Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

my Zaino impression

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 07:00 AM
MarkY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BillR - have you tried Poorboy's EX-P or Wolfgang on red?
Old 04-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do we continue to apply Zaino.............BECAUSE IT IS THERE!
Old 04-28-2004, 11:38 AM
touring

Don't get me wrong, I love the results or shine but "because it is there" just doesn't justify the hard work and time spent. Putting on extra coats has to result in some tangible benefit. Atleast for me.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:13 PM
zcombat

I've used zaino before and i agree that it is a fine product but there are other products out there that is just as good or even better. Zaino does quite last longer than any other products i've tried but other products "looks" better IMO. I am currently using s100 SEC topped with s100 wax and and it looks better than zaino IMO. I've also tried meguiars NXT and prefer its look over zaino. Zaino is a really nice product but there are other products that is easier to use and will leave an excellent shine even better than zaino.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:59 PM
MarkY

Zcombat, I agree. Are you speaking of any particular color?
Different products "look" better on different colors.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Guys, the "other products" you say look better are not necessarily better for your car. As I said, carnauba is a hard yellow wax. In it's natural state it is of no value in car detailing. To use it, you must add SILICONE and silicone OIL.

You can shine your car with PLEDGE furniture wax and it'll shine like crazy but it contains silicone. Same with things like Armor All. It shines a lot but it is slimey and sticky. If you like this, then more power to you BUT consider this. Think of how that stickey furniture with Pledge or that tire with Armor All attract dirt and dust. These will cause you to lose your gloss REAL fast. Those particles are also not good to have on your car. They can cause scratches and swirls. The wax offers little protection from this.

Also, as I said before, Carnauba causes a subtle discoloration. If you have two cars of the same color side by side, the one covered in a carnauba wax will look a little different in color than one done in Zaino which will show the ACTUAL color of the paint. Again, if you don't mind this.....go for it.

Zaino avoids all of this. It shines VERY well, it offers unequaled protection and durability and despite what some have said, is EASY to use.
Attached Thumbnails my Zaino impression-img_0215-copy.jpg  
Old 04-28-2004, 04:53 PM
MarkY

Go to any high end concours show, like Pebble Beach. Tell me how many of those cars have Zaino on them. Few, possibly zero.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:02 PM
TZUNAMI

Damn you bonz. Your Z is freaking beautiful. My SS is really nice too, and I would never trade it, as it is my favorite color, but you gotta hand it to "The Brick".

NICE!
Old 04-28-2004, 05:15 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally posted by MarkY
Go to any high end concours show, like Pebble Beach. Tell me how many of those cars have Zaino on them. Few, possibly zero.
Chances are those high-end show cars are also trailered to the shows, never sit in the sun and are never exposed to the elements. To compare the products that make them look so good to the products that our daily drivers require is not a fair comparison.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:49 AM
Zracer03

That's probably true. As previously stated, those cars are rarely driven or exposed to the elements. I will concede, there ARE a few products now that will nearly match Zaino's shine, and they are quick. However, they don't maintain that shine, or protect nearly as well as Zaino. Which makes them perfect for cars like those shows. Until I find something better, I stick with Zaino, and I try them all. Arguing with Bonz on this subject is pointless, you can't win Most of us agree. Find another car that even compares to his, and maybe people will listen.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

ZRacer03, I'll be at a conference up in your neck O' the woods this weekend. It is at the Cleveland Marriott Downtown at Key Center. I'd try and meet up with you but I'll be pretty busy at the conference. I won't be staying overnight since it's only about 90 miles away.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:28 AM
The Sopranos 16

I guess I'll throw in my .02 Ive used Zaino for years and I love the product. My favorite thing about it is its maintainability. After you wash a Zainoed car, the deep gloss spray makes it look just waxed, everytime. I could wash my car and wipe it down with the spray in about a half hour and it restores the gloss and slippery feel. IMO, this makes zaino much easier then other products since I would have to wax my car every week to achieve the same results. That being said, I have gotten similar results with Blackfire, which also has a spray and works well. Comparing the two, I would say that blackfire is slipperier and zaino is more durable. Right now, I have P21S on my Z, but I'm really missing the slippery feel a synthetic leaves so I'll likely switch back to Blackfire or Zaino in the near future.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:11 AM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow doc, that looks amazing! Welcome to spring!
Old 05-07-2004, 10:28 AM
mrZeee

doc..thats a neat pic...but don't you think altering the color/brightness levels is not a "fair" representation of an implied sort of Zaino effect...let a more natural pic do that...I've seem some of your pics and I know those are just as nice...I've never seen blue shadows before...maybe its a PA think
Old 05-07-2004, 10:30 AM
bhobson333

Originally posted by touring
If its other attribute is its longevity and durability, then why the need to continue putting on extra coats. Does this not defeat the marketing comparisons between products.
I don't think your question has been really answered, so I will answer it.

Two or three coats of Zaino will give you a nice shine and protect your car. After that, a coat or two every four to six months is all you need to maintain a great shine and tight water beading.

However, if you continue to add coats, as good as it looked before each coat looks noticably better. Not just maybe, or it's all psychological, but every coat is a noticable improvement. Also, as you build a base and get better at it, the coats get easier and easier to apply.

It's classical conditioning: the action (putting on another coat of Zaino) results in reward (better-looking car) which reinforces the behavior and encourages you to repeat it.

I have a series of pictures taken over a period of around 6 months, one after every coat. Pictures don't really do a shine justice, but even in the pics you can see the finish get better and better. For the ultimate results, see Dr. Bonz's car.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Originally posted by mrZeee
doc..thats a neat pic...but don't you think altering the color/brightness levels is not a "fair" representation of an implied sort of Zaino effect...let a more natural pic do that...I've seem some of your pics and I know those are just as nice...I've never seen blue shadows before...maybe its a PA think
I fully disclosed that that was a pic in which I upped the contrast. I didn't mean to falsely imply that this is what your car will look like if you use Zaino. JimH (the owner of Marilyn the LeMans Z) often does this in his photos and the results are awesome. It just seems to bring out the lines of the car and the dynamic nature of the Brickyard color.

I have posted numerous pics of my car with no Photoshop changes. I have received just as many complements.
Attached Thumbnails my Zaino impression-z-by-the-lake.jpg