Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Zaino Purist - no bashing please

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 02:05 PM
bhobson333

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by HotRodGuy
NO one is saying that Zaino is not a good product, you are getting to defensive.
You're right, I was getting defensive; I tried to soften it with a little humor, the funny rant symbols, etc. The reason I did it is to make the point that there really aren't a huge amount of steps to Zaino like people try to say. Most of the Zaino "steps" are recommendations for what you should do for any good polish/sealant.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:42 PM
HotRodGuy

Originally posted by bhobson333
You're right, I was getting defensive; I tried to soften it with a little humor, the funny rant symbols, etc. The reason I did it is to make the point that there really aren't a huge amount of steps to Zaino like people try to say. Most of the Zaino "steps" are recommendations for what you should do for any good polish/sealant.
very true, I think most of it relates to the people that are putting on coat after coat after coat. I've got a buddy that sat one weekend and put 12 coats of Z2 and Z5 on. I couldn't believe it.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:23 PM
bhobson333

I've got a buddy that sat one weekend and put 12 coats of Z2 and Z5 on. I couldn't believe it.
So how did it look when he was done?
Old 07-27-2004, 06:29 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Once and for all, you DO NOT HAVE TO PUT ANY MORE THAN ONE LAYER OF ZAINO on if you don't want to. You do not HAVE to layer it at all!

Most of us CHOSE to do it but you don't HAVE TO! One layer of Zaino is is just as good as any of the products you are mentioning.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:41 PM
HotRodGuy

So how did it look when he was done?

great, as I said, i've never said anything other then Zaino is a terrific wax
Old 07-27-2004, 06:46 PM
HotRodGuy

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Once and for all, you DO NOT HAVE TO PUT ANY MORE THAN ONE LAYER OF ZAINO on if you don't want to. You do not HAVE to layer it at all!

Most of us CHOSE to do it but you don't HAVE TO! One layer of Zaino is is just as good as any of the products you are mentioning.

no one has stated otherwise, don't be so defensive

however though, had you read carefully we stated w/ the steps you would normally do zaino Z1 - Z2 - Z5 you'd get more work done w/ an abrasive polish followed by a glaze and topped w/ a wax. And in that case you'd actually REMOVE instead of HIDE

We'll see how zaino goes on top of these products soon enough

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 07-27-2004 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:13 PM
bhobson333

you'd get more work done w/ an abrasive polish followed by a glaze and topped w/ a wax.
You said the magic/poison word - wax. I will never again use a wax on my car. Wax melts right off your car in the summer sun. As far as I'm concerned, waxes are only used by the ignorant and by those who have no interest in durability of protection. If you have no interest in durability of protection you can find a lot of products (including a mixture of kerosene and water) that will make your car shine like crazy.

That's an inflammatory statement, I agree. There are probably a lot of people who don't care that the shine is only good for a week. Professional detailers, for example, show car people, the independantly wealthy, people who will wax their car at least every week no matter what.... Anyway, I'm not in that class.

We'll see how zaino goes on top of these products soon enough
I wouldn't be too swayed by any results about how Zaino "goes on top of" any product. Zaino, by design and by documentation, is intended to be applied to bare paint. (Hence the whole Dawn , claybar thing). Any other application may be interesting but is not in any way definitive or "supported".

Last edited by bhobson333; 07-27-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:11 PM
HotRodGuy

Synthetic Polymer Sealent/Wax, you knew what I meant.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:14 PM
HotRodGuy

I wouldn't be too swayed by any results about how Zaino "goes on top of" any product. Zaino, by design and by documentation, is intended to be applied to bare paint. (Hence the whole Dawn , claybar thing). Any other application may be interesting but is not in any way definitive or "supported".
It was always my understanding (and from what i've read on various boards and in different reports) that the whole dawn and claybar thing was to give you a clean prepped surface to work with, as you should do w/ any proper paint care. Their are plenty of people who have had success putting zaino as a topper on other products. I'll find out personally soon enough.

Clay bar alone should be enough to remove wax, making the dawn almost moot, but that is then later covered when you polish and the remainder wax is removed.

There also has to come a time where 13 coats of Zaino becomes excessive and you start getting deminishing returns and you are just wasting product.

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 07-27-2004 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:47 PM
HotRodGuy

and only the first layer of zaino is applied to bare paint, every coat you put on top is going on an already existing coat. Zaino isn't different from the other sealents out there and should bond to anything as long as it's properly prepped and cleaned unless there is something I don't know.

As I've stated ALL along, Zaino is an AWESOME product that I've used and will use again in the future. But right now there are some things I like just as much, such as NXT. You zaino guys are always wanting to start the argument that it's not possible their are different, maybe even better ways to attack something. Each and everyone has it's purpose.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:35 PM
mrZeee

Most of the Zaino "steps" are recommendations for what you should do for any good polish/sealant.
Zaino is a polish??? sealant yes..polish in the true sense?? I'm not too sure...as stated - Zaino I'm sure a great product - well know for its durability - great shine (shines soo nice it makes Bonz's shadows turn blue )...but there are the "steps"

1. Wash w/ Dawn.
2. Mist w/ Z-6.
3. Layer of Z-5.
4. Mist w/ Z-6.
5. Layer of Z-5.
6. Mist w/ Z-6.
7. Layer of Z-2.
8. Mist w/ Z-6.

1) Washed with Z7
2) Using dilute Z7 as a lubricant, I then clayed the car.
3) Rinsed and washed again with the Z7
4) Dried car
5) One coat of Z6, even Z6'ed the windows (only the outside). Worked really well.
6) One coat of Z5 with ZFX added
7) Buffed off Z5
8) Another Z6 layer
9) One coat Z2
10) Buffed off Z2
11) Another Z6 layer
12) Another coat Z2
13) Buffed off Z2
14) One last coat Z6

1) Dawn
2) Z-18 Claybar
3) Z-7 Carwash
4) Z-5
5) Z-6
6) Z-2
7) Z-6

1 Wash with Dawn
2 Dry
3 Clay bar with Zaino lube
4 Wash with Zaino wash
5 Dry
6 Mix ZFX with Z2 (filled Z2 to about half the little ZFX bottle supplied with 5-7 drops of ZFX)
7 Applied Z2 with Zaino applicator
8 Let dry about 30 minutes
9 Take off with 100% cotton terry cloth towel
10 Apply Z6, take off with 100% cotton towel

thats a list of "steps" quoted from Bonz and others
these were only a few that I could find...and again this is all just masking swirls (which we all have) not correcting/"polishing out" swirls...

I'm not afraid to do some "steps" myself:
1. wash
2. clay
3. wash
4. polish
5. seal

and this doesn't even cover the topic of cost!
Old 07-28-2004, 03:17 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

no one has stated otherwise, don't be so defensive
I'm sorry, but that is EXACTLY what you and Mr. Zee are stating!

He listed MY protocol for Zaino. Again, that is ME! You don't HAVE to do all that. You can do ONE LAYER and get a better result than with any of the products you are mentioning and doing more "steps" while you do them.

Hey Zee, you can make fun of my pictures all you want but I would put my car up against yours ANY day and let 100 people tell us whose they think looks better and I could pretty much guarentee a victory.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:15 AM
HotRodGuy

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
I'm sorry, but that is EXACTLY what you and Mr. Zee are stating!

no it's not I've stated in this thread that the normal procedure is Z1-Z2-Z5 but MOST people put more then one coat of Z2 and Z5 on.

And as I stated before, I'm gonna do a side by side comparison w/ Z in a few weeks, I'll post some results. There you go just getting defensive again, as i've never stated anything other then Zaino is an excellent product You zaino guys are like mustang owners
Old 07-28-2004, 05:17 AM
HotRodGuy

and we can compare if you want, my car does shine pretty good

it's a shame my comp crashed and I lost the reflection picks. BUt just remember this, if you do it my way you actually remove the imperfections and don't hide them
Old 07-28-2004, 05:23 AM
HotRodGuy

and have you tried any of the other products i've mentioned, have you seen how a car put on w/ megs #83, followed by #80 and then topped w/ NXT looks? I'm not saying it's the best or anything, but you are so quick to put down any other type of method and i'm sure you haven't even tried it.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

it's a shame my comp crashed and I lost the reflection picks. BUt just remember this, if you do it my way you actually remove the imperfections and don't hide them [/B]
If you protect your paint with Zaino from day one before you GET any imperfections, then you have no worries!

Nice hot rod, HotRod. From the back, it looks like a Hearse!

You keep referring to Z-1. As far as Zaino goes, that is really old technology. I don't think that many Zaino-ites use it at all anymore.

All, I'm saying is that you can do all the prep steps (Dawn, clay etc) which, I'm sure you'll agree are universal to ANY product for a good result, and then just do ONE LAYER of Z-2 with ZFX added to it (note, this is only one step not two) and you will have a fantastic looking car that is covered by a product that is unequalled in protection and durability.

Man, how's that for a run on sentence!
Old 07-28-2004, 09:32 AM
mrZeee

Bonz...those weren't just your protocols/steps that I "quoted" (although I do believe you do recomend all those steps!)...and anyone that has "waxed" their car 70 plus times should have a shiny car...they just don't need to alter color settings to show it!
Old 07-28-2004, 09:34 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

and have you tried any of the other products i've mentioned, have you seen how a car put on w/ megs #83, followed by #80 and then topped w/ NXT looks? I'm not saying it's the best or anything, but you are so quick to put down any other type of method and i'm sure you haven't even tried it.
I have not "put down" ANYTHING!

You mentioned (or someone did, I've lost track in all this mess) that your way is just as good or better than Zaino because it was less work or less steps. I simply disagreed. I didn't "put down" your method at all. You car looks great. No argument there
Old 07-28-2004, 09:36 AM
mrZeee

dawn should be used for dishes...
Old 07-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Originally posted by mrZeee
Bonz...those weren't just your protocols/steps that I "quoted" (although I do believe you do recomend all those steps!)...and anyone that has "waxed" their car 70 plus times should have a shiny car...they just don't need to alter color settings to show it!
Again, with or without "altering color setting". In the sun or in the rain. In the day or in the night. In the snow or in the fog. My car will out shine yours. My car will be protected better than yours. My car will have "product" on it longer than yours. My car will bead water longer (and better) than yours. Any other questions or comments?

Remember, you started this by ridiculing my pictures.

Quick Reply: Zaino Purist - no bashing please