Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Powershifting in N/A vs FI Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 12:36 PM
ActionJackson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powershifting in N/A vs FI Car

Is powershifting just as bad for your car in FI applications as N/A? Harder to do in one application over another?
Old 11-12-2005, 09:44 AM
barthelb
Master

I powershifted when N/A and it doesn't seem to skip a beat but with FI, I don't want to try it. The clutch is at its max holding force so I don't want to push it. But in general I was told it is not needed.

Originally Posted by ActionJackson
Is powershifting just as bad for your car in FI applications as N/A? Harder to do in one application over another?
Old 11-12-2005, 10:30 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What is "powershifting?"
Old 11-12-2005, 10:40 AM
kalima275Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
What is "powershifting?"
Not lifting off the gas when shifting. Gas, depress clutch/shift to next gear, lift off clutch - all the while, having the gas depressed.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:11 PM
JRaptor2000

it also totally ****s up your transmission, especially the Z's tranny. but for some reason the Z's 5th and 6th dissapear first when they aren't even the gears that get beat on...if you're NA with minimal mods, go ahead and powershift, it does make a difference, if you waste the trans you can get a new one from the dealer and shouldn't have any hassle.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:28 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kalima275Z
Not lifting off the gas when shifting. Gas, depress clutch/shift to next gear, lift off clutch - all the while, having the gas depressed.
Thanks. I used to do that with a 4 cylinder Accord, but not the 350Z: it revs way to fast. My drag racing technique is a “modified" power shift. I keep the accelerator partially to the floor.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:29 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JRaptor2000
it also totally ****s up your transmission, especially the Z's tranny.
When done correctly and you dont grind into gear, its only slightly harder on your clutch/fw. I think its stupid for people to say it ruins "powershifting your tranny....bla blah blah", well so does racing and "normal" shifting if your fast enough. Nobody can say a non-powershifted tranny will last XXX longer than a powershifted tranny. Ive had issues with my tranny(like 20,000 other Z owners), but only before Nissan was revising them. I now have 24K on my last tranny (4th gen/version) and Ive had no issues at all with grinding, losing gears, ect, and Ive powershifted the hell out of it. Not to mention 53K on STOCK CLUTCH/FW which have seen 6000 rpm clutch drops and quick slips on slicks. I would disagree with your opinion regarding the Z's tranny, the newer ones are stout, as are our stock clutch/fw's....
Old 11-14-2005, 07:34 AM
JRaptor2000

i know you don't grind into gear. that's not the issue. when you "slam" gears, you aren't giving the syncro's enough time to do their job. yes it's slightly harder on your clutch too, since the clutch is spinning so quickly out of gear gets real hot, real quick. i've powershifted my tranny too, but the more you do it the faster your syncros deteriorate. powershifting bends and chips up the syncros, and makes them less effective.

drain and strain your tranny fluid, goto the track and make a couple runs powershifting and drain and strain again, i guarentee you will find metal particles no matter how well you can powershift.

i also haven't seen a torn down Z tranny or read tons about them so i have no idea what the deal with them losing 5th and 6th gear is. also seems like yours and bobbys trannys are holding up well. but i have no doubt that they will break again.

stock clutch is strong when its in great condition as it is with most cars, but do a few 2nd gear burnouts and get back to me on that. the stock clutches don't take those too well...
Old 11-14-2005, 08:07 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

i know you don't grind into gear. that's not the issue. when you "slam" gears, you aren't giving the syncro's enough time to do their job. yes it's slightly harder on your clutch too, since the clutch is spinning so quickly out of gear gets real hot, real quick. i've powershifted my tranny too, but the more you do it the faster your syncros deteriorate. powershifting bends and chips up the syncros, and makes them less effective.

drain and strain your tranny fluid, goto the track and make a couple runs powershifting and drain and strain again, i guarentee you will find metal particles no matter how well you can powershift.

i also haven't seen a torn down Z tranny or read tons about them so i have no idea what the deal with them losing 5th and 6th gear is. also seems like yours and bobbys trannys are holding up well. but i have no doubt that they will break again.

stock clutch is strong when its in great condition as it is with most cars, but do a few 2nd gear burnouts and get back to me on that. the stock clutches don't take those too well...
Preach to somebody else because I dont believe it. Watch me shift, I dont "slam" gears any harder than most people rugularly shift when they race, and if the synchros arent grinding and their is no hesitation into the next gear the synchros arent being chipped and damaged. Like I said its no harder than the damage that will come from fast speed shifting. IMO powershifting is about your timing, like I said watch me shift I dont slam gears any faster than the next guy. As far as the clutch getting hot real quick, thats BS also. Ive raced numerous times over and over and over again, no issues, no slipping. Until this past trip out to the track I havent even smelled my clutch, after a 6000 rpm dump I finally got that nasty "your clutch is getting hot smell". Second gear burnouts will *** up any stock clutch and some aftermarket clutches lol, whats your point with that? My point is you or anybody cant just say that powershifting "totally **** up your transmission" because I have 23K miles of proof that it will last as long as the next guy speed shifting. And like I said before everything you stated that happens to the synchros powertshfiting can happen speed shifting so if your so worried about it dont race. You pay to play....
Old 11-14-2005, 06:22 PM
JRaptor2000

lol i powershift my tranny when i race, that's how you race. but i also strain the tranny fluid the weekend after i run my car and powershift. when i powershift it's a perfectly smooth shift, no hesitation whatsoever and yet bronze metal particles still appear.

that's your third tranny correct? why'd your old ones go bad? once you have around 100k miles on that tranny i'll be impressed. my tranny has 102k on it and definately shows signs of abuse and i'll be rebuilding it sometime this winter. i'm interested in seeing how the 4th gen Z tranny's will hold up. also wondering why you can't rebuild the Z's tranny...
Old 11-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

that's your third tranny correct? why'd your old ones go bad?
Correct. First one had the early model Z cold weather grind, specifically into 2nd gear. Second tranny lost 5th gear, then 6th gear, then got stuck in reverse while getting an alignment Like I said I dont believe powershifting will prematurely wear out your tranny to the point you'll be replacing them yearly, by the time my tranny does go bad, other things such as flat out age could be the cause of the failure. In other words I wont baby it now to maybe get 5-10K out of it in another 4 years. Get what Im saying?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:26 PM
JamRWS6

My tranny held up to over 25K miles of powershifting up until the point that my clutch started to take a **** at about 44K miles....which in turn ended up grenading the tranny due to the bad clutch.

Powershifting is fine as long as the clutch is healthy....otherwise you can risk tearing some **** up badly.