Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

Overheating issue while drifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 03:35 PM
zerosec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Overheating issue while drifting

Hey Guys,
im currently running a greddy twin turbo kit on my Z, it has a Koyo radiator but with stock fans. im facing overheating problems specially while performing donuts or a figure of eights ,so basically this happens while im in 1st gear.
i was thinking of going with Mishimoto or Flex a lite dual fans...
anyone with this setup ???
Old 11-04-2012, 10:17 PM
whipitgood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not enough airflow probably
Old 11-05-2012, 02:09 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Low speed drift/donuts, high revs and a high heat twin setup! That's not an issue that's bound to happen?

Turbo blankets
Header wrap
Bigger radiator
Thermostat
Additives
Vented hood
Different style front bumper
Oil cooler
Old 11-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Deedilus

Originally Posted by KingBaby
Low speed drift/donuts, high revs and a high heat twin setup! That's not an issue that's bound to happen?

Turbo blankets
Header wrap
Bigger radiator
Thermostat
Additives
Vented hood
Oil cooler
^
This. I don't have a twin turbo kit, but I've never overheated while drifting, even in the Texas heat. I have:

Koyo race radiator
Stock thermostat
Different style front bumper (JP Vizage Type N, looks similar to Vertex with a lip added to it)
Oil Cooler
Flex-a-lite fans

Do you know if you're fans are kicking on? Can you hear them after you stop? You may just have an issue with the module that tells the fans to kick on. Hard to say, probably just not enough airflow and not enough heat dampening inside the engine bay. Those snails must get super hot.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 PM
pro_350z

Originally Posted by zerosec
Hey Guys,
im currently running a greddy twin turbo kit on my Z, it has a Koyo radiator but with stock fans. im facing overheating problems specially while performing donuts or a figure of eights ,so basically this happens while im in 1st gear.
i was thinking of going with Mishimoto or Flex a lite dual fans...
anyone with this setup ???
maybe you should try second gear to get more airflow through your radiator. Be careful not to boil your power steering pump cause i trashed mine after 3+ years of sliding
Old 11-10-2012, 10:47 AM
zerosec

Originally Posted by KingBaby

Turbo blankets
Header wrap
Bigger radiator
Thermostat
Additives
Vented hood
Oil cooler
Turbo blankets : Not installed ,and since the car is running now its a PITA to install them
Header wrap : done, kit already comes with heat wraps.
Bigger radiator : installed , koyo
Thermostat : installed , Nismo
Additives : Redine water weter
Vented hood : installed, seibon ts syle, ventes.
(also have over fenders , venter , seibon)
Different style front bumper : Nismo v2 . thing is that the FMIC is huge !
Old 11-10-2012, 10:51 AM
zerosec

Originally Posted by Deedilus
^
This. I don't have a twin turbo kit, but I've never overheated while drifting, even in the Texas heat. I have:

Koyo race radiator
Stock thermostat
Different style front bumper (JP Vizage Type N, looks similar to Vertex with a lip added to it)
Oil Cooler
Flex-a-lite fans

Do you know if you're fans are kicking on? Can you hear them after you stop? You may just have an issue with the module that tells the fans to kick on. Hard to say, probably just not enough airflow and not enough heat dampening inside the engine bay. Those snails must get super hot.
can you give me all the info i need to order these flex a lite fans ?
its a direct bolt on kit ?? is fitment an issue ?

stock fans are working perfectly... don't have any problems with modules etc..
Old 11-10-2012, 10:53 AM
zerosec

Originally Posted by pro_350z
maybe you should try second gear to get more airflow through your radiator. Be careful not to boil your power steering pump cause i trashed mine after 3+ years of sliding
hehe , im not facing any problems while drifting on higher gears bro, problem is when it comes to donuts and figure of eight where you hit the rev limiter on 1st gear.... i definitly need aftermarket fans, i guess that should fix over heating ...
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Deedilus

can you give me all the info i need to order these flex a lite fans ?
its a direct bolt on kit ?? is fitment an issue ?

stock fans are working perfectly... don't have any problems with modules etc..
The ones I have are Flex-a-lite 520 fans. In terms of size they are a perfect fit for Z radiators. Not direct bolt on kit, but then again it might be. My Z got all sorts of f***ed up front so I don't really have a lot of the bolts and brackets that are suppose to be there. I ended up having to fab some little brackets for it to sit on, wasn't hard at all.

You can either wire them up so that they'll kick on at a certain temp or you can just have them on a switch like I do. Just don't forget to flip the switch on, there have been a couple times I've driven home with no fans because I forget. Luckily mine has really good cooling without the fans.

http://www.frsport.com/Flex-A-Lite-4...M_p_12555.html
Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 PM
litoflow

My z was greddy twins as well I only overheated once because I had air in the system from when I removed the pipes. Make sure you don't have any air whatsoever and your coolant reservoir tank is on point. My aftermarket one was letting air in. U should try on better ventilation and adding a nice oil cooler. I would definitely upgrade stock radiator fans for sure!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM
zerosec

Originally Posted by litoflow
My z was greddy twins as well I only overheated once because I had air in the system from when I removed the pipes. Make sure you don't have any air whatsoever and your coolant reservoir tank is on point. My aftermarket one was letting air in. U should try on better ventilation and adding a nice oil cooler. I would definitely upgrade stock radiator fans for sure!
i already checked, no air in the system at all...
oil cooler is a must for a drift car , ur right, but installing isn't straight forward... already it has like 2 T oil line connectors ,and im afraid oil pressure will decrease once the cooler is installed.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 AM
zerosec

Originally Posted by Deedilus
The ones I have are Flex-a-lite 520 fans. In terms of size they are a perfect fit for Z radiators. Not direct bolt on kit, but then again it might be. My Z got all sorts of f***ed up front so I don't really have a lot of the bolts and brackets that are suppose to be there. I ended up having to fab some little brackets for it to sit on, wasn't hard at all.

You can either wire them up so that they'll kick on at a certain temp or you can just have them on a switch like I do. Just don't forget to flip the switch on, there have been a couple times I've driven home with no fans because I forget. Luckily mine has really good cooling without the fans.

http://www.frsport.com/Flex-A-Lite-4...M_p_12555.html
thanks for the help.
oh i dont think i'll be taking your route, no switch for me , ill just replace the OEM fans by these and have them work normally like old ones used to.
btw u mean 420 right ? i can't see 520 in the link u sent.
thanks !
Old 12-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Deedilus

Yeah, that was a typo my bad haha. Go for it, you'll like them! I know they keep my car cool!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:21 AM
litoflow

i already checked, no air in the system at all...
oil cooler is a must for a drift car , ur right, but installing isn't straight forward... already it has like 2 T oil line connectors ,and im afraid oil pressure will decrease once the cooler is installed.
oil pressure wont decrease. u are running the oil cooler thru the oil filter not thru the t fittings. i know what you mean. i had the same set up but u can run oil cooler without any issues trust me. there will b no oil pressure issues. you may have to buy longer oil return lines for the turbos. peace of cake.