Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Have a used '03 in my sights... questions about rust.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Sea Bass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a used '03 in my sights... questions about rust.

Long story short, I'm about to close down a deal on a used Z (my dream car for years now!), which is being sold out of a Dodge dealership (lol). The car drove fine, tracked arrow straight, and made all its power. It's only got 44000 km on it, and the interior is flawless, with a small scratch on the pass. door that the dealership agreed (in writing) to fix completely (re: re-do the damn door) before I buy it.

So, I got the VIN, and ran a Carfax. No problems at all. Buut....

I noticed the car getting serviced and racking up kms between periods of fall and middle of winter. That tells me the car has seen snow, and likely salt.

I never got a chance to get underneath the car, and because I work crazy hours and so do all my friends right now, I can't get a chance to see the car again until next Saturday when I'm supposed to pick it up. Like I said earlier, from studying the car intently from the outside, everything looked great (the rotors showed surface rust spots, but I don't find that alarming in even a one year old car).

How bad are these babies for rust? Aside from getting the car on a hoist and checking out the underbody and frame, is there anything else I can do? Let's say it has even the *slightest* hint of rust somewhere, does anyone have any advice on what can be done, or should I just abandon ship at the first sighting?

Any advice here is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Jenn350Z

It shouldn't be a concern. The car is still to be considered newer.
Some things may have surface rust on them underneath but it will be a long long time before anything is to be considered serious.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:45 AM
Sea Bass

Thanks for the help!

Well, after research, carfax, and the knowledge that the frame is aluminum and will NOT rust, I thought it was an easy decision. I picked it up yesterday afternoon in London, and drove it back to Ottawa via 115 and 7 (401 SUCKS!). This is a match made in heaven. I know it's stock, and you guys will laugh, but for me, the torque of this car when I stomp on it is just awesome! I love starting from a standstill and rocketing off to have my spine realigned just as much as I love being in 6th gear at 100km/h (behind some slow-***), then pulling out and flooring it without downshifting and feeling the torque curve pull me smoothly up to speeds the police would find quite interesting. I love this car!

Pics to come up shortly. And if the damned weather ever clears, I'll even get a proper photoshoot in the Gatineau before week's end. Too bad I won't get to drive it after this week until March (going away, work related).
Old 10-22-2006, 09:47 AM
thirty5ounces

Originally Posted by Jenn350Z
It shouldn't be a concern. The car is still to be considered newer.
Some things may have surface rust on them underneath but it will be a long long time before anything is to be considered serious.

+1 i wouldnt worry about, glad to see your getting your dream car
Old 10-22-2006, 12:06 PM
GEE35X

Congratz on your Dream Z, look forward to the pics.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:05 PM
Sea Bass

Originally Posted by GEE35X
Congratz on your Dream Z, look forward to the pics.

Thanks, everyone. Pics can be found here
Old 10-22-2006, 06:11 PM
GEE35X

Sweet car and great pics, you will have fun with that ride .