Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

power loss

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 12:29 AM
350Z_GTS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power loss

Ok, i have looked all over the search places for engine power loss to bogging down. I use to know alot about rotary engines as my last was a mazda, but i got rid of it to get a more "reliable" car. Today on teh way to work, i was driving and when i hit a light, i though i would open the car cause i love the way the intake sounds. When i opened it up, in first gear it started to bogg down at like 6400 ish, then i shifted to second stilll pushing the gas wot, and at about 6000 it started to bogg, and lastly i shirted at 5400 in third cause it was just bogging. It was fine the day before, then i woke up and went to work at 6 and it strated bogging. I thought i would take the car in to the dealer mon or tuesday, but on the way home from work, i tryed to create the problem again and it didnt do it. in fact, it pulled very hard. I am parinoid about the car. Everything that clicks freaks me out and i dont know what the hell this problem was. If anyone has ANY suggestions i would like to know. Like it said, it only did this when i drove to work. The only mod i have is a aem cold air, 5k miles, oil change at 3k and use 5w-30 castrol oil.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:35 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Z_GTS
Ok, i have looked all over the search places for engine power loss to bogging down. I use to know alot about rotary engines as my last was a mazda, but i got rid of it to get a more "reliable" car. Today on teh way to work, i was driving and when i hit a light, i though i would open the car cause i love the way the intake sounds. When i opened it up, in first gear it started to bogg down at like 6400 ish, then i shifted to second stilll pushing the gas wot, and at about 6000 it started to bogg, and lastly i shirted at 5400 in third cause it was just bogging. It was fine the day before, then i woke up and went to work at 6 and it strated bogging. I thought i would take the car in to the dealer mon or tuesday, but on the way home from work, i tryed to create the problem again and it didnt do it. in fact, it pulled very hard. I am parinoid about the car. Everything that clicks freaks me out and i dont know what the hell this problem was. If anyone has ANY suggestions i would like to know. Like it said, it only did this when i drove to work. The only mod i have is a aem cold air, 5k miles, oil change at 3k and use 5w-30 castrol oil.
Is it possible your CAI filter got drenched with rain water?
Old 12-11-2006, 05:46 AM
first350

was the engine warmed up when you had the problem - I'm wondering if the engine is cold that it might limit power.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:55 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Turn your TCS button off!
Old 12-11-2006, 12:59 PM
350Z_GTS

yea, the engine was warm. It did rain out here, but i was driving in the rain all night without a problem the day before, plus i bought one of those filter covers that is suppose to help with the water problem. and as for the tcs, it wasnt wet when i tryed to go full, it was just cool and it was after like 20 min of driving. later that night i drove it to see if it would do it and it was wet and it pulled hard with and without tcs on. would resetting the battery do it or is this jsut a s*&t of the moment thing.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:09 PM
first350

maybe check your intake and all the fittings...if it's not tight, it could have sucked in some extra air and leaned the engine out - not sure why it wouldn't do it repeatably....
Old 12-13-2006, 01:14 PM
350Z_GTS

What i am thinking and would like an oppinion is that is it possible that since i drove it while it was raining, the engine was warm and the air that went in the intake was warm enough to evaporate. but then the intake was still wet and sat all night so when i started it the next day it got moisture on the m.a.f. and the computer told the car it was only going to suck so much air in. then i got to work, shut the car off and when i started it up again the computer was reset and the m.a.f. was not damp at all. is this at all possible. At this rate, i have the intake cover, maybe i should buy the buypass valve too. cause if this is happening now, what will happen when water is directly hitting it cause i want the veilside 3 kit with those holes where the intake site
Old 12-15-2006, 03:53 PM
LODOSS

did your TCS light come on everytime you felt it bogged down?

was it a very jerky bog?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:20 PM
350Z_GTS

Ok, this is what i got so far, so for anyone who wants a cold air intake listen up. so, i have the aem cold air intake with dryflow filter. I called a store and the mechanic told me that since it is a cold air, it will get wet. this is obvious, but then said that the dry flow will actually hold and absorbe water. i then bought a filter cover to block out the water and he said that not only is the filter holding water cause it is oil free, but the cover is keeping it moist. What is happening is when i go w.o.t. the intake basically sucks the hell out of the filter and the absorbed water along with it. Today i heard it was suppose to rain and bought a bypass valve as the mechanic said to. He told me that it would keep the car from getting any water at all so i will c if this stops the problem. I will post up what the results are either when it rains or i wash it again.