Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Headin to the strip.. Pointers..??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headin to the strip.. Pointers..??

Tomorrow there is a test and tune pretty much all day.. $20..

This will be the FIRST time I have ever done anything like this and was hoping you guys could give me some pointers.. Anything you guys contribute is much appreciated!
Old 12-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just remember that when you take off, you want to have the rpms around 3500-4000 and find that point where it doesnt spin and doesnt bog....

practice practice practice!!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 08:41 AM
UGOTZ'D

Spin Your Tires Alittle Bit To Get Them Warmed Up, But Not In The Burnout Box; Drive Around That And When The Last Amber Bulb Lights Up Launch Your Car. If You Wait For The Green Light Your R/t Is Gonna Blow. One More Thing When Spinning Your Tires Do Not Go Past The Staging Lanes And Then Back Up. That Is Annoying As All Hell! But Also Remember To Have Fun And Know That You Get Better With Experience
Old 12-15-2006, 08:44 AM
VeeTec

I would do a quick little tire cleaning burn out,and then a quick little test launch, feeling for traction.

Then pull up to the line slowly, watching for the first staging light. Inch up a little more until the second light is lit, these are the two lights on the top of the tree.

When the other car is also staged, get ready to launch by bringing your rpms up, since your new at drag racing, I would try it at about 3K-3.5K at first.

When the last yellow lights up, go ahead and launch, as you won't actually start to move until the green is already lit. When you launch, feather outthe clutch very quickly, feeling for traction, until you get the hang of it.

As you become more accustomed to launching, you will able to much harder, and quicker.

When you shift, don't waste time, and shift just ahead of the limiter, or at indicated redline.

Have fun, and as stated before, practice makes perfect.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Thanks guys I appreciate it!

Anything and everything is a help!

Going to get a helmet now.. Didnt know I needed one
Old 12-15-2006, 08:55 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you need a helmet if you run better than 13.49, a roll bar under 11.49, a roll cage under 9.99 or trapping 135..

good luck man!!

also, if possible, drive AROUND the water box and dont back into the water if you can, not a good idea with street tires, just watch people in front of you to see what they do. also, as stupid as it sounds, take a **** before you go to get in line, the little bit of nerves will make you feel like you have to pee really bad and then you wont be fully concentrating on your run...
Old 12-15-2006, 09:04 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

a. Watch a couple of runs before jumping in the staging lanes.
b. How are the pre and stage lights tripped? Where is the runoff (after the quarter mile mark)? Do the cars exit left or right? Do they cross lanes? Where?
c. Be courteous. Allow the other car to pre-stage before you stage.
d. Take your time. Where your car is on the staging pad, that lane is yours. Watch the official for instructions. If you goof up, do nothing. Again watch the official for instructions.
e. No need to break any World Land Speed records. Be safe and have fun.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:25 AM
priscilla ls1

Hey try and get there early you might be a little nervus so try running aginst no one you might be a little on edge if a lot of ppl show up later and try to hard to win the race also its not all about winning when you first go so dont worry about the reaction times or who or what is in the lane next to you worry more about the 60 ft times , and watch the pattern everyone is doing in front of you do A little burn out and pay attention to the guy in the pit when he tells you when the right time to burn out is. Dont forget to have fun! and dont worry if you mess up everyone does. No one is perfet their first time.

Last edited by priscilla ls1; 12-15-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Great advice fellas.. I appreciate it!