Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:09 PM
nick123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead battery

SO my battery was dead.....Ive been looking around for a new battery..ANyone know where to go...I called a local shop defcon for a price for interstate mega plus , its not the normal interstate, but they want 145 plus taxes and install price...is that normal..for 8 year warrenty....Did i mention its called mega tron plus..any good.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:25 PM
toples z

i have a optima yello top for sale $120 i used it for about 8 months but if you want new yor best bet is to go to costco and get a optima yellow top, best battery, i think they are going for 220 new
Old 08-23-2008, 01:04 PM
350ztoronto

most people here will direct you to optima lines, if you have or are thinking of a high powered audio system and even turbo, super charging your car, a poweful aftermarket battery is a must.

my own personal experiece the stock battery is fine if your car is stock, i had a 550 watt system usually most people will say if its lower then 1000 watts the stock battery is more then enough that is true but the problem is we are in toronto and during the winters if you store and do not trickle charge your battery expect to change the battery annually. The stock battery is not made to be totally drained and recharged or jumped it is not a deep cycle like the optimas.

i would recommend 'toples_z' optima yellow for 120 cost has it for 190$ and tax so roughy 210.

pay once cry once =D
Old 08-23-2008, 02:22 PM
nick123

gosh...I just bought the megaa tron plus from interstate....I wish i saw your post soooooner....I would have jumped on that yellow top...i paid soo much tooo 155 plus tax installed....I was desperate...
Old 08-28-2008, 02:10 PM
350ztoronto

its ok, just make sure during the winter if you store it disconnect the negative wire and store it somewhere else from the cold or trickle charge it, i've been through 3 batteries one aftermarket one all died because of our winters.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:24 PM
XuperXero

It has to be stored in a warm place. My friend just puts it next to his heater, not CLOSE though, but close to stay mildly warm.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:39 AM
Z ELIMINATOR

Default battery

Canadian Tire $90.00
Run great same warrenty or better than Nissan. Mine lived for 4 years and would not start the car.( factory battery).
The new battery fits perfectly.
No problems to date.
Nissan battery cost is 135.00 the tax.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:21 AM
BluRed

whoa another post im having problems with, first the window motor (but on the passenger side) since saturday, and now the battery, car wouldnt start this morning. it felt weak last night and wouldnt start in the morning and not even now. i wonder what is next to go...
Old 08-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BluRed
whoa another post im having problems with, first the window motor (but on the passenger side) since saturday, and now the battery, car wouldnt start this morning. it felt weak last night and wouldnt start in the morning and not even now. i wonder what is next to go...
Its your aftermarket alarm.. But after 4-5 years, you would want to swap out the OEM batt anyway.

Hope all goes well!
Old 08-29-2008, 08:06 PM
nick123

since i bought the car, ive been in the same boat as you..first my indicator bulbs, then my tire pressure sensors well 1 of em then programing, then my power window, now my battery...ahhhh.....and then my fuel evaporation system, i have a srs.....But, im not gonna fix the evap system...I figure, i dont care as long as it doesnt afeect milage or performance
Old 09-01-2008, 05:46 PM
BluRed

Originally Posted by Reality350
Its your aftermarket alarm.. But after 4-5 years, you would want to swap out the OEM batt anyway.

Hope all goes well!
the alarm will kill it? wells i got a new battery from nissan, came to 170 or something like that.. but now i have a new issue, the car would want to stall almost everytime i start it up. i would say 8 of 10 times it would want to stall by itself unless i rev it a bit then it would idle properly? any ideas? tried a search but no one has a direct answer...
Old 11-28-2011, 06:45 AM
MSP-D

sorry for bumping an old thread.....but I've been having problems with the OEM battery...

Had trouble starting the car last Tuesday. Basically when I try to crank the car, all the lights on the dash shut-off and I can't even get a crank. Jump started the car and it worked. Everything started fine from Tuesday - Friday. Didn't drive the car on Sat. and Sun., tried to start the car on Monday and same issue occured.

What I noticed during the week...when the car is running the volt meter shows 14, so the alternator seems to be working to recharge the battery....When the car is off with 2 clicks in the ignition...it would show 12volts when it started fine, but would sit at around 10 volts the two times it hasn't started......

The car is an 2005, so it's probably around time to change the OEM battery...but it seems odd that it works perfectly fine with no problem when using it everyday, but then suddenly decides to stop working after sitting for 2 days. I just want to make sure that the battery is the only issue based on the symtoms that I have before going ahead and purchasing a new one. Is there a possibility that there is something draining the battery when it's just sitting there for 2 days? I don't have any aftermarket sound systems or anything like that so it seems unlikely....

And does anyone know if the Costco Kirkland batteries have an application for the 350z?
Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

We don't have to deal with the cold Canadian winters here, but I just replaced my battery after 8 1/2 years. I checked around and the Nissan dealer was the cheapest place to get a battery and Nissan has the best warranty I could find. I got the battery for $108.00 including sales tax and installation. Since my original lasted so long, I decided to just stick with the Nissan battery.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:51 AM
FancyFeet

I just went through the same thing. It was very frustrating because it would only fail sometimes.

I was looking for a good price on an Optima when I came across this place

http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontari...td/161939.html

They hooked me up with a brand new Odyssey. they do sell Optimas but they believe these batteries to be superior. Who konws if he was feeding me a line but, he said these things wholesale for $240 but he bought a batch and hasn't been able to move them in a year, so he sold it to me for $100.

I'm new to the Z but all I know from shopping around is $100 is good for any battery for our car!

http://odysseybatteries.com/applications/auto.htm
Old 11-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Boorad

Origonal oem battery here stored every winter disconnect neg. And has never not started come spring (knocks on wood) ... I'm turbo'd , why would you say if boosted an aftermarket battery is a must, what's it have to do with anything?
Old 11-28-2011, 11:37 AM
tioga

I would stick with nissan too. My 2000 pathfinder batt lasted till 2009. It only had like 110,000 by 2009 it sat around a lot. (for a week or 2) Then I put a red top in it and after a year and a half it was garbage pretty much. Not sure who nissan uses to make there batts but when its time to get a new one for my Z I will stick with nissan.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:56 AM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MSP-D
The car is an 2005, so it's probably around time to change the OEM battery...but it seems odd that it works perfectly fine with no problem when using it everyday, but then suddenly decides to stop working after sitting for 2 days. I just want to make sure that the battery is the only issue based on the symtoms that I have before going ahead and purchasing a new one. Is there a possibility that there is something draining the battery when it's just sitting there for 2 days? I don't have any aftermarket sound systems or anything like that so it seems unlikely....

And does anyone know if the Costco Kirkland batteries have an application for the 350z?
Your battery is 7 years old. It's not holding a charge. Replace it.

Originally Posted by MSP-D
They should. 350z is group size battery "35". Make sure the terminals are in the correct spots because some batteries are reversed. The cables aren't long enough to fit reversed.

Other than that, have fun removing all that plastic to get the the battery. Make sure not to break any tabs and make sure to remove the line going to your wipers so you don't yank on it.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:36 PM
MSP-D

^ perfect, thanks for the tips. I have had good experiences with Kirkland batteries (made by Johnson controls - makers of Optima) so I will most likely stick with those.

In case anyone's interested I called the dealership and Canadian tire to get some prices for replacement batteries

Dealership - $142+ tax
Canadian tire - Motomaster Eliminator (with 3 year warranty) $91.99+ tax
Costco - Kirkland Batteries $74.99+tax