Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Suggestions regarding swirls on SB Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 07:13 AM
mesulli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions regarding swirls on SB Please

Background info: When I purchased the car new from the dealer there was a small scratch on the bumper, so I brought it back and they fixed it (well sort of). The scratch is gone, but when light hits the bumper you can see swirl marks and marks left from the circular motion of a bumper. So I left my Z with the dealer again for them to fix it, but it looks the same.

I would like to get rid of these swirl marks and buffer marks, but don't want the dealer to touch the car again.

Can anybody suggest a way to accomplish this? Z-5 or 3M swirl mark remover perhaps?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:21 AM
barrybell

I use the 3M swirler remover, with great results. I wash the area and while it is still wet I use the 3M remover.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:31 AM
mesulli

barrybell:

Can you please provide more details as to how you apply the 3M?

Also isn't the 3M abrasive, so if I didn't apply it correctly, I could potentially do more harm than good?
Old 04-07-2004, 07:51 AM
barrybell

The 3M is the same as 15000 grit sand paper (very little abrasion), Wash the area with car soap (walmart or kmart have a good selection of car wash soap), rinse with cold water until all soap is gone. Keep a bucket of clean cold water on hand (this is used to keep the area wet while you use the 3M). Take a penny size of 3M and put it on a clean (new is perferred) polish applicator with the area wet rotate light pressure the applicator in an egg shape circle do this for a minute then stop and use more clean water to dampen the area again, repeat the same again with a new 3M sample on applicator, repeat this as many times needed. I have no idea how deep the scatches are, but the ones on my car were superfiscal and they vanished using this method.

"3M Swirl Mark Remover" is what I used.

Good Luck

Last edited by barrybell; 04-07-2004 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:13 AM
mesulli

Default Great Response! Thanks!

Thanks for your help. Just a few more questions:

1. Where did you get the 3M?

2. If I want to Claybar as well, I would use the 3M after using a clay bar, correct?

3. After application of the 3M, would I want to polish with Z2 or Z5?

Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:39 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would 3m before the claybar. it may or may not leave dirt behind, in either case you want that gone.

on the other hand you want that dirt gone before too, cause that pad will grind a peice of dirt into your paint. that will suck. so be sure to clean it REALLY well before. and clay bar after. if you have lots of time, claybar before and after. but that might be overkill.

they sell it at pepboys I know. probably autozone and other car places. possibly even walmart.

I would use Z5. this is a personal preference, but with SB you need all you can to fight off swirl marks. its a never ending battle. and I think the Z5 gives a deeper shine to the black.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Jsn350Z

It is all about the Porter Cable Random Orbital.. This hsould have been the first thing that I ever bought for my car.

Made NIGHT and DAY differance! I had a bit of a swirl problem, which is why I got the buffer.

Soo I do half of one door just to see what the difference is.. I pull it out in the direct sun light, got out to go look, and was AMAZED. The area I did was a whole different ( darker ) shade of black. It looked as if the car had just came out of the spray booth. Looked better then when I picked it up brand new. Only very very very few swirls. I had my GF and our friend come take a look and they thought that there was a shadow resting on the spot that I had done

I LOVE my Porter Cable 7424!!

BTW, I use Blue Coral Product X ( NOT abrasive ). It is a swirl filler/polish. If enough layers are built up, it will act as a wax as well and does have sun protectants in it.

I recommend this buffer to ANYONE with a black car or anyone with swirl problems.

EDIT : That is Product X in my Avatar picture, but that was done by hand, the buffer is even better.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Kevin Overall

Default Re: Great Response! Thanks!

Originally posted by mesulli
Thanks for your help. Just a few more questions:

1. Where did you get the 3M?

NAPA part number 39009

2. If I want to Claybar as well, I would use the 3M after using a clay bar, correct?

Correct

3. After application of the 3M, would I want to polish with Z2 or Z5?

Z-5 and wash with Dawn first to remove the 3M oils

Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:29 AM
mesulli

Default Buffer

I would LOVE to buy a buffer, but have always been scared that I would mess up my paint.

The dealer left buffer marks on my car (semi circles on top of one another-don't know how to describe it better) and they probably use buffers all day long. Essentially, I would be trying to get rid of something caused by a buffer with a buffer with less experience than the person who caused the buffer marks in the first place!

Or can somebody tell me how to avoid making the same mistake the dealer made? Thanks!

You can of course use the 3M with the buffer right? What do buffers go for?

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
It is all about the Porter Cable Random Orbital.. This hsould have been the first thing that I ever bought for my car.

Made NIGHT and DAY differance! I had a bit of a swirl problem, which is why I got the buffer.

Soo I do half of one door just to see what the difference is.. I pull it out in the direct sun light, got out to go look, and was AMAZED. The area I did was a whole different ( darker ) shade of black. It looked as if the car had just came out of the spray booth. Looked better then when I picked it up brand new. Only very very very few swirls. I had my GF and our friend come take a look and they thought that there was a shadow resting on the spot that I had done

I LOVE my Porter Cable 7424!!

BTW, I use Blue Coral Product X ( NOT abrasive ). It is a swirl filler/polish. If enough layers are built up, it will act as a wax as well and does have sun protectants in it.

I recommend this buffer to ANYONE with a black car or anyone with swirl problems.

EDIT : That is Product X in my Avatar picture, but that was done by hand, the buffer is even better.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:37 AM
mesulli

Default Z5

I believe the consensus of this thread is to use Z5 on SB. So I would never want to use Z2, or just use it after several coats of Z5?
Old 04-07-2004, 11:22 AM
ranger5oh

There is a BIG difference in buffers. There are basically 2 types.

Rotary Buffers - Use a purely circular motion and are NOT to be used by ametuers. These types exert a torque on the paint and will do more harm than good if you dont know what you are doing. Easily burn through your paint.

Random Orbital Buffers - These tyoes use a completely random, non circular motion that exerts no torque on the surface paint. These can be used by ametuers and I highly reccommend them. Even applying significant force to the buffers, your risk is virtually zero that you will harm your paint. Basiccally, these are no brainers.

Hope this helps!

Andy.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by ranger5oh
There is a BIG difference in buffers. There are basically 2 types.

Rotary Buffers - Use a purely circular motion and are NOT to be used by ametuers. These types exert a torque on the paint and will do more harm than good if you dont know what you are doing. Easily burn through your paint.

Random Orbital Buffers - These tyoes use a completely random, non circular motion that exerts no torque on the surface paint. These can be used by ametuers and I highly reccommend them. Even applying significant force to the buffers, your risk is virtually zero that you will harm your paint. Basiccally, these are no brainers.

Hope this helps!

Andy.

Correct, and I will add the marks you talk about caused by the dealer where probably done with a rotary buffer and the exact fix for that is to correct them with an orbital buffer, the best one on the market is the Porter Cable model 7336. The only way you can ever damage your paint with the Porter Cable would be to drop the unit on the paint. Sells for 109.00 at Lowes........
Old 04-07-2004, 12:17 PM
SungNamZ

Default Re: Suggestions regarding swirls on SB Please

Originally posted by mesulli
Background info: When I purchased the car new from the dealer there was a small scratch on the bumper, so I brought it back and they fixed it (well sort of). The scratch is gone, but when light hits the bumper you can see swirl marks and marks left from the circular motion of a bumper. So I left my Z with the dealer again for them to fix it, but it looks the same.

I would like to get rid of these swirl marks and buffer marks, but don't want the dealer to touch the car again.

Can anybody suggest a way to accomplish this? Z-5 or 3M swirl mark remover perhaps?

Thanks for your help.
Z5 Z5 and More Z5
Old 05-02-2004, 10:35 AM
mesulli

Default ?

After applying 3M swirl mark remover should I wash the car before applying Zaino?
Old 05-02-2004, 10:46 AM
elbee

The 3M SMR isn't strong enough and has fillers so you won't be able to see if you've removed them completely.

Use Finesse-it compound #39003
Old 05-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Jsn350Z

I use Blue Coral Product X on my car every single time I wash it ( weekly ) and I swear you can barley see ANY swirls on my Z in direct sunlight. It is just a filler, not a remover. I have no clue about actually removing them.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:59 AM
s9am_me

hmmm.. i think i need to get an orbital too. swirls are annoying me. always been scared to mess up the paint but know after this thread.. i think i'm more confident now. is there anything around the $50 area? $100 for a buffer seems much too me. What do you guys think of Menzerma?? heard its great also
Old 05-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Jsn350Z

My Porter cable was $150. Sure it's a little steep, but it is the best money I have ever spent on my Z.

No reason to be affraid of messing up your paint with a random orbital. It's near impossible.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:17 AM
mofoz

you dont use your PC with zaino do you?
Old 05-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Jsn350Z

Nope. I use it with my Blue Coral Product X which I think I would die without. That is was is making my car swirl free. Gotta pick up some Blue coral revive it (wax polish, and I would use the buffer with this)

Those two products are the EASIEST in the world to deal with and make a NIGHT and DAY difference on the car ( Esspecially the product X ( polish / swirl filler )

You put a coat of Product X on one half of a panle, pull it out in the sun, and the difference is so huge you would think there is a shadow being casted over that half of the panle. WAY darker/wetter and gets rid of 90-95% of swirls. The the Revive it will just make it more durable (wax) because Product X alone is not.

I live by this stuff. My Z would look like hell without it. And I can not stand the look of swirl makrs, Product X saves me!

Dare I say it.. I don't like zaino

Quick Reply: Suggestions regarding swirls on SB Please