Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

No Z for 10 months for me (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:01 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts
Default No Z for 10 months for me (long post)

Well, as some of you in the East Canada forum may know, I've been running into some trouble with insurance on my Z.

It all started with a phone call I made to Statefarm to declare the modifications I had done, incase they had issue with it. I wanted to be an honest guy, and I wanted to be covered in the event of an accident. Before this, all of my problems were under the radar.

Of course they did have issue with my "minor" modifications including a plenum spacer, exhaust, wheels and tires, and Eibach Pro kit springs. I also have the Stoptech Stage 2 kit, which is an OEM parts replacement kit with upgraded components.

I got notification at the end of August that my Z would not be renewed for coverage. I had broken rule NC12 "The insured vehicle has been altered in a significant fashion from the original manufacturer's design"
I called a few brokers, and it seems that due to my 3 minor traffic infractions since moving up to Petawawa, no new insurance company wants me. I have no claims or accidents.
Apparently there are some new insurance rules in Ontario.

So my Z sits in limbo, at the very least until August 13th 2008, or until it is sold.

If you are wondering about the tickets. I do have 3 points against my license. I moved from a big city where 20 over was no big deal, and police never stopped me, to a very small town in a very poor county where there was nothing else to do but patrol traffic and "speeding". On a Friday I honestly drive through about 6 speed traps.

I was pulled over in the Z for the first time ever Aug 12th 2005. I was headed to my brother's birthday party. A red dodge ram blew past me, so I figured I was safe doing 30 over the limit of 80.
A cop saw the truck and myself, and I thought, oh man that truck is gonna get it. The cop turned on his lights, and pulled me over to my surprise. I was honest, polite and direct with the officer. I'm in the army, my dad is a police officer as well. I made no excuses or attempts to get out of the ticket. Whatever his reasons were he gave me nearly the full ticket and points.

The second ticket happened late at night in the 1st quarter of 2006. I was headed home from the airport in my Hyundai Accent, driving about 110 in a 90, in a group of cars headed down a two lane rd. The back car was riding my bumper, he eventually pulled out, swung around the group and pulled in front of the train of cars. Not 20 seconds later a police car came over the crest of the hill in the dark and threw it's lights on. It swung around and picked me off. The officer said she got me doing 117 in a 90. I was very polite with her, and she was nice enough to bump the ticket down to 106 in a 90.

The third ticket happened this summer. A few weeks ago. I was driving the accent again, after work to go pick up the Z. I pulled out onto the same 90km/h highway and while accelerating to avoid the traffic coming up behind me somehow got the accent up to 115 km/h. A police officer driving the other way stopped me. Once again I was extremely polite. The officer bumped it down to 110 in a 90.

An interesting side note: All 3 officers asked me my job in an off the cuff way. My dad is a police officer as well, and while it is against regulations where he is from, he said it was used as a way to gauge income. Tickets are given to those who can pay, and warnings are given to those who cannot in the eyes of the officer. Not 1 month before I was pulled over, a buddy of mine was pulled over going 10km/h faster than I was in an SUV on the same road. He lied and said he was a dental assistant. He was let off with a warning. My girlfriends friend was pulled over doing 50 over with expired plates and no proof of insurance. She lied about knowing the cheif of police, and was called on it. She was let off with a warning. My brother was pulled over in his Cobalt in the same area. He lied to the officer about not knowing the posted limit, because he was new to the area, and got off with a warning.

Besides the mistake of not ensuring I was going the speed limit, I made the mistake of not fighting these tickets. If just one had been dismissed I would not be in the mess I am in today.

Now I am fearful that Statefarm, the very company I hate will find out about these 3 infractions that I have and somehow disown my Hyundai Accent as well. I had a bunch of plans for the car over the winter. Some parts are on the way right now. But they will not be installed.

So that is my sad sad story.

Selling the Z and my parts remains a possibility. It's that or return it to stock and see if Statefarm will pick it up again. Maybe once my 3 infractions are gone I can modify it again with a specialty insurer.

Last edited by 2TH PWR; 09-11-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mike...

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
Well, as some of you in the East Canada forum may know, I've been running into some trouble with insurance on my Z.

It all started with a phone call I made to Statefarm to declare the modifications I had done, incase they had issue with it. I wanted to be an honest guy, and I wanted to be covered in the event of an accident. Before this, all of my problems were under the radar.

Of course they did have issue with my "minor" modifications including a plenum spacer, exhaust, wheels and tires, and Eibach Pro kit springs. I also have the Stoptech Stage 2 kit, which is an OEM parts replacement kit with upgraded components.

I got notification at the end of August that my Z would not be renewed for coverage. I had broken rule NC12 "The insured vehicle has been altered in a significant fashion from the original manufacturer's design"
I called a few brokers, and it seems that due to my 3 minor traffic infractions since moving up to Petawawa, no new insurance company wants me. I have no claims or accidents.
Apparently there are some new insurance rules in Ontario.

So my Z sits in limbo, at the very least until August 13th 2008, or until it is sold.

If you are wondering about the tickets. I do have 3 points against my license. I moved from a big city where 20 over was no big deal, and police never stopped me, to a very small town in a very poor county where there was nothing else to do but patrol traffic and "speeding". On a Friday I honestly drive through about 6 speed traps.

I was pulled over in the Z for the first time ever Aug 12th 2005. I was headed to my brother's birthday party. A red dodge ram blew past me, so I figured I was safe doing 30 over the limit of 80.
A cop saw the truck and myself, and I thought, oh man that truck is gonna get it. The cop turned on his lights, and pulled me over to my surprise. I was honest, polite and direct with the officer. I'm in the army, my dad is a police officer as well. I made no excuses or attempts to get out of the ticket. Whatever his reasons were he gave me nearly the full ticket and points.

The second ticket happened late at night in the 1st quarter of 2006. I was headed home from the airport in my Hyundai Accent, driving about 110 in a 90, in a group of cars headed down a two lane rd. The back car was riding my bumper, he eventually pulled out, swung around the group and pulled in front of the train of cars. Not 20 seconds later a police car came over the crest of the hill in the dark and threw it's lights on. It swung around and picked me off. The officer said she got me doing 117 in a 90. I was very polite with her, and she was nice enough to bump the ticket down to 106 in a 90.

The third ticket happened this summer. A few weeks ago. I was driving the accent again, after work to go pick up the Z. I pulled out onto the same 90km/h highway and while accelerating to avoid the traffic coming up behind me somehow got the accent up to 115 km/h. A police officer driving the other way stopped me. Once again I was extremely polite. The officer bumped it down to 110 in a 90.

An interesting side note: All 3 officers asked me my job in an off the cuff way. My dad is a police officer as well, and while it is against regulations where he is from, he said it was used as a way to gauge income. Tickets are given to those who can pay, and warnings are given to those who cannot in the eyes of the officer. Not 1 month before I was pulled over, a buddy of mine was pulled over going 10km/h faster than I was in an SUV on the same road. He lied and said he was a dental assistant. He was let off with a warning. My girlfriends friend was pulled over doing 50 over with expired plates and no proof of insurance. She lied about knowing the cheif of police, and was called on it. She was let off with a warning. My brother was pulled over in his Cobalt in the same area. He lied to the officer about not knowing the posted limit, because he was new to the area, and got off with a warning.

Besides the mistake of not ensuring I was going the speed limit, I made the mistake of not fighting these tickets. If just one had been dismissed I would not be in the mess I am in today.

Now I am fearful that Statefarm, the very company I hate will find out about these 3 infractions that I have and somehow disown my Hyundai Accent as well. I had a bunch of plans for the car over the winter. Some parts are on the way right now. But they will not be installed.

So that is my sad sad story.

Selling the Z and my parts remains a possibility. It's that or return it to stock and see if Statefarm will pick it up again. Maybe once my 3 infractions are gone I can modify it again with a specialty insurer.
talking to you on MSN right now! Chill...we can figure this out.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:07 PM
xdragus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn feel bad about this...esp since those mods are minor and help improve the car. Thats what i hate about insurance companies...you see these crap mobiles on the road that can cause an accident with a wheel flying off or the brakes dying yet they are insured...then compare to a car thats maintained well and has all these upgrades that are better than oem and it gets the shaft. bleh.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Lightbulb Actually...

Originally Posted by xdragus
damn feel bad about this...esp since those mods are minor and help improve the car. Thats what i hate about insurance companies...you see these crap mobiles on the road that can cause an accident with a wheel flying off or the brakes dying yet they are insured...then compare to a car thats maintained well and has all these upgrades that are better than oem and it gets the shaft. bleh.
poorly maintained or operated vehicles are judged on other varying degrees of underwriting and claim factors in addition to those that are maintained and modified. This is done to protect all risks in terms of legal requirements, financial value and insurable integrity.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Smasher

2TH PWR

You can get through this. I know exactly how you feel I was not sleeping right until I got hooked up with Pilot insurance and got an appraisal for my car.

It appears it is getting more difficult to get insurance for a modified car though and its not right.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:16 PM
StraySheep

It seems you have 2 options.

1. Sell your Z and all the mods.
2. Return your Z to stock, get it insured again, then put the mods back on and do not tell the insurance company. ie. Not insuring the mods.

I would go with option 2.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Smasher

Option 2 does not always work. I was told buy the insurance co that canceled me they could walk away from ALL claims because i did not disclose what i had on the car. I did not check with my Laywer on this but i was very close to doing so.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Default This is...

Originally Posted by Smasher
Option 2 does not always work. I was told buy the insurance co that canceled me they could walk away from ALL claims because i did not disclose what i had on the car. I did not check with my Laywer on this but i was very close to doing so.
correct.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:49 PM
KickMeInTheJunk

****ty, ****ty deal dude. I'm still grappling with understanding how insurance companies work in Ontario (originally from BC). It's surprising they treat people like this, most companies do everything they can to take your money from you I guess this is one of the few industries that doesn't.

Fortunately, the Z is a fantastic car stock (I know this, I've only adjusted my seat position and mirrors ), and it may be worth returning to stock temporarily until your record is a bit cleaner, then start looking for an insurer that is cool with your car, record and potential mods (the ones secretly stashed in your garage ).

Hope it all works out for you, selling a Z over this debacle would be sacrilegious!

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:47 PM
ZlleH

We are screwed either way when you think about it. If you claim the mods, they will say they can't insure you. If you don't claim the mods, if you get into an accident, they could say that they don't have to pay for any damages since you broke the rules on modding the car(the adjuster will likely investigate and spot the mods of the car after the accident).

It seems the only reason not to to tell the insurance company is because you need insurance to drive and not for "insurance" since you know there is a pretty good chance they won't insure you if you get into an accident. lol
Old 09-12-2007, 08:55 AM
2TH PWR

It's like smasher said. Buy a vette or a viper and it's all good. Modify your car you're a criminal.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, I never heard that, as some insurance companies even offer parts coverage for modifications..
Old 09-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Reality350

Yo mike,

thats some crappy news.. Keep looking man, I am sure you will find some way around this.

Mike (RB), help Mike (2thpwr). We gota keep the Z family together..

Good luck bro, let us know how things pan out for you.

Church
Old 09-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Default Hey Mike...

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
It's like smasher said. Buy a vette or a viper and it's all good. Modify your car you're a criminal.
you know better then this as per our discussion on rate groups last nite

Sign in man...let me know how it went.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Thumbs up Church...

Originally Posted by Reality350
Yo mike,

thats some crappy news.. Keep looking man, I am sure you will find some way around this.

Mike (RB), help Mike (2thpwr). We gota keep the Z family together..

Good luck bro, let us know how things pan out for you.

Church
not a problem. Wheels are in motion...and I am assisting 2thpwr as well.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:11 PM
2TH PWR

Well Risky man had some decent advice. He put me in contact with a company called Easyway which is the first brokerage to offer to insure me with a cmpany called Perth insurance. If I want to insure the Z modified I will need to go through a company called Facility, and they will require an appraisal. Perth will be $4670 per year with both my cars. If i want to go with facility with the Z modified, it will be more, maybe 5500 to 6000 a year.
OH well. We will see what happens?
Old 09-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Smasher

Good to here Mike.

Facility was the name I was looking for. They were my back up, a little more expensive but at least you can get insurance.

I was talking to a younger guy yesterday at a car stereo show and hes paying about what you are being quoted just for his cavalier so....

It's no wonder why insurance companies make Billions of dollars in profit!
Old 09-13-2007, 03:09 AM
cribbie

what would happen if you were to put your car back to stock?
Old 09-13-2007, 04:10 AM
2TH PWR

Originally Posted by cribbie
what would happen if you were to put your car back to stock?
It would be easy to insure both,
But that's no fun, if I wanted a stock car, I'd drive a Vette or a Viper
Old 09-13-2007, 08:29 AM
cribbie

trust me im all about standing out form the norm, and i know it wouldnt be fun, but paying five grand a month isnt fun either.... i would enjoy my stock Z and paying normal insurence rather then getting rapped for having some minor mods

Quick Reply: No Z for 10 months for me (long post)