Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

Anyone unplug thier abs before drifting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 06:09 AM
z33luis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone unplug thier abs before drifting?

I just attended my first drift event yesterday and I talked to a fellow Z driver. He told me to unplug the abs from under the hood.

I have a track model, do i just turn off the vdc or is it true you have to unplug the abs.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:36 AM
12AutoX

I pull my VDC fuse. How would the ABS play any role?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:01 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Doing the ABS is only good if you want to do a standing burnout. If your ABS is on it will cut fuel witch will stop your standing burn out. If your drifting you shouldnt be standing still so, I think you should be good. Just my .02
Old 11-12-2007, 07:04 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you may need to if you are giving it throttle and brake at the same time. not sure if the VDC fuse or ABS fuse or whatever is responsible for it, but the Z will cut power if you try to brake while giving it gas which could mess up your drift... if you are on the brakes throttle at the same time.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:09 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Motormouth
I think you may need to if you are giving it throttle and brake at the same time. not sure if the VDC fuse or ABS fuse or whatever is responsible for it, but the Z will cut power if you try to brake while giving it gas which could mess up your drift... if you are on the brakes throttle at the same time.
True,
I have an 04 touring, if you do a search u can find more on this topic, but on my car i just have to disconnect a plug behind the brake box, then the VDC, SLIP and ABS light come on in my dash.

your brake/tail lights still work and everything...

- j
Old 11-12-2007, 08:48 AM
z33luis

Thanks for the responses everyone. Ill search for it on here and next event ill try it unplugged.

Thanks again!
Old 11-12-2007, 03:44 PM
z33luis

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
True,
I have an 04 touring, if you do a search u can find more on this topic, but on my car i just have to disconnect a plug behind the brake box, then the VDC, SLIP and ABS light come on in my dash.

your brake/tail lights still work and everything...

- j
Sorry to be such a n00b, but you can please tell me which plug is it exactly? I know there is one directly on the abs box. Is that the one?

Perhaps a picture? lol. Thanks a lot!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:18 PM
daytona350z

dissconnect the yaw sensor behind the shifter.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:52 AM
DustinZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the abs causes a problem when using the e-brake as well.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Tougeznut

I didn't know there was an ABS fuse to pull (<--NOOB )

I figured out how to trick the car into turning it off for you.

You have to be sideways over 30mph and come to a complete stop (while drifting) with the brake pedal and more than 90 degrees of rotation twice. The ABS and SLIP lights come on and deactivate the ABS.

Figured it out after spinning out twice in a row, and then doing some trial and error.

Should i let Nissan know? is this something recallable?
Old 11-16-2007, 12:08 PM
rhythmnsmoke

Originally Posted by RedBullRR
Doing the ABS is only good if you want to do a standing burnout. If your ABS is on it will cut fuel witch will stop your standing burn out. If your drifting you shouldnt be standing still so, I think you should be good. Just my .02

Unpluging the ABS to my knowledge still does not allow you to do burnouts. That function is controlled at the ECU. You would have to remove the brake fuse still in order to do a standing burnout.

+1 on disconnecting the plug under the hood. That's what I do when I want to do some drifting practices. I have my first event coming up on the 24th. Can't wait...
Old 03-05-2008, 06:36 PM
gregom

I used to unplug the ABS fuse in my Hyundai Tiburon during autocross because it would activate when there was any wheel slip, front or back, thus causing the steering to get really heavy. Don't know about this in the Z... I don't have any problems drifting in my Z with the TCS off, and I don't have VDC or whatever.

I noticed one night when I was doing donuts in a parking lot, the ABS and SLIP light were stuck on... I couldn't toggle the TSC on/off and ABS didn't work any more. It reset after I shut the car off and turned it back on, then was fine after that.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:48 PM
powermark

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Unpluging the ABS to my knowledge still does not allow you to do burnouts. That function is controlled at the ECU. You would have to remove the brake fuse still in order to do a standing burnout.
This is true

u dont need to pull anything under the hood, look under by your rear end, you will see 1 2-3 wire plug, it does the same thing and its super quick to get to.

being able to lock the front wheels will allow you to extend more, but i did it once and flat spotted the **** out of my front tires, so i just live with it.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:22 AM
gregom

What are you unplugging under the rear?
Old 03-11-2008, 03:49 AM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by gregom
I used to unplug the ABS fuse in my Hyundai Tiburon during autocross because it would activate when there was any wheel slip, front or back, thus causing the steering to get really heavy. Don't know about this in the Z... I don't have any problems drifting in my Z with the TCS off, and I don't have VDC or whatever.

I noticed one night when I was doing donuts in a parking lot, the ABS and SLIP light were stuck on... I couldn't toggle the TSC on/off and ABS didn't work any more. It reset after I shut the car off and turned it back on, then was fine after that.
all you have to do is lose control of a donut and over rotate to where the car stops going in a circle spins much quicker and ends up going backwards. Steps crank wheel to the side turn off vdc tcs whatever floor it and keep it up. Once the car going back around and your spinng tires while the car is moving backwards your good. vdc/ slip lights are both on.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 AM
ndizon42

I pull out the gray plug in the rear, im still looking for the thread to allow me to left foot brake.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:47 PM
powermark

its more complex but doable
Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 AM
Topics II

We unplug the ABS to drift 350Z's as well. It disconnects the ABS and traction control. It is simply the big plug on the side of the ABS motor. Pop it off and you are ready to go.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:06 PM
gregom

How does this help??? Alll I have to do is press the TCS off button and i'm good to go. How is the ABS hurting anything? You dont use your brakes when in an actual drift competition.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 AM
rhythmnsmoke

Originally Posted by gregom
How does this help??? Alll I have to do is press the TCS off button and i'm good to go. How is the ABS hurting anything? You dont use your brakes when in an actual drift competition.

Yes you do, it's called left foot braking. And the only reason why you have never used the brakes personally is because you have never been on a drift course that required you to do so. No offense, neither have I. But the in the Pro's, they do brake with their left foot.

Quick Reply: Anyone unplug thier abs before drifting?