Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Whats your launch technique??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 08:51 PM
Sjambok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VDC on

Anyone tried launching with the VDC on? I went to the track recently and couldn't get any traction. I had my VDC off. I was fish-tailing so bad I almost ran into the wall and after that called it a night. I was dumping around 3000 and would burn all the way into 3rd gear. I was wondering if having it on might fix it but I haven't tried it yet.

Also, how bad is it on the engine if we ride it to the point where our rev limiter kicks in?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:09 AM
joust75

Default Re: VDC on

Originally posted by Sjambok
Anyone tried launching with the VDC on? I went to the track recently and couldn't get any traction. I had my VDC off. I was fish-tailing so bad I almost ran into the wall and after that called it a night. I was dumping around 3000 and would burn all the way into 3rd gear. I was wondering if having it on might fix it but I haven't tried it yet.

Also, how bad is it on the engine if we ride it to the point where our rev limiter kicks in?

Thanks.
Lanch with VDC and you are going nowhere. You must be new to your Z. Even with a good launch you are still spinning a little and the ECU knows it. Just try it. Throttle is cut instantly with any traction loss.

Your cool with bouncing off the rev limiter. We all do it lots on My350z.com. When you are modified and your FI doesent know your fuel has been cut, it is dangerous. If you are forcing air in when you have no fuel, you get detonation.
If you are stock, bounce away. Just dont make it a habit.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Zpeed Freak

My bone stock base model seems to get the best launches when I moderately dump at low rpms and gradually depress the accelerator as it hooks up... then shift quickly to second right before redline. To me, second gear is where the big difference is. If you run through first properly.. second gear will tear ***. If you don't, second will feel a bit sluggish. I don't slip during launches because I don't want to burn up my stock clutch for whatever reason. I have always considered slipping bad practice... but I'm also not a drag racer.. or a mod freak... I live for the turns...

I think a slight to moderate dump right before the point that causes tire spin and then depressing the accelerator according to your traction threshold is the best way to launch. I guess if you have oodles and gobs of power and can't keep your wheels planted.... and you have a heavy duty clutch... then maybe slipping is in order.... but since I don't have any of that I wouldn't know.... Or maybe I just don't what I'm talking about and don't know how to dragrace....lol

"or maybe is it the smaller diameter? with 255 vs 245, I figure Id hook up better. What gives?"

It's actually the opposite. A bigger diameter is harder to spin and hooks up better. Not having enough power to use a bigger tire is what gets you. A smaller tire increases your ability to spin the tires, but it also reduces top speed for each gear....

Don't get me wrong... I'm not flaming...I'm just posting my uneducated opinion. From the pros who know, is there any validity to anything I have said?