Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Has anyone heard of this intake before, or have one? DatooR

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 03:55 PM
XERMAN2001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone heard of this intake before, or have one? DatooR

I was on kijiji and I found a company called Datoor selling intakes for a really good price. They normally don’t sell to the public only to dealerships. The web site listed a bunch of retailers (dealerships) like Alta Nissan to buy their intakes from. I called the dealership and they said that they have had dealings with Datoor but not in a while. I called Datoor and they said that they have too much overstock and are going to sell the remaining to the general public. They said that the intake would retail for $380 at the dealer. (seems like to much for a non AEM or k&n to me) I am thinking that they have gone out of business and are trying to get rid of the rest of the inventory, I am unsure though.

My question is, have any of you had an intake installed by your dealer made by them or bought one from them directly or heard good or bad things about them?

I am thinking that if I buy it I will just buy a K&N cone anyway, I don’t know how good the filter that comes with it is.

web site http://www.datoor.com/airfilters.html
Old 06-09-2008, 04:01 PM
michaeljr6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

pop charger/nismo or bust
Old 06-09-2008, 06:29 PM
goneinsixtyseconds

never heard of datoor before. most nissan dealerships i've come across only carry official nismo aftermarket parts. but with a badge like this, it can't be bad can it?

Old 06-09-2008, 07:52 PM
XuperXero

Garbage, with 0 filtration, all of the road's element will go in your engine.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:08 PM
stanleylee

intake just a tube + filter
i love my fujita (the sound)
Old 06-10-2008, 03:49 AM
Reality350

If you have a non-revup, the pop charger is the best bang for your $.
If you have a rev-up, stick with the stock airbox.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:05 PM
XERMAN2001

Originally Posted by Reality350
If you have a non-revup, the pop charger is the best bang for your $.
If you have a rev-up, stick with the stock airbox.

mine is a 04 so its a non-revup. The pop charger is best bang for buck for flow and performance but I want more show (look) The polished pipe prob will make less hp because of the heat but I am looking for some show as well.

I was looking to put a good filter on it. I don’t care about having a fancy sticker on the intake pipe. As long as I have a good filter is a pipe not just a pipe. (If comparing pipes made of the same material, same rough diameter, both mandrel bent) Would there only be a slight possibility of minor hp loss due to different angled bends when comparing different pipes. And of course a possible difference in the quality and longevity of the pipe finish.

I have seen an AEM intake and a vibrant intake on a civic before, they both looked the same to me. AEM was $350 and vibrant was $135, as long as you put a good filter on the vibrant is it not just as good?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:27 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

In my experience, there are things you shoud bargain hunt for, and there are things that you should carefully consider what you are getting for your money.

I think this falls into the careful consideration category. You say your purpose is show. To me this means that you intend to show your car to other people who will be evaluating it. Who are you showing to? 350Z owners mostly, and most of us have been around the 350Z scene a long time and know which products are good, and which are not. A blinging intake like Franks here.....

will impress because of it's looks.

If you heed Church's advice and follow the functional route that will be respected in a show sense as well because you've done something that maximizes the performance of your car from an naturally aspirated perspective.

If you skimp out $200 dollars and buy a part which doesn't make sense from a performance or a show perspective, how much money have you really saved? Who will you impress? Who will you show it to? What does $200 mean to you over the course of owning your car?

You can switch up your stance on the issue and say you are modifying for you. But that doesn't necessarily hold true in most cases. I've never met a person who was into modifications who liked to keep them all to themselves, and didn't enjoy getting other people's reactions at car shows etc.

Last edited by 2TH PWR; 06-10-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:05 PM
XERMAN2001

I hear what you’re saying and I appreciate your input. That’s why I made this thread for input. I am carefully considering what I’m getting for the money, if I was not I would have bought it without asking for input from you guys. It’s a lot cheaper and I wanted to know if it was any good. I checked, Nissan dealers did buy from them, maybe the people buying them didn’t know what they were buying but people did buy these from the dealerships.

I want an intake for mostly sound and look, performance is a plus. I had a 150hp cavalier before, the 350 has enough power stock to satisfy me. (for now anyway)

I have noticed that on this forum that if you don’t have a top of the ine name brand product you have nothing. Your rims have to be Volk or they are crap, every other rim is a 2nd to it even if it looks nice. Brand can mean a lot, but it does not always mean it is a better product. For example 2TH PWR you paid the big money for an authentic INGs rear but if fit worse than the Nismo replicas on the sides and front. You paid for the name and it didn’t necessarily mean that it was better. (which i think sucks for you, if your paying that much for somthing it should be bang on)

Last edited by XERMAN2001; 06-10-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:13 PM
noodleman

it's more about quality than anything. There are plenty of other brands other than Volks that are perfectly acceptable (Work, Advan, BBS, SSR comes into mind).

there's a level of QC that happens with these brand names products. The quality of craftsmenship, materials used, and originality does not come cheap.

Perfect example is the XO2 exhaust, which is a replica of the HKS exhaust. Everyone at the beginning were saying that they were awesome and better than the HKS piece for half the price. they only ended up with a crappy exhaust that rusted to hell after about a year.

it's the same with most replica body kits. most require so much more prep or plain doesn't fit that at the end of the day you could've just bought the real thing.

if you're looking to replace the tube, look into Fujita, Injen, K&N, Nismo, HKS as your options. I highly suggest looking around this forum for options for your mods. I personally think you should get the car first before looking into modding options, but that's just me (unless your sig is out of date).
Old 06-10-2008, 05:34 PM
2TH PWR

Originally Posted by XERMAN2001
I hear what you’re saying and I appreciate your input. That’s why I made this thread for input. I am carefully considering what I’m getting for the money, if I was not I would have bought it without asking for input from you guys. It’s a lot cheaper and I wanted to know if it was any good. I checked, Nissan dealers did buy from them, maybe the people buying them didn’t know what they were buying but people did buy these from the dealerships.

I want an intake for mostly sound and look, performance is a plus. I had a 150hp cavalier before, the 350 has enough power stock to satisfy me. (for now anyway)

I have noticed that on this forum that if you don’t have a top of the ine name brand product you have nothing. Your rims have to be Volk or they are crap, every other rim is a 2nd to it even if it looks nice. Brand can mean a lot, but it does not always mean it is a better product. For example 2TH PWR you paid the big money for an authentic INGs rear but if fit worse than the Nismo replicas on the sides and front. You paid for the name and it didn’t necessarily mean that it was better. (which i think sucks for you, if your paying that much for somthing it should be bang on)

Yes, you're right. I ran into availabilty problems with the Nismo sides and front and didn't want to start the summer off stock. It turned out that the replicas in this case fit better than the authentic back.

But lets compare apples to apples. Project Shine Auto is well known for producing the best quality replicas out there. They have a proven track record. As soon as I inspected the materials I knew they'd be very similar. So the Nismo's have been successfully "knocked off" from a design stand point for years. I do respect the materials science going on at Project Shine Auto. Also, it's of note I returned my Shine Auto Nismo rears because they did not pass my test fit.

The INGS piece is a different story. Yes it happened to fit worse than my replica pieces, but have you seen the INGS replicas? I didn't pay for the name only, I paid for a part that no matter how bad a factory freak it was, INGS wouldn't let it touch my car without being in the realm of acceptable. Every replica of this piece is predictably terrible. No one has been able to reliably reporduce the INGS N SPEC rear. RevoMoto a sponsor here used to carry some replicas in it's line up, but dropped them because they were so awful. If I'd have gone with a replica rear it would have been disasterous. So I take my less than perfect INGS rear with a grain of salt. These are the types of decisions you have to make.

Honestly, around the 350Z crowd, I'm a little embarrassed by my 4 replica parts. I was forced into a corner based on availability, did my research and came out with an acceptable comprimise from my stand point. Will I ever get the same props as Cedric with his authentic kit (except for this wing)? No, and I shouldn't. His fits better, is smoother, and he supported the parts design industry more than I did.

So we aren't saying the top name brand is always best for your particular scenario. But it's always a good starting point. Sometimes you will have to justify deviations from that ideal to others, but more often to yourself.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:00 PM
XERMAN2001

The sig is out of date, I bought a car 3 weeks ago. I haven’t posted the car yet because I haven’t had a chance to take pics. I have been really busy with my Cavalier, I was just at the last car show with it this past weekend. And I have been putting allot of time into sell it. I won another award and clips of the car is going to be on Motoring2008, so that’s cool.

pic from show

I do hear what you saying with the bumper. I have experienced it myself. My cavalier has a urethane rk sport front bumper, it cost me $1300 installed. The sides and rear are fiber glass, cost $1000 installed. The sides and rear are no where near the quality of the front. The front just bolted on, fits like stock, as strong as stock, and has the same stock quality of look. The sides and rear needed work to fit, I couldn’t not find a urethane kit that I liked enough to justify the $2000 plus on the rest. But most cavalier people spend $1300 on a full fiber glass kit, the same as I did just on the front. I will not buy a fiber glass front for the 350, they stone chip way to easy and are not strong enough.

About the intake, I would not buy a no name tire, no name intake cone, no name audio, no name oil, no name gas. But I was considering a no name intake pipe. Considering.

Last edited by XERMAN2001; 06-10-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Kuruma-san

Lol those intakes are POS
Old 06-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pic from show

go away. and take your ricer intakes with you. I can't believe you actually 'showed' a cavalier. just, no. don't do it to the Z. keep the cavalier.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:13 PM
XERMAN2001

Show some love man.

I was going to buy a BMW 330 or a 350z, I joined both forums 3 months ago to gain information. The beamer guys said that the 330 is a much better car, and to buy one of them. The 350z guys said to buy a 350. MY jbody cavalier/sunfire people mostly said to buy a BMW or a G35 not many said they would buy a 350z. People like what they like, my cavy is clean, no lambo doors, crazy flame paint or shopping cart wing. I see lots of cars like them, I don’t like them, but I don’t give them attitude, if they ask I just say it not my taste.

Do what to the 350Z, I didn’t “rice” the cavalier?
Old 06-11-2008, 09:34 AM
mikhe

mine is a 04 so its a non-revup. The pop charger is best bang for buck for flow and performance but I want more show (look) The polished pipe prob will make less hp because of the heat but I am looking for some show as well.

I was looking to put a good filter on it. I don’t care about having a fancy sticker on the intake pipe. As long as I have a good filter is a pipe not just a pipe. (If comparing pipes made of the same material, same rough diameter, both mandrel bent) Would there only be a slight possibility of minor hp loss due to different angled bends when comparing different pipes. And of course a possible difference in the quality and longevity of the pipe finish.

I have seen an AEM intake and a vibrant intake on a civic before, they both looked the same to me. AEM was $350 and vibrant was $135, as long as you put a good filter on the vibrant is it not just as good?
different angel bent, heat on the intake pipe causing lost of HP, longevity of the intake pipe .
INFORMATION OVERFLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Show some love man.

I was going to buy a BMW 330 or a 350z, I joined both forums 3 months ago to gain information. The beamer guys said that the 330 is a much better car, and to buy one of them. The 350z guys said to buy a 350. MY jbody cavalier/sunfire people mostly said to buy a BMW or a G35 not many said they would buy a 350z. People like what they like, my cavy is clean, no lambo doors, crazy flame paint or shopping cart wing. I see lots of cars like them, I don’t like them, but I don’t give them attitude, if they ask I just say it not my taste.

Do what to the 350Z, I didn’t “rice” the cavalier?
your cavalier looks like ****. you have ricer headlights, ricer taillights (I can only imagine) ricer wheels, ricer painted calipers, ricer bodykit, ricer tint... if I had more pictures I could find more to be disgusted at, but I only have one picture.

keep it. it fits your style. this is a 350z owner saying: buy a 330i.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:36 AM
2TH PWR

Seriously guys. Tom! Providing information and an opinion on the intake is one thing, but you're going too far bashing his old ride and telling him to get lost.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Motormouth
Banned

dude sounds like he is gonna do nothing but rice the Z up. help the kid? I am not in canada so all I can do is help the Z he would buy, saving it from an embarrassing (and probably short) life.

options? how about he search this site and vendor sites? I guarantee he won't find a DatooR intake. I mean... comeon LOOK at those pieces of ****... anyone with a brain can tell they are junk. and not just the filters. if he went to some vendor sites, he would have ALL the options in the world, and most intakes are affordable.

he might also find out that putting an intake on is really a worthless mod, except for looks. not that it stops anyone (hey, even I have an intake!). but the prices he's talking about are ridiculous, unless it's an ARC pipe!

I guess I am jaded. we have alot of ricers in NJ, I deal with them constantly. and hate it. But tooth, I will be nice since he's a countryman of yours.

help?

ok here, go to these websites and see what your options are. stay away from Ebay and stay away from anything you see in the back of car magazines, jegs or JC Whitney for a while.

www.z1auto.com
www.mynismo.com
www.aspecproducts.com

Last edited by Motormouth; 06-11-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:15 AM
2TH PWR

Originally Posted by Motormouth
dude sounds like he is gonna do nothing but rice the Z up. help the kid? I am not in canada so all I can do is help the Z he would buy, saving it from an embarrassing (and probably short) life.

options? how about he search the site and vendor sites? I guarantee he won't find a DatooR intake. I mean... comeon LOOK at those pieces of ****... anyone with a brain can tell they are junk. and not just the filters. if he went to some vendor sites, he would have ALL the options in the world, and most intakes are affordable.

he might also find out that putting an intake on is really a worthless mod, except for looks. not that it stops anyone (hey, even I have an intake!). but the prices he's talking about are ridiculous, unless it's an ARC pipe!

I guess I am jaded. we have alot of ricers in NJ, I deal with them constantly. and hate it. But tooth, I will be nice since he's a countryman of yours.
haha, do what you want. You should be nice in general. The second wave of owners is coming. Can't bash them all. Just try to educate. And if that fails then you can hate? But you have to give educate a chance first.

Quick Reply: Has anyone heard of this intake before, or have one? DatooR