streetracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Jessica. You're hot!
Old 02-22-2007, 11:49 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by streetracer
Well people, I have cracked it. I did a few mods since the thread started when I was stock. The new mods are: Injen SES, TP, Spacer, pop, 3.9FD, Quaife LSD. Oh, I still need tires! Thanks to David and all the people that contributed to my times improvement.
Congrats Streetracer!

So how do you l ike the 3.9FD? One of the things i am considering now.

You just need to get that 60ft down. You car should easly be 13.6.

Later
Todd
Old 02-22-2007, 05:32 PM
streetracer

I love it. I first was like Takumi when he first drove the 86 with the formula atlantic motor that Bunta put it that reved to 11k rpm. I was like wtf, I just messed up my car getting crazy with this whole differential thing. Well, funny thing has been happening; I'm falling in love for this thing. The car revs like a mad dog now. I did all my bolt-ons all at once so the review I'm giving could also be based on some other mod not ralated to the FD. But I can honestly tell you the car's personality will change dramatically.

Be prepared to:
1- hear some noise from the LSD as in humming. changing FD is not really an exact thing so it never gets to be noiseless. Unless of course you are willing to drop the pumpkin a few times to adjust which will be $$$.

2- Change gears more often. A lot more often. My 4th droped from 116mph to 104 and my third from 90 to 82.

3- In the 0.25 mile I have to shift to 5th gear which causes time loss. I think if I change somehow my rev limiter fuel cut I can cross it in fourth and not loose time.

4- Have a car that feels like a race car. I had the base model with open diff. when I put in my Quaife, 3.9, and some aluminum kit that replaces the pumpkin exterior bushings for aluminum rings, I've literally crossed to the dark side. I mean, its noisy, the LSD clicks and clacks, the gears are always ready on a high rpm, etc. Whole new ball game.

5- Freeway driving will suffer as well as milage. 65 cruise is about at 2700 rpm.

Subjectively, I love the car now. But the car is really hardcore. Obviously the Injen SES true dual with the alphawerks TP help with the overall loudness. Driving around town the car is faster, period. However, I will tell you this, I live in Puerto Rico where the streets are narrow and the highways short. A 3.9 FD can be handy. I have been to the states on numerous occasions and the street layout is vastly different. I don't think for the US a 3.9 is that useful since highways are longer, flatter, better pavimented, broader, etc. So think about it and only do it if are prepared for the dark side.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps!

Last edited by streetracer; 02-22-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:45 PM
ACEMAN
Master

I love it. I first was like Takumi when he first drove the 86 with the formula atlantic motor that Bunta put it that reved to 11k rpm. I was like wtf, I just messed up my car getting crazy with this whole differential thing. Well, funny thing has been happening; I'm falling in love for this thing. The car revs like a mad dog now. I did all my bolt-ons all at once so the review I'm giving could also be based on some other mod not ralated to the FD. But I can honestly tell you the car's personality will change dramatically.

Be prepared to:
1- hear some noise from the LSD as in humming. changing FD is not really an exact thing so it never gets to be noiseless. Unless of course you are willing to drop the pumpkin a few times to adjust which will be $$$.

2- Change gears more often. A lot more often. My 4th droped from 116mph to 104 and my third from 90 to 82.

3- In the 0.25 mile I have to shift to 5th gear which causes time loss. I think if I change somehow my rev limiter fuel cut I can cross it in fourth and not loose time.

4- Have a car that feels like a race car. I had the base model with open diff. when I put in my Quaife, 3.9, and some aluminum kit that replaces the pumpkin exterior bushings for aluminum rings, I've literally crossed to the dark side. I mean, its noisy, the LSD clicks and clacks, the gears are always ready on a high rpm, etc. Whole new ball game.

5- Freeway driving will suffer as well as milage. 65 cruise is about at 2700 rpm.

Subjectively, I love the car now. But the car is really hardcore. Obviously the Injen SES true dual with the alphawerks TP help with the overall loudness. Driving around town the car is faster, period. However, I will tell you this, I live in Puerto Rico where the streets are narrow and the highways short. A 3.9 FD can be handy. I have been to the states on numerous occasions and the street layout is vastly different. I don't think for the US a 3.9 is that useful since highways are longer, flatter, better pavimented, broader, etc. So think about it and only do it if are prepared for the dark side.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps!
Hey Streetracer,

Thanks for the review. I do have the reflash, so my rev limit is set to 7100rpm. That should help some. I also have a base model, i changed out the open diff to one off of another 350z. So now i have a LSD. Should of installed the 3.9FD then, but i wasnt sure that i wanted to go that route then.

I know what you mean about the streets of San Juan. I was there for 2 days. Took a cruise out of there ( Carnival Destiny ) last year.

Well, keep up the good work, and get that 60ft down. I know i need to work on my 60ft

Later
Todd
Old 02-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Dave B

Here's what I got so far. Been to the track three times now.

1st run
et: 14.394
rt: 0.9982
speed: 100.561
60ft:2.4352
330: 6.363
1/8: 9.485

2nd run
et: 14.365
rt: 0.585
speed: 100.267
60ft:2.360
330: 6.316
1/8: 9.441
9.4 1/8 miles roughly coorelate to 14.5-14.6 in the 1/4. You "speed" doesn't make a lick of sense though. If you're running 100mph in the 1/8 mile, that would mean you're trapping about 140mph in the 1/4 mile.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:31 AM
DouBLeJ16

My guess is you have the base. Let me summarize, we're screwed! Very hard to go anywhere without the LSD. Thats my next mod.
I have a base with no LSD with stock tires with 22k miles on them and I was able to hit a 2.1 60'.. That didn't even seem like a good launch, I think 2.0 60' is very possible even for the base model on stock tires.

The car really doesn't need LSD unless you're planning on putting on DRs and some type of FI.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Dave B

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
The car really doesn't need LSD unless you're planning on putting on DRs and some type of FI.
Actually, with DRs, an LSD becomes even more worthless. The LSDs in these cars serve to no real advantage in the straightline because the LSD clutch pack doesn't react quick enough when spin in detected on one axle. There are plenty of FWD open differential Maxima's pulling 1.7-1.9 60 foots on slicks and DRs.

If I can pull 2.1 60 foots in a stock 250lb heavier automatic G35 sedan, then it should pretty easy for the lighter, more powerful, shorter wheelbase Z to land 2.0s rather easily.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:16 PM
streetracer

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
I have a base with no LSD with stock tires with 22k miles on them and I was able to hit a 2.1 60'.. That didn't even seem like a good launch, I think 2.0 60' is very possible even for the base model on stock tires.

Have you ever tried to accelerate out of a corner? Try it, then we'll talk.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:18 PM
streetracer

Originally Posted by Dave B
9.4 1/8 miles roughly coorelate to 14.5-14.6 in the 1/4. You "speed" doesn't make a lick of sense though. If you're running 100mph in the 1/8 mile, that would mean you're trapping about 140mph in the 1/4 mile.
The track is 0.25 miles and so is the milage, obviously. Maybe you would like to see the actual slip.
Attached Thumbnails Yep, still need to break those 14's...-scan0009.jpg  
Old 02-23-2007, 12:29 PM
streetracer

If I can pull 2.1 60 foots in a stock 250lb heavier automatic G35 sedan, then it should pretty easy for the lighter, more powerful, shorter wheelbase Z to land 2.0s rather easily.
Some of us are still on the learning curve. The cars limits still surpass mine. But don't worry about it too much, I'm already at 2.1.
Attached Thumbnails Yep, still need to break those 14's...-scan0012.jpg  
Old 02-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Dave B

The track is 0.25 miles and so is the milage, obviously. Maybe you would like to see the actual slip.
My bad. My eyes didn't catch "et" because I'm use to looking for "ET" or "1/4" and same goes for 1/4 MPH. I couldn't figure out why you had an 1/8 mile ET and then a 100+mph 1/8 mile MPH.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Dave B

Have you ever tried to accelerate out of a corner? Try it, then we'll talk.
Two completely different worlds. The LSD unit in the Z is viscous limited slip. That means it uses a vicous fluid that engages the clutches when slip is detected. The problem is that it takes rather significant spin to get the fluid to warm up and mesh the clutches. Also, the torque split when the LSD is fully engage is only about 20% to the slipping wheel hence the name limited slip. People seem to believe that the LSD in the Z/G is something like a locker differential that splits torque 50/50 between the two axles. In a drag race, the VLSD used in the Z/G serves no real benefit because it takes too long to react and it's torque split is very limited. Also, one wheel spin off the line really doesn't seem to be a problem with these cars because my open diff G35 has no problems laying down two parallel strips of rubber when going in straight line.

Now if we're talking about slower speed tight and off camber turns at near or full throttle in a road race situation, then yes, the LSD does serve a purpose because the open differential car will have the tendency to light up the unloaded tire which can lead to slower lap times.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:20 PM
streetracer

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. And you are right. A person using the car for moving from A to B will have no issues with an open diff. He/She would not even notice. However, I beat my car pretty hard, as you can probably tell by my mods. Its a performance oriented tool and everything I do to it is to increase its limits. I really love my upgraded diff. Makes all the difference to me.

I remember a drifting school I went to when I was stock with open diff and the first exercise was to do donuts. I was the laughing duck of the crowd seeing an "expensive" car humiliated like that. I could not do them right because the inside wheel spun like a MTF. Now, different story.

BTW, I did not know some G's came with an open diff. Thats a real let down. Sorry to point it out. But its true.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Dave B

BTW, I did not know some G's came with an open diff. Thats a real let down. Sorry to point it out. But its true.
All 2003 G35s were open differential. In 2004, the 6MTs got LSD. In 2005, the 5AT Sports got LSD.

I wouldn't mind having it, but for the way I drive my car, LSD really wouldn't be much of a benefit. Oddly, even the BMW 335i doesn't come LSD. They're strictly open diff.

As for donuts, that isn't a problem if you're doing a very tight circle at around 10mph and then lay into it. I can do donuts that way though I don't do drifting and don't get much fun out of donuts. I do love to hang the tail out around turns and such with power oversteer though.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:02 AM
streetracer

Oddly, even the BMW 335i doesn't come LSD. They're strictly open diff.
Wow, is that true! That sucks. Even the neon SRT4 gets a good LSD. Have to say the 335 has just lost a lot of points in my book.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:09 AM
streetracer

As for donuts, that isn't a problem if you're doing a very tight circle at around 10mph and then lay into it. I can do donuts that way though I don't do drifting and don't get much fun out of donuts.
Yeah, powers slides can be done just fine. However, for the donuts, when you lay into it the will slide. After the initial slide when the car settles and looses the sliding inertia, the inside wheel spin will become apparent and troublesome. Open diffs donuts are from 180 to 180 and not a complete harmonic dance of a full 360 degrees burnout spin.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:41 PM
03ZHIFT

reminds me of when I blew the lsd in my gto. fun times
Old 03-12-2007, 04:44 PM
streetracer

Update of my time. Dropped to 13.8. YES!
Attached Thumbnails Yep, still need to break those 14's...-scan0014.jpg  
Old 03-12-2007, 05:36 PM
ct350z

good run, looks like you really improving. good job!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 05:44 PM
streetracer

Originally Posted by tany009
good run, looks like you really improving. good job!!!
Now I'm with you on the 60 ft boat. Need to lower it to 2.0. We'll see how it translates to in the .25 mile.

Quick Reply: Yep, still need to break those 14's...