Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

drop advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008 | 09:28 AM
AVmagneticZ

Default drop advice

lookin to get springs either the swift spec r or sport mach. I've never had a lowered car on our pothole filled roads so I'm wondering if the spec r's are to low with a 1.2" f and 1"r drop. or the sport Mach with .8"f and .6"r? so if u can give me any input on how low i should drop it i dont have a bodykit just front lip and 19's with +12 all around. i wanna go for the spec r's just wonderin if itll be to low
Old 03-02-2008 | 01:28 PM
AVmagneticZ

ive got 5 springs writtin down as ive been readin some info on searches ive done. just thinkin whats to low for our roads...but like if i get a mild drop i probably will barley notice it.
tanabe gf210 (1.0/1.2) thinkin these might be to low?
swift spec R (1.2/1.0) to low in the front with the front lip...
swift sport (.8/.6) want these the most but hate that the front is lower then the rear. since i have a front lip it will look even lower.
rsr (.6/.6)
hotchkis (.6/.75) seems like the most suitable/best looking drop?

also after time wouldnt all these springs sag a tad bit lower?

Last edited by AVmagneticZ; 03-02-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2008 | 01:54 PM
Shawn_z

From what ive read, Hotchkis seem to be the best bang for the buck
You can run stock struts and they also offer a sway bar kit
Old 03-02-2008 | 02:28 PM
noodleman

i have the RSR springs, and knock on wood, but i've never bottomed out my car. I actively search and avoid pot holes though.

just so you know .6" drop is very mild, unless you're paying attention after you put on 19s, your car will look "stock", in a good way. I still ahve about 1-1.5 finger gaps left in my fenders, depending on how fat the fingers are :P
Old 03-02-2008 | 05:04 PM
AVmagneticZ

yah i know ill definetly be watchin for bumps in the road...it'll probably get annoying after a while. but i want a drop u can notice i guess? i saw pics of the hotchkis and without the before and after its hard to tell. but when u see it compared to before its a nice mild drop. the car is pretty low to begin with anyways. mines at stock height and my friend said he saw sparks front my exhaust one time when i hit a bump. but with the new wheels i wanna drop it some.
Old 03-02-2008 | 05:59 PM
toples z

you should be fine with any one of those set up's
Old 03-02-2008 | 08:17 PM
AVmagneticZ

Originally Posted by toples z
you should be fine with any one of those set up's
how low is your car?
Old 03-03-2008 | 03:56 AM
Reality350

Regardless of which setup you choose, make sure and watch out for potholes...
They usually dont get them fixed up until about may...
Old 03-03-2008 | 04:32 AM
2TH PWR

I've got Eibach Pro-kit springs which lower the car 1 inch all around. No problems with bottoming out yet. Most people comment that it looks really good. I am noticing some uneven tire wear though, so it might be time for a camber kit on the rear.
Old 03-03-2008 | 05:15 AM
toples z

Default tein flex

Originally Posted by AVmagneticZ
how low is your car?

about 1.6-2.0" in the front and 2.5-3.0" in the back. i have lots of room in the front of the car, but the back is too low. i will have to raise the back up about .5-1" this summer.
Old 03-03-2008 | 07:03 AM
edvy

i will strongly recommend you to have a coilover setup then lowering spring.. cuz most of the lower spring have a harder spring rate then stock setup. in that case u n ur z will encounter a lot more uncessary bouncing on bumpy pot hole gta land. and i m almost sure your car will bottom out on the 1st wk ..
we have had experience after putting in a tein type s on one of my customer's G35. you will also lose some sharp corner entries too. with a faster rebound rear end + little bouncing.. your handling will become funny.
Old 03-03-2008 | 10:11 AM
noodleman

Originally Posted by edvy
i will strongly recommend you to have a coilover setup then lowering spring.. cuz most of the lower spring have a harder spring rate then stock setup. in that case u n ur z will encounter a lot more uncessary bouncing on bumpy pot hole gta land. and i m almost sure your car will bottom out on the 1st wk ..
we have had experience after putting in a tein type s on one of my customer's G35. you will also lose some sharp corner entries too. with a faster rebound rear end + little bouncing.. your handling will become funny.
my RS*R springs have almost stock spring rates...only stiffer by like 10-20lbs. Maybe i'm not someone who tracks the car, but i couldn't really feel much of a difference than stock for day to day driving.
Old 03-03-2008 | 10:23 AM
goneinsixtyseconds

Originally Posted by noodleman
my RS*R springs have almost stock spring rates...only stiffer by like 10-20lbs. Maybe i'm not someone who tracks the car, but i couldn't really feel much of a difference than stock for day to day driving.
hard-parker FTL
Old 03-03-2008 | 11:58 AM
AVmagneticZ

i plan on gettin the rear camber kit as well. so if most of you are at least one in then i guess the tanabe springs would be fine. as for coilovers i cant afford those yet plus if i dont know if ill ever track the car yet so why spend all that money. ive heard pretty good things about just gettin springs and camber kits anyways.....i mean if its bad i could get aftermarket shocks. which will end up costin me as much as coilovers anyways. but my plan is springs now and in the future coilovers...just concerned bout how low its to low for these roads.
i mean if 2thpower has a 1" drop and lives in petawawa wherever that is...sounds like they'd have some pretty bumpy roads out there if hes good ill be good lol
Old 03-03-2008 | 01:30 PM
Reality350

i plan on gettin the rear camber kit as well. so if most of you are at least one in then i guess the tanabe springs would be fine. as for coilovers i cant afford those yet plus if i dont know if ill ever track the car yet so why spend all that money. ive heard pretty good things about just gettin springs and camber kits anyways.....i mean if its bad i could get aftermarket shocks. which will end up costin me as much as coilovers anyways. but my plan is springs now and in the future coilovers...just concerned bout how low its to low for these roads.
i mean if 2thpower has a 1" drop and lives in petawawa wherever that is...sounds like they'd have some pretty bumpy roads out there if hes good ill be good lol
I am running eibach prokit as well. You should not have any issues..
Old 03-03-2008 | 02:00 PM
AVmagneticZ

Originally Posted by Reality350
I am running eibach prokit as well. You should not have any issues..
ok cool so i guess im gonna go for the 1" drop then probably the tanabe's how do you like the eibachs? and why do they call it a prokit...is it just springs? and its 1" drop all around?
Old 03-03-2008 | 02:09 PM
2TH PWR

ok cool so i guess im gonna go for the 1" drop then probably the tanabe's how do you like the eibachs? and why do they call it a prokit...is it just springs? and its 1" drop all around?
Eibach has the "pro kit" which is a 1" drop, and the "sportline" kit which is a 1.2" drop. It's just a name for the kit.
Old 03-03-2008 | 02:28 PM
Reality350

I would get the gf210's.. Heard nothing but good things.
Old 03-03-2008 | 02:28 PM
AVmagneticZ

ohh ok thanks everybody for the input i think i have decided on the gf210's since everyone thinks i should be fine and its not to low. plus yah alotta of the owners on this site have these springs so they must be decent. and its a perfect drop i think...noticable..and not to low. and i like the fact the rear is .2 lower.
thanks again guys.

Last edited by AVmagneticZ; 03-03-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2008 | 06:42 PM
AVmagneticZ

reality 350 since u have the eibachs can you tell me some stuff about em. you like em? did they sag lower then 1" over a while? how long have you had them? hows the ride v.s stock after they've been worked in? would u buy again or choose something else?

so for minimal drop now lookin at
tein s tech and RSR
for 1" drop
eichbachs and swift spec r and tanabes ( a little more softer in rear same in front. which basically brings me back to the same rates as the unrevised older suspension? kinda dumb?)

also not sure if i understand the meaning of progressive springs totally. say the swifts. they are 316/421 r so is that to say on a small bump in the road the rate is 316 but like the more the spring is compressed the higher the rate progresses? is that right sorry im a noob....big noob.

help?

Last edited by AVmagneticZ; 03-03-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: drop advice