Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

my Zaino impression

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 07:39 AM
touring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my Zaino impression

Since I purchased the complete package of Zaino sometime ago I was looking forward to a nice day to completely use the product. Finally got a suitable day, started early in the morning around 7am, hours into all that rubbing I was wondering how I could skip a couple of steps, getting tired. I kept the faith and finished the project around 2p.m. swearing never to use this product again. The hard work did produce an excellent finish, not sure how it compares to other shines but I was glad I finished. I know I will not go through all of the steps again, too much work. But I do plan on trying it on my 79 vette soon, just once to clearn it up. I'm afraid that my next z shine will come from easier application of another product. My personal needs don't call for giving 7hours of my off day to rubbing, After I finished I was too tired to even sit in the car. Just my 2cents.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:51 AM
mrZeee

AHA...1st evidence of Zaino Conspiracy: make people victims of self induced abuse!...I will get to the bottom of the conspiracy
Old 04-23-2004, 11:12 AM
SungNamZ

It get much easier! The next time you will be washing with Z7, followed by Z6, then Z2 or Z5 with ZFX and finally Z6. You should be able to do all of this in an hour. If you have a garage, do the Z7 wash, Z6 and Z2 or Z5 without ZFX. Let it try 8-10 hours, buff and hit it with Z6. Thirty minutes max. In time can get it down to 20 minutes.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly! My first Zaino experience was with my 92 Stealth TT. It took me a total of 12 hours of work for three layers (Dawn, clay, Z-7, dry, Z-6, Z-5, Z-6, Z-5, Z-6, Z-2, Z-6)

I can now do all of that in about 2.5 hours and I can wash, dry, Z-6, Z-5, Z-6, Z-2 in about 1.5 hours.

If you want even less work: wash, dry, Z-6 DONE 30 mins and LOOKS GREAT.

The first time is always the hardest. Don't give up!
Old 04-24-2004, 09:22 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Once you get it on the car the first time, it is very easy to maintain. I can wipe on a coat in less than 15 minutes, let it dry, then come back and within 10 minutes have the car wiped off.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:10 AM
spitfirez

Did my first layers of zaino last week. Took me about 5 hrs to clay and get 3 layers of zaino on.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:23 AM
jcr847

my first time took 9 hours, id do it again in a second, zaino now owns me.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:38 AM
dogfish1

My first time took seven hours and involved seven total applications, including the clay bar and washes before and after. I plan on sticking with Zaino for now to see how well it holds up after subsequent applications, but will change if this stuff turns out to be no better then other products I have used.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

It will shine and outlast any other product. As we Zaino-holics have said numerous times in the past, you DO NOT have to do layer after layer like us! If you take 4-5 hours to do all the steps and slap on 2 or 3 layers you CAN consider yourself done for 3 or 4 months! You don't need to do it every weekend. Zaino is the undisputed durability king.

Having said that, layers number 56, 57, and 58 went on my car yesterday (Z-5, Z-2, and Z-2)
Old 04-25-2004, 08:47 PM
MarkY

The only good thing about Zaino is that it lasts. You can get an equal shine and protection by a host of other products, and they take a lot less work. Klasse, Souveran, EX-P, Trade Secret, and a few others.

IMO, Zaino has seen its day. I used to use it on my Porsche, but now I use other products and they take a lot less time and effort. Plus, they look better than Zaino. However, if you hate waxing your car and don't do it very often, Zaino does last a while.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:02 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

The only good thing about Zaino is that it lasts
The ONLY good thing???

You can get an equal shine and protection by a host of other products, and they take a lot less work.
Again, I respectfully disagree. There are FEW products that shine like Zaino (some do, I'll concede) but NONE protect like Zaino. It has been proven in just about every head to head comparo. Just read Guru Reports if you don't believe me.

Finally, there CONTINUES to be a misconception that Zaino is hard to use. IT IS NOT HARD TO USE. The other products you mention all have "steps" to them. Zaino is no different.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:46 AM
Kevin V

Most of the work and time is in prepping the surface, however, this is NOT a Zaino thing. It should be done regardless of the product to be used, if you want the best results.

It definitely gets easier as you get better at applying it thinner and thinner. My son can do 3 coats in about 2 hours.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:39 AM
MarkY

If we were to take two cars in the same condition, and someone applies the Zaino process on one, and I use the process of my choice on the other, my process will look just as good and take less time.

I'm not saying Zaino is hard to use, in fact the oppisite is true. I'm saying the process is long, especially if you don't use ZFX.

I can apply 3 coats of Souveran in far less than 2 hours. Souveran won't last as long as Zaino, but it leaves a much better shine, especially on black or red. How long it lasts doesn't really matter to me because I don't mind putting a coat of Souveran on every couple of weeks. Even though Zaino last, most of the people I know that use it, apply the stuff every week anyway.

Zaino is good stuff, but there are better procucts out there, and they take much less time to achieve the same result.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

It depends on what you mean by "better". If by better, you mean "shine", there really aren't many that shine better than Zaino. But, assuming what you say is correct and what you use shines more, that certainly doesn't mean it is "better"

As I have mentioned in the past, I can rub my car in bacon grease and it'll shine like all he11. Does that mean that bacon grease is "better" for your car? In order to shine, many products out there contain silicone. Silicone is BAD for your car's paint in the long run. Many contain solvents and cleaners. This can be BAD for your car's paint.

Zaino contains none of these and is GOOD for your paint.

Pinnicle Soveran is a carnauba product. Over time, carnauba yellows and your true paint color won't shine through. Zaino doesn't do this. It's like putting a sheet of the clearest plate glass over your paint.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:39 PM
MarkY

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Pinnicle Soveran is a carnauba product. Over time, carnauba yellows and your true paint color won't shine through.
With all due respect, the above is complete BS. The one bad thing about Souveran is that it doesn't last. The sun kicks its a$$. It isn't on the car long enough to "yellow".

Are you trying to say that if someone constantly uses a carnauba wax, their paint will assume a yellow hue? Not a chance, as carnauba doesn't last that long.

I'm not ditching Zaino, but IMO it's strong suit is its longevity. There are many products that will match it's protection and shine. Plus, they're easier to use.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:45 PM
CaptinB

Are there services that will Zanio your car for the first time and get past that long day of Zanio-ing?

CaptinB
Old 04-27-2004, 04:02 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Are you trying to say that if someone constantly uses a carnauba wax, their paint will assume a yellow hue? Not a chance, as carnauba doesn't last that long.
No, not that it will assume a yellow hue. By yellowing, I mean it doesn't let the true color of the car show through. Yes, it does shine nicely but it obscures the paint. Many people who have used carnauba for a long time who have then Dawned and clayed their cars to apply Zaino have commented that their car seemed to take on a whole new "clearer" color.

And if you apply carnauba like many apply Zaino (repeatedly, layer after layer) it WILL be on the car long enough to yellow.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:02 AM
BillR

Originally posted by MarkY
Souveran won't last as long as Zaino, but it leaves a much better shine, especially on black or red.

I have tried Souveran on my red cars. In fact, It was the only wax I would use for some time. While it is good, Zaino produces a much better / deeper shine by a long shot.

(If you like Souveran, you should try P21S or even better- Waxing Frenzy.)

But so far, the best, wettest looking shine on red cars that I have found is Zaino. I have probably tried just about every wax there is. (Except for NXT- gotta try that)
Old 04-28-2004, 05:22 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Tell it brother Bill!
Old 04-28-2004, 05:35 AM
touring

I agree as i've stated zaino gives an excellent shine, but question? If its other attribute is its longevity and durability, then why the need to continue putting on extra coats. Does this not defeat the marketing comparisons between products.

Quick Reply: my Zaino impression