Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

strengthen 350Z hand brake method?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 04:19 PM
tashi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And how long will they last??????
Old 02-15-2006, 05:32 AM
zfastest

No offense "eat rice z33", but suggesting somebody change their suspension or alignment settings to learn how to use a technique probably isn't the best option here. What people need is seat time with a good instructor. All the internet advice in the world won't make a good driver, it's practice doing something a million times.

As far as if the Project Mu drum shoes work on the Brembo package....maybe...I dont have a service manual in front of me, you'll have to do a little research and find out for sure if the track model uses the rear drums for the ebrake. I'm 95% sure that it does however. These shoes will last a pretty long while provided you don't drift like a newb or drift Ken Gushi style where that's all you use to initiate.

Clutch in while E-braking question:
When you pull the ebrake the idea is stop movement of the rear tires, correct? Pretend you slow down to a stop at a red light and don't push in the clutch, what happens? STALL

Everybody just needs to go out there and get seat time, there are drift events all over the country these days!!!!
Old 02-15-2006, 09:41 AM
anotheraznguy

the track and non brembo models use the same style ebrake.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:32 AM
dank311

Originally Posted by zfastest
No offense "eat rice z33", but suggesting somebody change their suspension or alignment settings to learn how to use a technique probably isn't the best option here. What people need is seat time with a good instructor. All the internet advice in the world won't make a good driver, it's practice doing something a million times.

As far as if the Project Mu drum shoes work on the Brembo package....maybe...I dont have a service manual in front of me, you'll have to do a little research and find out for sure if the track model uses the rear drums for the ebrake. I'm 95% sure that it does however. These shoes will last a pretty long while provided you don't drift like a newb or drift Ken Gushi style where that's all you use to initiate.

When you pull the ebrake the idea is stop movement of the rear tires, correct? Pretend you slow down to a stop at a red light and don't push in the clutch, what happens? STALL

Everybody just needs to go out there and get seat time, there are drift events all over the country these days!!!!
Very true. Not just seat time, but track time. I have learned more in a few hours at the track than I have several weekends in empty parking lots, etc..But a suspension upgrades are great in reducing body roll, and give much more of a responsive/predictable feel. If I were to advise anyone to upgrade anything it would be LSD...But this is beyond the fact, and not totally on the subject of this topic...

Yea, I guess that was soo simple, I didnt even thinkn about it stalling out. But the main reason of my asking, like I said before, was b/c I have seen many professionals lightly pull the ebrake in mid drift to correct angle without pressing in the clutch, and I had heard that it can possible wear out the differential. But no worries, as I dont use it much anyways.

Very True! Nothing replaces experience and practice. This is my second full season in the Z33. I am hoping to improve alot at higher speeds this season. Then I will be adding a turbo later this year.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:30 PM
anotheraznguy

actually from what i see..
most "PRO Drifters"
when they yank on the ebrake their clutch is fully depressed.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:10 PM
dank311

<---- nice *** josh
Old 02-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Z33_SPL

i pull the ebrake and press the clutch in when i want to initiate or extend the drift. i pull the ebrake without pressing the clutch when i feel the car is over-rotating while in drift to slow the car down and prevent the car from spinning out. if your car is a street car i suggest getting the project mu shoes. they are a ***** to put in and adjust to get right but it is definitely way better than stock. i got mine from spl parts. i think the hydraulic brake should only be used for race cars and you should definitely add another caliper not just split the lines and use the rear caliper. that way you can use the foot and ebrake at the same time.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:22 PM
dank311

Thanks Z33 SPL...
Thats the answer I was looking for. I have seen people do this before, but never knew why, b/c I know they do it w/ the clutch pressed in as well. I was wondering what the difference was in the two.
As for the Mu shoes, they sound like they would be perfect for my use...How hard are they to install and adjust? Any tips or things to look out for when installing these?
Thanks man
Old 02-15-2006, 08:16 PM
tashi

i want to buy a mu shoes too

and still thinking how to install it by myself.....
Old 02-15-2006, 08:17 PM
tashi

i think mu shoes is better choice to daily driver
Old 02-22-2006, 06:04 AM
tashi

Is it hard to install it by myself?????
i went to the dealer and ask how much to install it. They said they will need to spend 2-3 hours and around $80 per hour. If it is not hard to do it, i will do it by myself.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:02 AM
aaronlosey

they aren't all that difficult to install. go buy yourself a haynes or chiltons manual that gives you the run through, and you should be able to get through it if you have some mechanical skill and can follow directions. if you can afford it and don't want to worry about something going wrong, take it all to a brake check or your local mechanic, it will probably cost 1/2 of what the dealer wants to charge.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:19 PM
636Racer

Originally Posted by anotheraznguy
actually from what i see..
most "PRO Drifters"
when they yank on the ebrake their clutch is fully depressed.
the ebrake usually used to correct mistakes OR to keep th back end sliding on decreasing speed turns.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:53 AM
tashi

Like Aaron said, if you aren't looking to install and mess with brake lines, I'd highly reccomend the Project Mu drum shoes for the rear drum component. In every Z I have seen the drum unit engages with the Ebrake handle (except Aaron with his slick trick drift stick).

http://www.splparts.com/Parts/Nissan...ds/default.asp

Go to the bottom of that page, SPL carries the "drift spec" Z33 drum shoes. It took a while to get mine "bedded in" after installing them, but after that happened, and I tightened up the little nut under the ash tray, it works like a champ and locks the rear wheels VERY effectively, albeit requires much more physical effort then a hydralic ebrake.

If you wanted to get serious about doing it this way, you could do like I did and fab up an extension bar (for more leverage and get it closer to the shifter) to the existing ebrake handle and disable the click-locking mechanism.

Happy drifting.
Project Mu sport rear brake shoes

why i can't find out this in the project U offical web site.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:07 AM
aaronlosey

ok, i finally snapped some pics of my ebrake setup, here you go. plus some other various drift junk. and yes, that is a jack handle, yes it is aluminum, yet it has a nicely cross hatched grippy section at the top, and yes it works great. i added hawk after market pads front and rear as well to help with initial bite, as the stock bakes are a little soft. and the little red handle is a proportioning valve so i can adjust the front to rear bias. not the perfect setup, but it works well.
Attached Thumbnails strengthen 350Z hand brake method?-dsc04697.jpg   strengthen 350Z hand brake method?-dsc04699.jpg   strengthen 350Z hand brake method?-dsc04698.jpg   strengthen 350Z hand brake method?-dsc04703.jpg   strengthen 350Z hand brake method?-dsc04692.jpg  

Last edited by aaronlosey; 03-29-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Vamos_Rafael

damn... nice set up...
does that lock up the rears easily now?
and are those tires all sponsored?
Old 03-29-2006, 06:45 PM
aaronlosey

Originally Posted by Bee Ess Pee
damn... nice set up...
does that lock up the rears easily now?
and are those tires all sponsored?
it locks the rears up very nicely, i still pay for tires : )
Old 04-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Three5oZee

doesnt look like a bad idea.... i know my e-brake sucks a$$... i dont use it much at all when sliding...but it wouldnt hurt to upgrade that e-brake pad to a Project mu padding....