Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Zaino Purist - no bashing please

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 10:11 AM
mrZeee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino Purist - no bashing please

ok......I've signed on board to the whole meguiars NXT package - protectant, tech wax, & booster...used the protectant...so far so good...now I'm moving onto tech wax...and since the New England winter was kinda bad....I would like to prep the paint with out claying...now can I /should I use the meguairs cleaning wax to prep? planned steps:

1. wash (simple green or dawn? I've heard dawn is very harsh )
2. meguiars cleaner wax (thinking this step will help polish and prep paint)
3a. wash again (use dawn/simple green to remove any wax residue)? OR
3b. wash again (use meguairs soap to keep the wax as an extra layer of protection)?
4. NXT tech wax
5. NXT booster right away (or wait?)

didn't mean to offend you Zaino guys...but I've already got all this meguiars stuff so I'm not going thru all the Z2-Z10 steps..even tho this is quite a few steps as well...any help would be great....
Old 04-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Kevin V

No offense, everyone should try different products to see what they like best, BUT, there is not Z-2 thru Z-10 or whatever steps, they are different products, not steps. There are no more steps to Zaino than anything else. Wash, dry, apply, remove, done.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything can make your car shiny. I could rub bacon grease on my car and it will shine like all hell.

Durability is where Zaino stands head and shoulders above the others, including Meguires.

BTW, Zaino is pretty good in the SHINE department as well!
Old 04-06-2004, 08:50 PM
cpoe52

Default Re: Zaino Purist - no bashing please

Originally posted by mrZeee
ok......I've signed on board to the whole meguiars NXT package - protectant, tech wax, & booster...used the protectant...so far so good...now I'm moving onto tech wax...and since the New England winter was kinda bad....I would like to prep the paint with out claying...now can I /should I use the meguairs cleaning wax to prep? planned steps:

1. wash (simple green or dawn? I've heard dawn is very harsh )
2. meguiars cleaner wax (thinking this step will help polish and prep paint)
3a. wash again (use dawn/simple green to remove any wax residue)? OR
3b. wash again (use meguairs soap to keep the wax as an extra layer of protection)?
4. NXT tech wax
5. NXT booster right away (or wait?)

didn't mean to offend you Zaino guys...but I've already got all this meguiars stuff so I'm not going thru all the Z2-Z10 steps..even tho this is quite a few steps as well...any help would be great....
The first application of Zaino products takes some time.
However, it is WELL worth the money and effort!

I have about 10 coats of Z2 & Z6 on my car.
I have parked next to new Z's on the Nissan lot and mine has a glass shine. It looks a lot better and it is 14 months old!

Seeing is believing!
Old 04-06-2004, 09:12 PM
mrZeee

alrighty then...when does this section of the board get changed from detailing to Zanio'ing...I'm sure Zaino is really great...my intentions again where not offend the Zainophiles...but there are other products out here..and I'm experimenting with a new product from a fairly reputable manufacture...but my concerns are with using cleaner wax instead of claying and dawn over simple green (dawn I've read is very high in the ph scale, which could cause problems?)
Old 04-06-2004, 09:29 PM
2003z

I am a recent Zaino convert, but that notwithstanding, I still recommend claying before any new polish/wax/poolymer combo. It doesn';t take much more than an hour or so and makes a world of difference. the car will still look good if you don't, but will look much better if you do.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:02 PM
mrZeee

egads...my intentions are not to claybar or use Zaino....frig it I'll blaze my own trail...
Old 04-07-2004, 02:53 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

OUR intentions are to help you do the right thing to get the best result. If you are going to ask for advice and then not take it (or at least consider or acknowledge it), why ask in the first place?

"My intensions are to take a belt sander to my car, what do you all think?"

I don't think you should do that! Maybe you should try this instead?

"Well I can see no one wants to help me! I'll blaze my own trail here then I guess!"
Old 04-07-2004, 05:06 AM
BillR

"Cleaner wax" is misleading. It doesn't "clean" your surface. What it usually does is remove other waxes that you may have applied so that you have the proper surface for the new wax to adhere to.
By using Dawn, you have removed old wax.

If you want to "clean" your surface, use a claybar after / during washing with Dawn. Your end results will be MUCH better.

BTW: Belt sander is um, NOT recommended.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:43 AM
mrZeee

yes beltsanding and bacon grease, bonz..and use some Zaino...thanks for the advice...
Old 04-11-2004, 06:05 AM
mrZeee

hmmm...I used NXT and my car didn't require any more bacon grease to shine...but this NXT stuff is purrty shiny stuff..(and easy to apply)...it was a particularly sunny day (which we haven't seen in NE for some time) but the reflection of the sun off of my Z was pretty blinding...durability may not be factor for me since I cover my car daily..I plan on using the booster next...but I will keep ya posted......
Old 04-18-2004, 08:39 AM
mrZeee

ok...I've now tried the NXT booster...just seems to be a bit thinner version of the wax..good results....BUT whatever you do... DO NOT apply it too "thick"...it was harder than the wax to remove...my equation of seems thinner so apply thicker did not work...but I did like the results...trying to find the NXT carwash in my area...no luck as of yet... anybody else try the carwash??
Old 04-18-2004, 09:39 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

durability may not be factor for me since I cover my car daily.
Do you cover your car when you drive it? That is where the durability issue comes into play.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:13 PM
mrZeee

no but I only drive on rainless...snowless days...so hence durability should not be an issue...I don't even your preciuos Zaino can protect from regular road hazards...but thanks anyway Doc...
Old 04-18-2004, 05:14 PM
mb27

I've been using Zaino for the longest time and it's durability is great. It keeps the surface very slick so dirt and grime wipe off very easily.
One month ago I repolished the clearcoat with menzrna's polishes and used NXT. Today I'm finding dirt does not wash off nearly as easily with NXT on the car. The water doesn't bead very well now either. NXT does make my black z look very good and does a much better job at filling in swirls than Z5, but I'm going back to Z5 just to get that nice slick surface back.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:38 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I put NXT on my 91 Black Syclone a week ago. Not as easy off as advertised, but maybe it is just due to the old paint. Shine was OK, but had to buff a lot and use some detail spray to get it all off (saw haze when I backed the truck out of the garage). I'm not sure about durability obviously, and the truck is pretty much an 18,000 mile garage queen so I doubt I'll be able to comment on it.

I'll just say this, my Z will continue to get Zaino. My 98 GTP is a toss up at this point as to what it will get, but it has been getting Zaino for about 4 years now. Since it is the stepchild car left outside, it might just get the cheap stuff, but I doubt it.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:14 PM
mrZeee

ok hear come the haters...I don't think my "claims" have been to discredit zaino...just to acknowledge - #1 there are other reputable products other than zaino - #2 for the price & ease of access NXT is pretty decent stuff - #3 that the stuff is very easy to use - #4
Not as easy off as advertised, but maybe it is just due to the old paint
hopefully it was because it was old paint - if not, try hitting the gym..the stuff is the easiest I ever used to take off

again Zaino maybe the greatest stuff around but its not the ONLY stuff around
Old 04-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Bobby C 01TA

u are right.. there are other products out there.. zaino is very easy to put on and take off if applied in thin coats..thus making the 14 bucks or so for the bottle worth the money because u are spending just as much on other products..amount to money

Zaino can be applied in direct sunlight also.. i dont see other manufactures claiming that.. they say on a dry cool shaded area.

U use what ya like... some people like turtle wax and dont ever want to change because they like it lol but thats all fine and dandy.. no one is trying to convert you..they just inform you through experience. Also Zaino is a 2 step process leading to a 1 step process after a one-time 2 step process lol.. Good luck!

I use Gold class on the MR2 and my moms car and i'm satisfied with that.. I finished up the GC and now I am using NXT for the other cars.. it works great! Easy to get off and all but nowhere near as durable as Zaino.. and also bugs and bird crap etc come off easier when u have multiple zaino coats

Last edited by Bobby C 01TA; 04-21-2004 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:42 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by mrZeee
hopefully it was because it was old paint - if not, try hitting the gym..the stuff is the easiest I ever used to take off
Respectfully, you aren't using it on black. It wasn't obvious that there was a haze until it was under the right light. I'm not an idiot or a weakling. I just know a difference when I see it between two products.

I've used a lot of stuff over the years, including a lot of polymer stuff. Liquid Glass and Zaino definitely come off easier.

You keep talking about "haters". I've used both products and just thought I'd share my experience. Until you've used both, you can't comment from experience on the difference between the two.

Seems like you just want to argue.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:21 AM
mrZeee

Easy to get off and all but nowhere near as durable as Zaino.. and also bugs and bird crap etc come off easier when u have multiple zaino coats
will the same be true with multiple coats of NXT?? I only have wax and booster so far...and the spring time bug splatters were a breeze to wash off

I've used both products and just thought I'd share my experience. Until you've used both, you can't comment from experience on the difference between the two.
my whole point is that I didn't want to use Zaino..but I got tons of advise on using zaino...

Quick Reply: Zaino Purist - no bashing please