Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Dr Bonz Zaino Experiment II

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 07:40 PM
skimark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Work - you should change your name to Dr. Zaino.
Old 09-28-2002, 08:03 PM
bhobson333

OMG! Compare the before and after of the same view/angle! An amazing difference on a brand new car. And I can't believe the self-portrait! No wonder people say "it's like glass!"!!! I have the full Zaino kit in my garage and I can't wait to get my Z to use it on!

About the previous poster's comment about another product:

it is NOT a poly-sealent, so it is safe for your paint
Zaino IS a poly sealant, but I can't believe that it is harmful to your paint.

I was describing Zaino to a friend (my father) today and he told me about a poly sealant he had used that crackled after a year in the high-sun spots (top and top corners) and had to be stripped and started from scratch.

Has anyone else ever heard of this? Do we have any long-term Zaino users that can confirm that this won't happen?
Old 09-28-2002, 08:13 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure if all Poly sealers are "a like".

My father went to england to learn about the Autoglym products (got to test drive a 600 HP Austin Martin Vanquish as well, at the Factory). He tells me that the Autoglym guys were talking about how Americans are lazy and generally will sacrifice the car for convenience and time saving, they went on to talk about how we use "all-in-one" Poly-products that are very bad for your paint. They recommend using their product (super resin polish) every 1-3 months (depending on conditions) and that NO wax/polish that doesn't hurt your paint will last any longer (no matter what "safe wash/detergent" is being used).

This product doesn't sound like an "all-in-1" product, so perhaps it uses a "safer" poly???

btw, here is the website of autoglym

http://www.autoglym.com/index2.html
Old 09-28-2002, 08:14 PM
MacGuru

All I can say Doc is, WOW! That looks amazing. I can not wait to take my first try at using the Zaino myself. Great job! -m
Old 09-28-2002, 08:16 PM
rodH

btw, the best pic to tell the BEFORE and AFTER difference is the hood. In the 1st you can bearly make out the clouds in the sky, on the after it is like mirror, NICE work
Old 09-28-2002, 08:45 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Mini Me:
Doc, the picture of you taking a pic of the front bumper is incredible!

Beautiful job.

Boomer
Old 09-28-2002, 09:00 PM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

Beautiful Bonz.

If I'm ever reincarnated, I'm ordering a Track Brickyard!
Old 09-28-2002, 09:44 PM
Redfoot

"WOW" flipped back & forth from the before and after of the hood shot to detect lighting & angle differences and while there is a slight angle difference and a much more illumination on the after shot, the difference is awsome. You've sold me on this product. Great pics.
Thanks!
Old 09-28-2002, 09:46 PM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

Hey Bonz;

I was just reviewing (read: can't sleep) this thread. Is that your house in the background of pic 1? Is that a realtor lock box on the front door? How expensive is this Zaino anyway?
Old 09-28-2002, 10:37 PM
twinzz

Default wowza!

I just crapped a canoli, and I'm not even Italian!! That is AMAZINGGGGGG Doc. Nice to see how good Brickyard can look. My Z looks like your before pics, clean and dustfree but no shine or sheen. I'm ordering this stuff tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2002, 11:04 PM
NissaNZ

Hey DOC, how much did all the stuff you used cost all together?
Old 09-28-2002, 11:29 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Aw man that looks so cool, especially when the brickyard picks up the reflection from the sky.
Old 09-29-2002, 12:20 AM
spf4000

Dr. Bonz, you did a fantastic job! The pics are simply amazing. But I have one question. How come you started off washing with the Z7? I thought for the first application, they recommend that you wash with dawn to cut through any residue that is on the car. I wonder if Nissan applys any sort of protectant on the paint before it leaves the factory?
Old 09-29-2002, 07:48 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, let's see if I can remember all of the above questions:

Pointfivezero: Yes that is my house and that was one hell of a pickup on the realtor lock box. The house is for sale.

Twinzz: Well, I AM Italian, and I would much prefer a canoli going in the traditional way than coming out the way you mentioned........wait a minute, that didn't sound right....

NissaNZ: I have TONS of Zaino products from when I did this the first time on my Stealth. I used many more of them since it was an older car (1992). Take a look at this thread for THAT experiment:
Dr. Bonz Zaino Experiment I . I have purchased over $200.00 worth but it should last me better than a couple of years I'm sure. The one you'll use (and need) the most of is the Z-6.

The stuff I used on the Z (as I listed in the previous post in this current thread) would cost as follows:

Z-18 Claybar: $16.95 (you get two)
Z-7 Car Wash: $7.95 (16 oz)
Z-5 Polish for swirl marks: $16.95 (8 oz)
Z-6 Gloss Enhancer Spray $9.95 (16 oz)
Z-2 Show Car Polish: $12.95 (8 oz)
ZFX Accelerator: $19.95 (2 ml..you only use it by the drop)
Z-16 Tire Gloss: $12.95 (16 oz)

I also have (but didn't use on the Z) some Z-1 ($8.95 for 8 oz), Z-3, it's what you use instead of Z-2 on Non-clear coated cars (my Stealth) ($12.95, 8 oz), and some Z-14 Plastic cleaner ($12.95, 8 oz).

This stuff ain't cheap folks!

DrDrilZ: You had asked about the Z-1. After going over all of the products, now I remember why I didn't use it. You don't have to when you use the ZFX accelerator. It (ZFX) is used as a substitute.

spf4000: I didn't use the Dawn this time because I figured that since this is a new car, I didn't have to strip off any old wax. That is mainly why they recommend the Dawn. It is really tough on the car and shouldn't be used for any other reason but to strip off all the old stuff.

There, I think that was everyone.

Now get out there and ZAINO people!
Old 09-29-2002, 09:11 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Thumbs up

Absolutely gorgeous my man! Great work and color.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:37 PM
D'oh

Excellent Post Dr. B

I just spend the weekend Zainoing my '95 Ford Ranger so I can sell it (although you know what they say about polishing a turd), and the difference is amazing. I did a procedure very similar to the one you did. Here was mine:

1. Dawn Degergent Wash
2. Clay Bar with Z7 as lubricant (extremely important on a 7 year old truck with hard water stains)
3. Dawn Wash again (but a quickie)
4. Z2 w/ZFX (about 1 oz. per coat)
5. Z6
6. Z2 x/ZFX
7. Z6
8. Z2 w/ZFX
9. Z6

I would say the clay bar is the most important step. It's pretty easy to do and makes a huge difference. After claying my Truck, the paint felt smoother than the paint on my girlfriends Dakota (5 months old) and the paint on my Z (also a Brickyard, and only a week old).

I will be working on the GF's Truck next weekend, and my Z the week after. The Zaino treatment is really nice!

-D'oh!

PS. DR BONZ, how much of the Z2 do you go through per coat? I'm still not sure how much I should be putting on. Also, I see that you put a coat of Z6 between the wash and the first coat of Z2. Did that make a difference?

-D'oh!
Old 09-30-2002, 05:10 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Just going by the protocol handed down to me from the Gurus. It worked really well.

As for how much to apply, the Zaino guys say that if you think you are applying it too thin.....apply it even thinner! You really don't use very much at all.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:45 AM
Z&Jet-Pilot

It's a pity the lighting was not the same so one could really see the difference!

The after's were with great light, the befores with overcast light. Unfortunately that will make more difference in how something looks than all the Zaino in the world!

For example, here are two brand new CS cars at the a Nissan dealer ready for delivery. Because of the lighting, one looks like a show paint job and one looks rather dull! I'm sure if these two cars were photographed together they would look identical!

Not picking on any particular polish/wax treatment, but seeing photos of them will not really show us the true effect unless the before and after shots are very carefully controlled (such as in a photo studio).
Attached Thumbnails Dr Bonz Zaino Experiment II-twocspredelivery.jpg  
Old 09-30-2002, 07:06 AM
DUKE

Great job Bonz.

When you say buffed, you do mean hand buffed I'm assuming?
Do you have a link to "the old Zaino "Guru" on another board" you were referring to?

Looks like you are fast becoming a Zaino expert.
You may need to get a new business card: Have Zaino - Will Travel.

Quick Reply: Dr Bonz Zaino Experiment II