Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Zaino Purist - no bashing please

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 10:09 AM
mrZeee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL...aww Bonz...wasn't making fun of your pics..I've said your car looks great...but some people may think some of the picture effects could be due to your multi layers vs good old photoshop
Old 07-28-2004, 01:47 PM
HotRodGuy

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
If you protect your paint with Zaino from day one before you GET any imperfections, then you have no worries!

Nice hot rod, HotRod. From the back, it looks like a Hearse!

You keep referring to Z-1. As far as Zaino goes, that is really old technology. I don't think that many Zaino-ites use it at all anymore.

All, I'm saying is that you can do all the prep steps (Dawn, clay etc) which, I'm sure you'll agree are universal to ANY product for a good result, and then just do ONE LAYER of Z-2 with ZFX added to it (note, this is only one step not two) and you will have a fantastic looking car that is covered by a product that is unequalled in protection and durability.

Man, how's that for a run on sentence!

again, you aren't listening to me, i'm not saying anything otherwise
Old 07-28-2004, 01:50 PM
HotRodGuy

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
I have not "put down" ANYTHING!

You mentioned (or someone did, I've lost track in all this mess) that your way is just as good or better than Zaino because it was less work or less steps. I simply disagreed. I didn't "put down" your method at all. You car looks great. No argument there

again, you aren't reading what i'm saying. What i've stated from the beginning that w/ the same effort as you put in w/ the Z you could actually be using other products that REMOVE imperfections and don't hide them. I haven't said ANYTHING but good things about zaino in this thread, other then the fact it doesn't remove imperfections which is an obvious.

And as far as protection goes, sounds like you ad a new layer atleast every month, so what's the point of it lasting a long time.

btw, There comes a point where all you are doing by adding more layers is trapping dirt between layers.

As far as shine goes, that's subjective as everyone wants different shines from different products, some want it like glass, some want some depth and warmth, etc.

Thanks for the comps on the car, your Z is the hottness
Old 07-28-2004, 01:52 PM
HotRodGuy

btw, have you tried NXT? What are your thoughts?
Old 07-28-2004, 02:20 PM
HotRodGuy

here's an interesting thread I just came across Doc, it's an interesting read.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=41724
Old 07-28-2004, 06:51 PM
bhobson333

Originally posted by HotRodGuy here's an interesting thread I just came across Doc, it's an interesting read.
One word: propaganda

They strongly imply there that the Zaino is responsible for the swirls. Keep in mind, it's a Meguiars web site. Sal oughta sue, but that's really not his style.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:56 PM
HotRodGuy

Originally posted by bhobson333
One word: propaganda

They strongly imply there that the Zaino is responsible for the swirls. Keep in mind, it's a Meguiars web site. Sal oughta sue, but that's really not his style.

no where do they imply that zaino created the swirls that I can see. Sal oughta sue for what I haven't gone through the meguiars thread yet and am right now but it's pretty clear in the autopia thread that all of us know the swirls are UNDERNEATH the zaino

I know mike personally, he's not one to lie or exaggerate on things. He's very honest and he and I had a long talk about zaino a few weeks ago and he didn't bash it at all

What makes it tough for him is he's a Meguiars employee so people think he's gonna be bias no matter what, and maybe he is, but I'll tell you he tries his best not to be. That's why he had the corvette owner do the car himself so people couldn't blame it all on his technique, etc.

He's very scientific about his views and has even written a book on polishing.

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 07-28-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:00 PM
HotRodGuy

one thing to think about is similiar to what I've been saying in this thread. This guy can completely clear off all the wax, do a full clay and then apply zaino the way we all apply it but the swirls will still be there. It will take an abbrasive polish to get them out

That's all i've been trying to get you guys to agree w/ me on this whole time. I've never said Zaino is not an awesome product, just there are other things that need to be addressed that zaino simply does not cover in the way "most" users are applying it. This seems to grasp it pretty well

Originally posted by Scott P
Actually, here at Autopia, most Zaino users do know that. They use all sorts of other swirls removers and polishes before applying Zaino. It's just the non-Autopian Zaino users that don't always grasp that point.

If you notice in that thread on autopia there are a lot of members who have success topping zaino on a properly polished and corrected surface.

I'll be w/ mike when he does the makeover w/ zaino and NXT next week on this car. I'll post my results. I should state that i'm not partial to any product, I like to try anything and everything I can get my hands on. I actually have two new things comming in the mail from friends, a sample of Blackfire and a sample of Rejex

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 07-28-2004 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:32 PM
bhobson333

Originally posted by HotRodGuy
no where do they imply that zaino created the swirls that I can see. Sal oughta sue for what I haven't gone through the meguiars thread yet and am right now but it's pretty clear in the autopia thread that all of us know the swirls are UNDERNEATH the zaino
OK, I went straight to the Meguiars thread, that's what I was talking about. He shows this swirled-as-hell hood and says "this has 12 coats of Zaino!". You can put the best thing in the world on a swirled hood, or put the best thing in the world on and then maintain with cheap dirty towels, and it will look like crap. IMHO the Meguiars thread doesn't even approach "fair and unbiased".

I think we all agree that if you have serious swirls you should use abrasives before you apply any sealant/polish. Even those that claim to hide swirls only work on light micro-swirls.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:18 PM
HotRodGuy

exactly

W/ the normal "steps" most people applying zaino are doing, I'd personally rather remove imperfections as opposed to just filling them up As I've stated before, I'm still not sure what got you guys argueing w/ me
Old 07-29-2004, 03:51 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Hot Rod, I think guys like bhobson333 and I know what you are saying and I agree with you. What I am saying is that I don't have really bad swirls since I started out with Zaino and I am EXTREMELY careful. The ones I do have are minor and are filled nicely with Z-5. Overall though, I agree with you.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:25 AM
bhobson333

Originally posted by HotRodGuy
W/ the normal "steps" most people applying zaino are doing, I'd personally rather remove imperfections as opposed to just filling them up As I've stated before, I'm still not sure what got you guys argueing w/ me
I'm not trying to start it again, but this post illustrates exactly what got this "argument" fired up. Look at it carefully. Your post above demonstrates that you hold two attitudes that we disagree with:

1) Zaino requires a lot of steps: a lot of people use a lot of interesting techniques, layering, etc to try to optimize the Zaino shine. Zaino lends itself well to experimentation, but we do it for fun. It's not required. If you want it to be, Zaino can be as simple as "wax-a on, wax-a off" with beautiful results.

2) The only reason to use Zaino is to fill imperfections: I'm not sure why, but you have shown this attitide in several posts, as if Zaino is marketed primarily as a scratch-remover. I don't really have any imperfections in my paint to speak of, I didn't even let the dealer wash my car before I took it home and applied Zaino. I do think it's nice that Zaino offers Z5 to fill the inevitable microswirls, but that's not why I use it. I use it for the shine and protection.

Do you understand better now why we reacted? (BTW: this isn't an argument, it's a discussion )
Old 07-29-2004, 05:04 AM
KShep

HotRodGuy, or anyone who cares to respond...Zaino goes on my Z, just Zaino. It's Silverstone and though I know there are imperfections in the paint, they are very dificult to see. Z5 seems to fill them in well enough to keep me satisfied with the overall appearance of the car. I have been very satisfied with all Zaino products. (shameless plug, as if this thread needed it)

That said, were a defect to apprear that I wanted to polish out/remove...what would be the best method/product. Hand buff or machine? I've got a PC but only use it on my truck 'cause it's BIG. I'm detailing the truck this weekend and was looking for something new to test...been using Griots Best of Show wax...but supply is depleted. The truck is a much darker color.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:07 AM
HotRodGuy

you guys are still funny. As I've stated many many times in this thread. Zaino is nothing short of being a great product. EVERY situation has it's own way of attacking it.

and as far as the steps, as i've acknowledged you can just do one layer, but that's not how MOST do it.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:09 AM
HotRodGuy

KShep, give NXT a try, i'd be interested in hearing your results.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:14 PM
bhobson333

Originally posted by KShep
HotRodGuy, or anyone who cares to respond... were a defect to apprear that I wanted to polish out/remove...what would be the best method/product. Hand buff or machine? I've got a PC but only use it on my truck 'cause it's BIG. I'm detailing the truck this weekend and was looking for something new to test...been using Griots Best of Show wax...but supply is depleted. The truck is a much darker color.
HotRodGuy didn't seem to understand that you were asking his advice. I'm not sure he ever got the fact that, based on his posts, we really respect his experience and opinions.

I'm not qualified to answer your question. I suggest you take it to the detailer's forum, autopia.org
Old 07-30-2004, 04:42 AM
KShep

Thanks bhobson333, will do. I'm uncomfortable using polishes or abrasives. Thankfully I have a truck and can practice the products and techniques required for damage free (hopefully) results. I'm starting to think the main ingredient is patience, and that I can deal with.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:17 AM
HotRodGuy

sorry shep. I like you was very nervous using abbrassives, but w/ the PC it's a no brainer. Start w/ less and work your way up. I really suggest trying meguiars #80 speed glaze w/ a polishing pad (NOT CUTTING) on your car. It works wonders and is one of my favorite products in my arsenol right now. If that doesn't clear it up try #83 DACP