Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Famoso 9/92005 recap...holy Bogg Batman

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 03:40 PM
mrtomcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Famoso 9/92005 recap...holy Bogg Batman

My buddy Jason, his girlfriend Erica and I met up accidently half way on the freeway. We arrived to what looked like nothing but farm land, smelling like cow manure, at famoso around 4:30, just 2 cars ahead of us. So we figured, great weather, hardly any cars, we're going to have fun and tons of runs....boy were we wrong.

They opened at 6 pm and at this time it looked like about 60 cars or so, we went through tech were J got in trouble because his helmet does not have the snell sticker inside so the guy told him he's not allowed to drive faster than 14.0...so we figured if things go hard to hard I let him use my helmet. Fortunately no one checked later on and he was fine.

it filled up VERY fast and suddenly there were hundreds of cars.

I got my first run in and had to get out because I was sliding all over the place...12.4

Next run the car in front of me broke down at the tree and they used that time to reprep the track.
I rolled up and activated my line lock and boy, BEST BURNOUT EVER! No fishtailing or anything, I can sit there for hours and smoke the hell out of my tires!!!

I launch at 5200 and hook up like a mother****er and bogg all the way down to 1000 rpm...needles to say not a good run and time to reevaluate on how to launch now that I can get traction...12.6

Next run I decided to rev up higher and try to slip the clutch more, it's REALLY hard to slip my clutch it engages almost immmediately. I laucnh and for whatever reason can't hit second gear (felt like the gate problem on the celi)... 13.1 ****

I go in line one more time knowing that this will be the last run.

Launch goes better using the slipping clutch but again I can't hit second...13.6 tripple ****!

so I packed up and waited for Jason to finish.

I hope I didn't hurt my tranny, my clutch was smelling more than I've ever experienced on this one. I think since I was revved so high and was slipping a bit too long so that I had never really engaged the clutch completely in first and that way I couldn't hit second...next time I'm going to launch lower again and work my way up.

I was PISSED and all my time slips went into the trash!!!!

Now the great thing were my linelocks though, absolutele fantastic, that's the way to do it!

About Famoso:
I really like the track and except for that tech guy everyone was really cool.
They do allow too many cars and the staging lanes are not at all policed so people constantly push into different lines if you don't watch out. They seperate cars by types of tires, that's why I got to run sooner and more often than J because I was on slicks.
For the 2 hour drive to get there and no gas station open around for miles afterwards and then only being able to do 4 runs it's just not worth it.

I guess 11's have to wait a bit longer for me

My buddy J did 13.2, 13.1 and 13.0 in his STI
Old 09-11-2005, 03:18 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pick up a set of Driveshaft shop level 2 axles so you can just dump the **** out of the clutch @ 6000. Then you'll have no problem coming out of the hole. How much did your line lock cost?? And how was the install?
Old 09-11-2005, 03:29 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Pick up a set of Driveshaft shop level 2 axles so you can just dump the **** out of the clutch @ 6000. Then you'll have no problem coming out of the hole. How much did your line lock cost?? And how was the install?
I already got the Level II Axles. I started getting the shifting into 2nd problem when I launched above 5000 rpm, I'm going to another private 1/4 on the 23rd...as many runs as I want, I'll practise all the different scenarios there.

Linelocks:
You need two, I got the Jegs (about $90 including the needed fittings and lines per line lock.) The Install took about 5 hours.
I got a greddy remote Switch (no wires) to trigger it from the Steering wheel, however you need a special harness and that still hasn't arrived...so I just used a regular switch next to the TCS button...works for burnouts but not for launches because of the location.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:16 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
I already got the Level II Axles. I started getting the shifting into 2nd problem when I launched above 5000 rpm, I'm going to another private 1/4 on the 23rd...as many runs as I want, I'll practise all the different scenarios there.

Linelocks:
You need two, I got the Jegs (about $90 including the needed fittings and lines per line lock.) The Install took about 5 hours.
I got a greddy remote Switch (no wires) to trigger it from the Steering wheel, however you need a special harness and that still hasn't arrived...so I just used a regular switch next to the TCS button...works for burnouts but not for launches because of the location.
****...then you should be able to dump the cr@p out of that thing....

Thanks for the info on the line lock..

PS...what were you trapping??
Old 09-11-2005, 04:22 PM
mrtomcat

I only trapped 114 mph that night. I trapped 117.80 at Fontana though.

I'm just worried that I can't hit second anymore when launching that high.
Has anyone had that same problem?
Old 09-11-2005, 05:21 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

I only trapped 114 mph that night. I trapped 117.80 at Fontana though.

I'm just worried that I can't hit second anymore when launching that high.
Has anyone had that same problem?
I launched on slicks back when I was N/A @ 6000rpms and had no problems shifting into second...
Old 09-11-2005, 05:30 PM
mrtomcat

yeah, I hope it was just something stupid.

Should I just dump the clutch at 6k or do I need some feathering?
Old 09-11-2005, 07:40 PM
mrtomcat

I took some pics of my Line Locks today

Greddy Remote Switch

Jegs Line Locks

Old 09-11-2005, 08:09 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

hawtness....
Old 09-11-2005, 08:11 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

yeah, I hope it was just something stupid.

Should I just dump the clutch at 6k or do I need some feathering?

Dump the cr@p out of it or you'll just end up burning up your clutch.

I'm not saying you should side step the clutch...just dump it out VERY quickly.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:55 PM
mrtomcat

Dump the cr@p out of it or you'll just end up burning up your clutch.

I'm not saying you should side step the clutch...just dump it out VERY quickly.
well, I'll try that next time at the track.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:08 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

well, I'll try that next time at the track.
If you were trapping 117+ before...go back to that track...even if it is at a higher elevation. Either that or cruise on out here to the midwest and hit up Byron with me....:P
Old 09-11-2005, 10:28 PM
mrtomcat

If you were trapping 117+ before...go back to that track...even if it is at a higher elevation. Either that or cruise on out here to the midwest and hit up Byron with me....:P
yep, I'm going back to that track, with good traction and a good laucnh I should get at least a 11.9 there but it'll be tough

Cruise to the Midwest? Hmmh, I tell ya, I'm about ready to move to a different state alltogether, between the cop harrassment, psycho neighbors and an annoying job....don't tempt me
Old 09-12-2005, 04:10 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I launch at 5200 and hook up like a mother****er and bogg all the way down to 1000 rpm...
You have more than enough power to not bog soooo much. NA even when I f*ck up I dont bog so low, you must still be doing what I noticed you were doing in your in car video you posted. Your holding the revs off the line, and are letting off the clutch before you go WOT-thats why you drop so many revs. You need to go WOT at the same time as the clutch drop.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:56 PM
mrtomcat

I shall try that, however won't that give me too much wheel spin? Remember I'm got 400lbs of torque
Old 09-12-2005, 06:10 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

I shall try that, however won't that give me too much wheel spin? Remember I'm got 400lbs of torque
Not with slicks it won't....I barely spin my 18 inch DRs when I drop the clutch.

BTW - The midwest is fantastic..we don't have to worry about hurricanes, or earthquakes and we're not exactly the biggest Terrorist target....only thing that sucks is the winter, but it gives you time to work on car projects for the spring..and it doesn't matter if your baby is down for a couple months.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:00 PM
mrtomcat

Since I'm from germany the winter does not bug me too much, I kinda miss it actually...I think I need to do a road trip and visit what's out there one of these days

Well, I'll let you guys know how it worked out, I hope I'll make it to Irwindale on Thursday