Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Importing 350Z from US?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 11:18 PM
BatmanJohnson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing 350Z from US?

With the canadian dollar so close to USD, I was wondering if it's feasible to import a Z from the states. It's really annoying that Nissan Canada doesn't offer the base model here because I'm perfectly ok with the base model. The base model is around 28k USD which I'm guessing is roughly 30-31kCDN.

I've looked into a bit of the process of importing a car. As far as I can tell, importing 350z is legal. But I have heard mixed response in terms of factory warranty being void if it's imported. In terms of fees here's what I've come up with. As a Canadian citizen, you don't have to pay tax when purchasing in the US. When you bring it to the border, you pay your GST like all Canadians do. Pay duty which is I think 6.1% if a vehicle was not made in North America. Once you're pass the border, you have to certify it so that it meets Canadian standards. When you go register for insurance, that's when you pay the PST. However, if you import it through Alberta, then there is no PST. Is it possible to import it through Alberta if you're not a resident in that province?

Can anyone who is familiar with the process tell me if I might have missed anything major. I know there are forms and stuff you have to fill out, and insurance to get if you plan on driving it back into Canada. Those are pretty minor.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:58 AM
bikesbikes

rsuqadron just brought one up from the states.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:20 AM
SICZ2NV

i was thinking about doing the same...grabbing a used one though..either redline or PPW
Old 06-18-2007, 09:24 AM
XuperXero

The warranty is honoured by Nissan, only if the car has been in the states for more than 6 months. So basically, after you buy it, it has to be registered for 6 months before you can try to transfer warranty into Canada. Your best bet is buying a used car.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^+100000000
Old 06-18-2007, 11:25 AM
locknut

Default just bought one from the states....

i recently had an 03 track pack, was tired of it and tired of the fact it didnt come with leather interior, seats had started to wear and it was done with the factory warranty so i was thinking time to upgrade and get the model i really wanted....

so i just bought one from the states.....it is an 06 carbon silver color( the darker grey one), black leather, with the orange stitching and most importantly Brembo's!!!! and its rollin on 20's, the only thing i would say is that there is a 6% sales tax on imports...however i was able to get it from an auction, so it was dirty cheap.

if you want someone to do all the work i would suggest prestige motors, i know for a fact he has an 05 from the states sitting there as well as 2 or 3 03
models. ask for Flavio Arconti, if he doesnt have what your looking for he will get as i know he travels every wednesday for the thursday auctions in Newyork. it takes about 1 week for the car to get here.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:02 PM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a couple dealers in Ontario who do this themselves. They buy cars from the States to sell here for a big profit. Ofcourse, they usually carry a couple 350z's at a time. I believe one dealership is OLD MILL (Bloor & Jane) and their sister dealership which I can't remember. At the time when I was looking for a Z, they had three which were all American. Most of there others were American too (including an s2000). I came really close to buying one, since the Z's they were selling were a bit cheaper than what was on the market. After thinking about it for awhile, I came to the conclusion that the Z was better off being bought Canadian. Here's some things to consider:
  • Obviously, your cluster will read MPH
  • Your trip computer, which also can tell you your speed, CAN'T be changed from MPH to KPH. This is a big deal to me now considering I use the trip computer 100% of the time and never use the cluster for speed read out.
  • Your trip computer which also tells you temperature, wont be reading in celcius
  • Trip computer will read MILES till Empty tank, not KM
  • etc

No one has really come out with a solution to this although its been asked here plenty of times. I believe you have to replace the trip computer gauge itself. Someone did this is a g35 and it worked (F to C), never heard anything for a 350 though. If it can be fixed, i'd say it's worth it. For me personally though, the Z had too many features which made use of speed, distance, weather, etc. It wasn't like an s2000 where the digital cluster could be switched over to KM with the push of a button. But then again, some people would feel the savings in cash would all be worth it. Just one more thing to consider when buying an American Z.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:35 PM
kingrukus

I am highly interested in importing a used 03 6 speed base to Canada very soon. Does anyone have any other tips? Any major recalls that need to be done beforehand on an 03 model? I heard that there is a recall for the seats?
Old 06-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^guages can be easily swapped out, sheck4 has done this already.

And it only takes grade school math to do the conversions in your head...

OP, good luck with your purchase.
My only advice to you is that you take your time looking and DO NOT COMPROMISE. Stand firm with what you want, and do not accept anything less.

Cheers,

Last edited by Reality350; 06-18-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:55 PM
240Zplus110

I'm in Vancouver area (Delta) and I imported a used 2006 350z enthusiast -- had 5500 mi on the odo. Warranty was fully transferrable since it had been registered in the US for just over 6 months.

PM me if you want more info.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:51 PM
kingrukus

Hey guys, how do I check to see if the vehicle has any lien against it? It would be a nightmare to deal with such a scenerio after purchasing it.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:39 PM
BatmanJohnson

Wow, thanks so much for all the responses. Very informative I thought I was all alone on this topic because I missed some major hidden fee. I almost wish that the Z were assembled in the US so that there wouldn't be the 6% duty lol.

@bikesbikes ty I will send him a PM and ask him

@locknut Congrats, Brembos are awesome. Was it from eBay motors or through the prestige dealer? I'm not in the GTA area. Would you mind running me thru some of the cost and the final cost that was involved please?

@bender Yea, I was hoping the gauges would be all digital so that it could be switched like S2000, but the cost difference is big enough for me to learn the imperial system lol.

@Reality350 That's good advice, especially with buying used. I definitely won't be rushing into a used one just because I can't wait.

@240plus110 Ty, I live in the Vancouver area as well, PM sent.

Last edited by BatmanJohnson; 06-18-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Phatty

Hi guys, I'm pretty new here, but a buddy of mine (noodleman/J) fwds me lots of stuff to admire =)

I'm interested in bringing in a used G35C from Buffalo, but most of the information I've found is regarding new cars:
http://www.riv.ca
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=307601
http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/f...ad.php?t=92953

For those who have imported used cars from the US, could you tell me what additional steps are required for used cars? A couple of questions I can think of:
1. Are there dealers/agents that would do this for you?
2. Any inspection/certification required in the US?
3. Do you still have to pay GST when it's used?
etc...

Thanks! -- David
Old 06-19-2007, 02:31 PM
240Zplus110

1. Yes.. for a fee ($2K-4K I've heard)
2. You will need a Recall Clearance letter from Infiniti stating that all outstanding warranty recall work has been completed. This is detailed at the RIV site
3. GST is due and payable in full at the Cdn border.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:51 PM
240Zplus110

...continued

4. Daytime Running lights, Airbag warning sign in French as well as English, Child seat restraint clips... are a few of the typical things to do to bring car in compliance with Cdn regulations.
5. Depending on dealer in US, you may have to pay local state tax. General rule is that if wheels touch the ground you have to pay the tax. I don't believe it is applicable to private sales as long as car is never registered in that state.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:17 PM
XuperXero

I can do #1. Let me know, we can work out a price.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:32 AM
Phatty

Thanks for the info guys - I forgot to mention, I was interested in a private sale, so it sounds like:
- I only need to do the regular certification/emission in Canada
- won't have to pay local US tax
- but still have to pay GST+PST in Canada
?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:28 AM
240Zplus110

Here are some rough numbers for you based on my importing process

Car price US$24K converted to C$
Duty = $1650
GST = $1610
PST = $1610
Inspections (Fed & Prov) = $175
DRL install = $280

Total = C$33K for a 2006 Z Enthusiast trim with 5500mi on it
Local dealer was asking C$39K for an imported 2004 with 9000mi on it (plus add PST & GST)

No brainer for me -- Why give the dealers $8K-10K for them to import and resell to me??

Last edited by 240Zplus110; 06-20-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:05 AM
BlackZ06

My 06 was a US car and it had 3000 Miles on it when it came over. Its a great thing when you can import these cars at a fraction of the cost. I got a stock car so now I can modd it accordingly instead of paying for all the extras.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:27 PM
240Zplus110

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
My 06 was a US car and it had 3000 Miles on it when it came over. Its a great thing when you can import these cars at a fraction of the cost. I got a stock car so now I can modd it accordingly instead of paying for all the extras.
Exactly...
I spent some of my savings on a complete new stereo install.

Quick Reply: Importing 350Z from US?