Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Buying Slicks & Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry to bump an old thread, but updates?

Personally, I prefer the Hoosiers over the M/T's, but that's just me. I had the D05 compound slicks and the grip was insane even with a **** poor burnout. I've seen more M/Ts (2:1 ratio) at the drag strip, though.

+1 on the Welds. The weight difference does make a difference and if you check out eBay, there are some good deals on brand new Welds and slicks (well, back when I had them there were deals). One thing you need to consider with Welds is that they require shank style lug nuts (which means more money and they're pretty heavy), whereas others like Summit will work with regular acorn style lug nuts (there are many lightweight ones, even titanium ones).

Lastly, I don't know what your power goals are, but a good compound 9.5" wide slicks should be plenty. Wider tires look cool but the width and the larger surface area/contact patch (thus, more friction) really takes their toll down the strip. 10.5" would be the max I'd go, though.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't bought my tires yet as I'm finishing up some other things on the car. Getting a cage put in the beginning of May so I've been busy with that.

Just going to go with 10.5 for now.

Hoping to have nitrous and a Ford 9"/4-link in fall. I may change my tire selection again at that point.

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Sorry to bump an old thread, but updates?

Personally, I prefer the Hoosiers over the M/T's, but that's just me. I had the D05 compound slicks and the grip was insane even with a **** poor burnout. I've seen more M/Ts (2:1 ratio) at the drag strip, though.

+1 on the Welds. The weight difference does make a difference and if you check out eBay, there are some good deals on brand new Welds and slicks (well, back when I had them there were deals). One thing you need to consider with Welds is that they require shank style lug nuts (which means more money and they're pretty heavy), whereas others like Summit will work with regular acorn style lug nuts (there are many lightweight ones, even titanium ones).

Lastly, I don't know what your power goals are, but a good compound 9.5" wide slicks should be plenty. Wider tires look cool but the width and the larger surface area/contact patch (thus, more friction) really takes their toll down the strip. 10.5" would be the max I'd go, though.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone know if the track requires shank style lug nuts with open ends? Or are they ok with closed? I know some tracks require them during tech inspection and some don't not sure though.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysNBoost
does anyone know if the track requires shank style lug nuts with open ends? Or are they ok with closed? I know some tracks require them during tech inspection and some don't not sure though.
Open end is usually required to my understanding but I believe shank or conical depends on the wheel.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:14 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea your right I know the welds require it others dont