Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Importing car from US to Canada, any companies to do it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:48 AM
typespirit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing car from US to Canada, any companies to do it?

Hello,

I figured since some of the 350z owners in Toronto imported their 350z from the States, perhaps some owners might know a bit on what I am trying to find out.

I am looking to see if there are any local businesses in Toronto which can help me import a car from the US to Canada. I've done some research before and know that there are some paperwork etc to arrange at the border, as well as getting the car transported across the border etc.

Now i want to know if there are companies which I can pay a fee (and if so, approximately how much?) to take care of this process for me. And if anyone has tried, would you say its worthwhile?

I'd appreciate all the info I can get, thanks!
Old 10-23-2008, 08:04 AM
IVRY PRL

There was a thread on local dealerships... I seem to remember there was one that did importing, and people were actually pretty satisfied with. It was in this section, but I'm too lazy to dig it up for you
Old 10-23-2008, 08:11 AM
typespirit

Originally Posted by IVRY PRL
There was a thread on local dealerships... I seem to remember there was one that did importing, and people were actually pretty satisfied with. It was in this section, but I'm too lazy to dig it up for you
i shall attempt to find it, care to help?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:24 AM
IVRY PRL

https://my350z.com/forum/east-canada...-feedback.html
https://my350z.com/forum/east-canada...ing-z-usa.html
Old 10-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Kiriller

I have worked for a dealership in toronto, name will be disclosed dont want to advertise and break rules, but my job was updating their website, change price tags, tags on cars and going to border and doing paperwork to bring it in to canada. This dealership i worked at has the lowest prices on the market (their goal is to beat the competition by price and for what they get) Let me know, i can get you a deal for one of their z's, This is where i got my z in first place. Most of their cars are form usa, which is why they are cheap, and currently they are selling either less then 1 year old cars to roughly maximum 2 year old cars at good prices. Pm me for more info and what kind of car your looking to get. If you really want, i can maybe if my schedule is clear, come with you to the border and help you will all the paperwork. its not really a hard process, once you do it couple times, its easy
Old 10-23-2008, 08:38 AM
Kiriller

sry double post, but as i recall, they currently have actual less then 1k kilometer z (08) as well as i believe 07 which is less them 5km?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:45 AM
typespirit

kriller, thanks for your reply!

i am not actually considering importing a 350z, I am actually looking at FD RX-7s (have been my dream car for quite a while now, now I am being proactive). This is the reason why I am looking for a company to help me import, as it could possibly be from a private seller in the states, or through a used car dealership.

If the company which you mentioned would be able to help a customer import a vehicle for a fee, then please PM me the necessary info and I will definitely get in touch!
Old 10-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Kiriller

Originally Posted by typespirit
If the company which you mentioned would be able to help a customer import a vehicle for a fee, then please PM me the necessary info and I will definitely get in touch!
pm me the actual car you want, year range, colors prefered and milege, i will ask them if they are able to find one of these cars on many of the auctions they attend, ill let you know. i do not think they will import a car if you find it in states and all that, they mostly get their cars from auctions..

if you do not hear me a week from your pm, most likely they cannot find that car on their auctions.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:01 AM
typespirit

Originally Posted by Kiriller
pm me the actual car you want, year range, colors prefered and milege, i will ask them if they are able to find one of these cars on many of the auctions they attend, ill let you know. i do not think they will import a car if you find it in states and all that, they mostly get their cars from auctions..

if you do not hear me a week from your pm, most likely they cannot find that car on their auctions.
PM'ed!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Kiriller

Pm'ed back right at you
Old 10-23-2008, 09:16 AM
IVRY PRL

Aah, that explains the spirit in the name. Good luck with your search, I personally don't think you'll find one at auction.
I realize it may seem like a hassle, but for an older car like that, I would definitely want to pick and view it myself. I would only trust a dealer to pick for me, if I were looking at a car that's less than 2 years old and has under 10k on it.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:45 AM
rzua5

I don't know if this is still a good idea to import cars from the states due our weak canadian dollar
Old 10-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Kiriller

Originally Posted by rzua5
I don't know if this is still a good idea to import cars from the states due our weak canadian dollar
also true, but hard to find a good car in canada... alot of people import from japan btw, only downside steering wheel on other side. form jap they sell em dirt cheap but u cannot know for sure if odometer has been rolled, its legal there.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kiriller
also true, but hard to find a good car in canada... alot of people import from japan btw, only downside steering wheel on other side. form jap they sell em dirt cheap but u cannot know for sure if odometer has been rolled, its legal there.
If importing from japan, you may want to get an insurance estimate first.. I believe most have issues because its a RHD import.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:45 AM
typespirit

I am not looking to import a JDM RX7, i tried driving a RHD car earlier this year and the inconveniences are too great.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:25 PM
g35koupe

Hey,

I used to import cars when the dollar was good (I can't believe how the dollar has dropped in the last 6 months, let alone this last month). With the exchange rate as it is right now, odds are you'll find better deals over here. If you need help with the process, feel free to PM me, and I'd be glad to help you out.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 PM
typespirit

ok it seems like i found my dream car on ebay motors, anyone know any toronto companies that deal especially with ebay motor auctions and importing?
Old 11-26-2008, 05:14 AM
350z-Jim

Bringing a car over yourself is not that hard dude. You file the paperwork with the border ahead of time so it's all set when you get there. Fly down drive it home.

If you don't want to do that, there are companies (call some dealerships around) but they charge about $1500-2000 to do that for you including shipping the car on a truck.

I know Pfaff leasing did it for my buddies Porsche.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:32 AM
Reality350

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
Bringing a car over yourself is not that hard dude. You file the paperwork with the border ahead of time so it's all set when you get there. Fly down drive it home.

If you don't want to do that, there are companies (call some dealerships around) but they charge about $1500-2000 to do that for you including shipping the car on a truck.

I know Pfaff leasing did it for my buddies Porsche.
He is correct
Old 11-26-2008, 08:21 AM
WonJeremy

is there a point of doing this now with the current exchange rate?

Quick Reply: Importing car from US to Canada, any companies to do it?