Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Roadsters at the drags and roll bar rules

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Zazoozle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So has anyone found bolt-in roadster roll bars? I really want to do some low-level/beginner clinics at a track, but most require (aftermarket?) roll bars for convertibles - stock roll bar hoops are not enough? or are they?

"The Nissan 350Z and Mazda MX-5 Miata appear to offer roll bar hoops, but they are not engineered to provide protection in a rollover." http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=1183&scid=31

I know they exist - someone recently posted that pic of the drifting roadster with roll bars or a cage. Where can I buy one?
Old 09-17-2007, 01:54 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zazoozle
So has anyone found bolt-in roadster roll bars? I really want to do some low-level/beginner clinics at a track, but most require (aftermarket?) roll bars for convertibles - stock roll bar hoops are not enough? or are they?

"The Nissan 350Z and Mazda MX-5 Miata appear to offer roll bar hoops, but they are not engineered to provide protection in a rollover." http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=1183&scid=31

I know they exist - someone recently posted that pic of the drifting roadster with roll bars or a cage. Where can I buy one?
Then go to the dragstrip and race.
Did you fail tech inspection? Why? What rule were you quoted?
Old 09-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Zazoozle

Hey David,

Haven't failed any inspection, but all the schools/clinics I've been looking at say that convertibles must have roll bars or cages - I know for drift, high performance school, etc, and I think even for drag, especially if your car is faster than whatever time they specify.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:37 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

someone recently posted that pic of the drifting roadster with roll bars or a cage. Where can I buy one?
That drift car lost it's functioning convertible a long time ago. Look closely and you'll see the bars going through the tonneau cover.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:52 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey David,

Haven't failed any inspection, but all the schools/clinics I've been looking at say that convertibles must have roll bars or cages - I know for drift, high performance school, etc, and I think even for drag, especially if your car is faster than whatever time they specify.
I thought that your post was broad, so since this is the drag racing forum, I limited my answer to drag racing.

Drag racing: I have raced with the stock 350Z roadster, S2000, Pontiac Solstice**and BMW roadsters. All passed tech inspection.

HPDE: Again I have driven with the stock S2000 and BMW roadsters. All passed tech as is.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Zazoozle

Istan - wow yeah it did! Though the bambam video in the roadster forum section shows his car with a cage and the top goes up & down no problem.

Thanks so much David, I am really glad to hear that - that stock is fine. I want to be safe, but I am having a crazy hard time finding a bar for our roadsters.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

zazoozle-just go to the track! Only way to find out...your 99% fine just take a helmet.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:13 PM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to reconfirm, I have looked for more then a year... close to 2... No company makes a bolt in roll bar/cage for the 350Z Roadster.
You will need to have a custom one built by a qualified welder with experience building cages to the specs of the racing organization you are trying to please.

If you are concerned with general performance driving courses, I thought I had the same problem at first. As I contacted the organizations running the events, if you bring the car and take the plastic covers off the hoops for their review I have yet to have anyone tell me it would not be allowed on the track as a 'normal' car. Of course this is only for HPD/SCCA or 1/4 mile 'Test and Tunes', not any professional racing qualifications.

WARNING: if you are REALLY trying to meet the 'official' specs, I suggest you make the car a full out racer and ditch the top like the below pic. Otherwise I am not sure you can get the rear support bars in and keep the top. No to mention having a cage on the street is not the safest thing to do.
--B