Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Importing 350Z from US?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BatmanJohnson
I wonder if a guy from the US who wants to move his car fast would be willing to drive it up to Canada for a buyer. I think I could avoid all the border expenses, and can offer him extra for his car.
^IMO, anyone who would, should be avoided at all cost.
You must ask yourself, why would the seller be willing to take such a risk?...
Would he be trustworthy?.. Considering such a transaction is illegal..... i would assume "NO"!

Originally Posted by iwantaz123
I Have A 2005 Nissan 350z Roadster With 12,000 Miles On It, Touring Edition Redline For Sale Here In The States, I Would Be Willing To Export It To Canada, Im Selling It For Only 23,000, Anybody Interested? Of Course, The Money Transfer Would Be Sketchy, But There Is A Way To Do A Safe Transaction For Both Of Us.
Thanks
-brett
^Case in point. You forgot to mention that the vehicle has a rebuilt title,
and of course the Bold/Underline/Italic type is priceless....
Old 07-30-2007, 10:17 PM
typespirit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so anyone know any dealers that help with buying vehicles from US, namely from ebaymotor auctions? once in a while i do see some fantastic steals there...
Old 07-31-2007, 04:50 AM
Doba

Canadian Auto Associates in Guelph, Ontario. www.canadianautoassociates.com,
If they don't have the car you want, they will get it for you. Keep in mind that as a dealer you still pay the 14% sales taxes.
You'll save more money by going down and getting it yourself but if you go the dealer route at least they take care of everything...shipping it, licensing, certifications ect..., they even provide a CarFax report to show you the vehicle history.
I spoke with a Nissan service manager just up the street from them and they do all there DRL modifications. They had only good things to say about Canadian Auto Associates.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:15 AM
Shorlaw2004

I purchased my 04 roadster last month with 11,000 miles from Canadian Auto Associates and was happy with the deal. They were professional and not too pushy, and everything went smoothly. They did take care of all US to Canadian paperwork, and Guelph Nissan any required modifications including the DRL's. They did mention that they were willing to find me exactly what I wanted from the US if they didn't have it on their lot, lucky for me they did though. Not sure if I got the best deal in the world, and maybe could have gotten it cheaper if I'd investigated it more, but I was happy and didn't want the hassle.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Importing 350Z from US?-350z.jpg  
Old 07-31-2007, 08:54 AM
Smasher

Originally Posted by Shorlaw2004
I purchased my 04 roadster last month with 11,000 miles from Canadian Auto Associates and was happy with the deal. They were professional and not too pushy, and everything went smoothly. They did take care of all US to Canadian paperwork, and Guelph Nissan any required modifications including the DRL's. They did mention that they were willing to find me exactly what I wanted from the US if they didn't have it on their lot, lucky for me they did though. Not sure if I got the best deal in the world, and maybe could have gotten it cheaper if I'd investigated it more, but I was happy and didn't want the hassle.

Mark
Hey Mark,
I bought my 2004 roadster from Canadian Auto Associates in May this year. At the time it was the best price I could find. It only had 6K miles on it. My experience was good with these guys. It sounds like I could have saved a lot more now if I Imported a car on my own.

Are you in the Guelph area?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:21 PM
typespirit

how much did the dealer charge u as service fee? is this normally a % based on the price? tks in advance!
Old 07-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Smasher

The dealer I delt with Canadian Auto Associates only imports and re-sells US cars they dont ecen sell Cdn cars. I got a few thou off there asking price but no where near some of these $20K numbers guys are posting for similar cars. You will have to contact them to see if they would bring in a car specific for you, i would thnk they would but have no idea what price it would be. I would be pizzed if its any where near the 20k number after what i spent but there you go.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:53 PM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Smasher
Hey Mark,
I bought my 2004 roadster from Canadian Auto Associates in May this year. At the time it was the best price I could find. It only had 6K miles on it. My experience was good with these guys. It sounds like I could have saved a lot more now if I Imported a car on my own.

I was interested in buying a car during the winter from Canadian Auto Associates. I went there and the salesperson had told me the car I was interested in was at Nissan for a "transmission recall". He said the car was perfectly fine and that they just needed it fixed because they couldn't sell the car with dealer recalls not done to it. Sort of made sense I guess, except I couldnt find any recalls on the tranny (maybe im wrong?). It all seemed weird to me, but I was still interested in this car. The sales guy told gave me a date that the dealer promised to have the car back by. I had contacted the salesperson on that date, he told me they didnt have the car and I dont need to contact him again because he'd let me know as soon as it returned. A couple days past and I had heard nothing, so I contacted him again. He had told me the car came back and was sold. That was my first and only experience with these guys and all in all, it wasn't good and seemed super fishy. I will not deal with them ever again.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:00 PM
Smasher

Originally Posted by bender
I was interested in buying a car during the winter from Canadian Auto Associates. I went there and the salesperson had told me the car I was interested in was at Nissan for a "transmission recall". He said the car was perfectly fine and that they just needed it fixed because they couldn't sell the car with dealer recalls not done to it. Sort of made sense I guess, except I couldnt find any recalls on the tranny (maybe im wrong?). It all seemed weird to me, but I was still interested in this car. The sales guy told gave me a date that the dealer promised to have the car back by. I had contacted the salesperson on that date, he told me they didnt have the car and I dont need to contact him again because he'd let me know as soon as it returned. A couple days past and I had heard nothing, so I contacted him again. He had told me the car came back and was sold. That was my first and only experience with these guys and all in all, it wasn't good and seemed super fishy. I will not deal with them ever again.
Yeah that's not good. I'm sure there are stories with all car dealers though and different sales guys unfortunately give you different service levels. I can say it took two mths for them to get the extra key for me that was promised. They said the Nissan dealer ship misplaced the order.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:36 AM
Shorlaw2004

I don't know them well enough to vouch for them, all I can say is I was satisfied with the service I received. The DVD for the nav system was missing, and they ordered it and I had it within a week after picking up the car. I'm sure I could have saved more going the route of bringing up a US car myself, but I definitely paid less than I could have got a comparable Canadian car for.

Originally Posted by Smasher

Coincidentally I used to live in Fergus, then Elora, and a year ago I moved to Campbellville.

Mark
Old 08-01-2007, 06:47 PM
neospice

I just imported a car from Columbus OH to Toronto and it went very smooth. I bought a used 2005 black Z with 19k miles from a BMW dealership and it was great (Kelly BMW are good guys). Basically i went down, checked the car out, did some paperwork, and wired the money when I got back. A week later I flew down and the guy picked me up from the airport and I drove off... I paid $23K US for it and its in great condition. Only problem now is getting the daytime running lights, lol.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:28 PM
striker27

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You dont really need the DRL...
Old 08-02-2007, 05:13 AM
Doba

without DTL the car wont pass RIV.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:14 AM
Doba

Originally Posted by neospice
I just imported a car from Columbus OH to Toronto and it went very smooth. I bought a used 2005 black Z with 19k miles from a BMW dealership and it was great (Kelly BMW are good guys). Basically i went down, checked the car out, did some paperwork, and wired the money when I got back. A week later I flew down and the guy picked me up from the airport and I drove off... I paid $23K US for it and its in great condition. Only problem now is getting the daytime running lights, lol.
wanna explain your buying process? more info of what went on at the border, how long it all took and so on? congrats on your purchase
Old 08-02-2007, 08:28 AM
iwantaz123

Originally Posted by Reality350
^IMO, anyone who would, should be avoided at all cost.
You must ask yourself, why would the seller be willing to take such a risk?...
Would he be trustworthy?.. Considering such a transaction is illegal..... i would assume "NO"!

^Case in point. You forgot to mention that the vehicle has a rebuilt title,
and of course the Bold/Underline/Italic type is priceless....
ACTUALLY, I'M NOT FRAUDULENT AT ALL. I DIDN'T KNOW THE PROCEDURES OF A TRANSACTION FROM USA TO CANADA. I SAID IT MAY BE SKETCHY BECAUSE FOR ME, IT WOULD BE SKETCHY. I WOULDN'T WANT TO GET ROBBED OR SOMETHING ELSE. I DON'T APPRECIATE YOU CALLING ME OUT LIKE THAT, LIKE IM SOME SCAMMER. I HAVE SOME RATING ON THIS SITE, AND I HAVE A LOT OF FEEDBACK FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE PURCHASED VEHICLES FROM ME AND LOVE THEM. SO MAYBE BE CAREFUL WITH WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT SOMEBODY YOU DONT KNOW.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:13 AM
noodleman

too bad all the ratings on this site are him as the buyer, not the seller.

Let Me Know If Anybody Would Be Interested In Buyin My 2005 Redline 350z. It Has 12,000 Miles And A Rebuilt Title. It Was Completely Fixed By A Professionaly Mechanic And I Have Receipts To Prove. It Was Fixed Right At The Dealership. It Is In Perfect Condition. The Reason Why I Would Be Willing To Sell To Canada, Is Because I Can Get More Money By Exporting It.
Let Me Know If You Are Interested!
Thanks
-brett
https://my350z.com/forum/east-canada/286676-will-drive-to-canada-or-export-350z-touring-roadster-12-000-miles-2005-a.html

I don't think we want to turn this thread into another point and laugh thread.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Reality350

ACTUALLY, I'M NOT FRAUDULENT AT ALL. I DIDN'T KNOW THE PROCEDURES OF A TRANSACTION FROM USA TO CANADA. I SAID IT MAY BE SKETCHY BECAUSE FOR ME, IT WOULD BE SKETCHY. I WOULDN'T WANT TO GET ROBBED OR SOMETHING ELSE. I DON'T APPRECIATE YOU CALLING ME OUT LIKE THAT, LIKE IM SOME SCAMMER. I HAVE SOME RATING ON THIS SITE, AND I HAVE A LOT OF FEEDBACK FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE PURCHASED VEHICLES FROM ME AND LOVE THEM. SO MAYBE BE CAREFUL WITH WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT SOMEBODY YOU DONT KNOW.
Please leave and peddle your snake oil in another forum.

Thanks,
Old 08-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Last year I purchased a 2003 G35 with areo pack and Brembos for $21,000US a similar car at a stealership in my town was going for $35,000CAD at the boarder I payed GST (from alberta)and Duty(the car is assembled in the USA but made in Japan). It was very simple the worst part was dealing with RIVs incompetence they kept saying my recall clearence letter would not work when I would phone and ask why I never really got a straight answer so I kept sending them the same letter (from Nissan USA) finally one day they accepted it. The other snag was the DRL the Nissan dealer ship wanted $1000-$1200 I found a small shop that did it for $300.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:50 PM
striker27

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Ontario and I dont have the DRL's on my car it passed just fine. In fact I have 5 cars with out the DRL's so it must be where you are getting the car saftied or they dont bother here. NO idea..
Old 08-02-2007, 08:21 PM
neospice

Originally Posted by Doba
wanna explain your buying process? more info of what went on at the border, how long it all took and so on? congrats on your purchase
Sure, I'll try and as concise as possible. I called the guy up when i saw it on cars.com, he never sold to a Canadian but he said he was going to look into whats involved and call me back the next day. Called me back, basically told me I wouldn't have to pay tax on it and that they treat me like an out of state buyer. He gave me the VIN #, I verified with Nissan USA that it had no recalls (can't pass inspection if you have recalls outstanding) and told him I'd come on the weekend to check it out. Arrived on a Saturday, looked the car over with my dad took it for a test drive and decided i wanted to buy it... went inside, did the preliminary paperwork where he basically got my all my info such as name, address, and current insurance company. They gave me a bill of sale there as well. This was so that all the paperwork would be ready when I wired the money. First thing Monday morning, I wired the money (they didn't need a deposit to secure the car - took my word for it) and called him up giving him the US border (ambassador bridge) fax # for him to fax the title. Once he did that, I called to confirm that they received it and scheduled to arrive on Friday to pick it up (US border needs 72 hours advance notice). He did the paperwork there which involved arranging a temporary plate and title transfer to my name. I called up insurance company and they asked for a carproof of the car and for me to fax a bill of sale, which I did and they OK'd it. Arrived there Friday by plane ($150 plane ticket) and he picked me up - at that point, everything was done and he gave me the keys, books, signed the Bill of Sale, gave me the title, and the temporary plate was already on the car. Once I picked it up from them, I drove to the nearest Nissan dealership and asked them to print a recall listing and stamp it with their dealer stamp - basically proof that there is no recalls. Drove to the US border cargo inspection facility, showed them the transferred title in my name along with my license and they stamped the title (after 5 mins) and off I went to the Canadian side. At the Canadian side I told them I was importing a vehicle and they told me to go in the office. From there they looked at the Bill of Sale, charged 6.1% duty, 6% GST, and $100 A/C tax. They also told me to pay the RIV fee ($200) online. After paying them (took about 15 mins), they stamped my Form 1 and I went home. The next day I went directly to the RIV office, showed them my Form 1 and recall clearance and 10 mins later they gave me the inspection form. I'm at the point now where I need to get Daytime Running Lights so I can pass the inspection and a local nissan dealership quoted me $200 labour if I have the module ($30 at CDN tire).

Quick Reply: Importing 350Z from US?