21

Originally Posted by davidv

You have been a member for 12 months. All these subjects are well covered here.
I joined because I orignally wanted a 350z but then I hung out on g35 driver for the longest time. I was planning on getting one, but ended up with a 350z instead. So now im back here
Old 04-08-2012, 12:26 PM
morphiusrt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like all products by chemical guys.

Do yourself a favor and go to www.detailedimage.com
Old 04-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by CannMann21
Hey guys,
Just picked up my Z a few days ago. However, it needs a really good wash on the exterior. What did you guys do as soon as you brought the car home. I think the dealer washed it with a brush because it has some swirly marks on it

1) What do you guys use to shampoo your mats?

2) I used some armor all on the door panels, but because of the material it is made of, it kinda sinked through? Its hard to explain, but it probably dryed from now. Anything specific to use on these instead of (enter brand name) interior cleaner?

3) Like I said, car has some swirly scratch marks and the paint is kind of dull. I want to give it a real good wash and wax, but what else could I do? paint color is black.

4) What to use for the stock exhaust tips? I need to make them shiny again!

5) Is it possible to buff foggy headlights at home? Or do I have to bring them to a detailer?
I'd be happy to help and don't forget we offer 10% off to forum members with the code 10off350z.

1. The 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover is what I use on carpets, fabrics, etc. Spray it on and 1 - 2 minutes later agitate the carpet with a scrub brush. If you want added cleaning cleaning power dip your scrub brush in a tray of hot water.

2. That does not sound normal, I usually don't use the Armor All dressings because of the greasy feeling. I clean the interior with the same product listed above. I use it on not only the fabrics, but also the doors, console, arm rest, etc. It leaves no greasy feeling behind and it's highly effective at removing dust, dirt, oils, etc. For protection the 303 Aerospace Protectant is an outstanding choice. It provides some of the best UV protection and the surface looks darker without the excessive gloss.

The Einszett 1Z Cockpit Premium is a great all in one product if you want a cleaner and protectant in one but it does not clean fabrics.

3. Washes and waxes will most likely not fix the issue described. Waxes only enhance the way the surface already looks like so if you want to clean and correct it you'll want to clay and polish it.

After washing and drying a clay bar is used to deep clean the surface. The DI Accessories Gentle Fine Grade Clay will help you safely use a clay bar and thoroughly clean the surface.

If you only want to do a one step polishing process the Klasse All In One (AIO) is a great choice. This is a polish and sealant in one bottle that works extremely well.

If you need more serious correction I'd suggest a two step process with a buffer (DI Packages PC 7424XP with M105, M205 and 5.5" pads). This type of kit will help restore a deep shine and that crystal clear clear coat again.

After polishing you can apply your favorite sealant or wax.

The detailing guide can help you with each step of this process and I'd be happy to help with any other questions you have.

4. The Optimum Metal Polish is a great way to clean and protect your exhaust tips. Apply a few drops on a cloth or applicator and buff it on with light to medium pressure and wipe away the excess residue.

5. You can definitely do this yourself it's actually pretty easy. I'd suggest a light polish like the Meguiar's M205 or PlastX and then move up to the M105. This can be done but often times a buffer is a big help when it's more noticeable. If you go to our Ask a Pro Blog we have several posts about restoring headlights.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Greg @ DI
Old 04-16-2012, 12:53 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Originally Posted by CannMann21
Thanks for all the help so far. I found the auto detailing guide on detailed image and I definately want to do a wash, claybar, polish and wax. I just need to pick up some products and find a free day. SirSpeedyZ, Ill create a thread in the new owners section once I give it a nice cleaning
nice, I'll be fixing up my 95 civic (DD) to sell as soon as school'l out and great a thread, it'll take some serious work